TreeStuff - APTA - Wow!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nick, those new snubby APTA's look great. I only see the Big Boy APTA on the web site. Any pictures close up of the newer smaller ones?

Tell me about the handle apparatus...that looks real handy. Can I retrofit mine with one?

I have a bicycle pump that pushes out air on both the pull and push of the plunger, but it's made over here. I looked around a little on the web, and there seems to be similar available for inflating rafts and such. You want a standing pump, not a mini hand held pump. The one I have works real well, means less pumping. It seems like a portable air tank that you could fill up with your compressor at home, then take to the job, would be a good way to go as well. It might give you a lot of shots before running out of air.

Totally agree on the portable air tank...I hope to get a scuba tank or firefighter air-pack (fiberglass tank, lighter weight) with a nozzle that I can use for refills. That would be ideal. Might even mount an access point on the outside of my tree trailer...just push the APTA up against the trailer to recharge.

Still, my bicycle pump only takes 15 pumps to hit about 70 foot shots. I can make 40 ft with about 12-13 pumps. Several TIPs lately have been in smaller trees or only needed 40 feet...got good consistency of height with each shot.

Your push-pull pump sounds like a good idea, too.

Spec's available on the new models?

The Working Climber is literally playing on my tv right now... Pt. 3... anyways.

Spes are:

Barrel Length: 23"
Air chamber length: 23"
1 1/2" Polished Aluminum Pipe
Galvanized Steel Air Chamber End Cap
Brass Ball Valve
Filled with any air chuck made for a standard schrader valve

At 160 PSI I would definitley say you can safley count on 100' every time. Well have to do alot of shooting and take an average to get some solid stats out there. Ill get with Nick... It doesnt take much to convince him to shoot an APTA...

What throwbag weight has shown the best results? I think the max psi we got today was 115, but it was with an old bike pump.

What is the orange thrown line tied around the end cap for?

That keeps you from losing the end cap...that cap protects the air valve from the ground (and protects your leg if you base it on the top of your thigh...capisce?)

Exactly, and 12 oz throwbags are what weve been using the most, they seem to get good distance, as well as being a good size to provide a good seal in the barrel.

Happy 4th

Here is something I am working on with my APTA...an APTA-adapta (sorry!!)

To secure the air input valve cap from loss...I need a thinner knot/line. When tightened it can push the valve and let some air out.

I drilled a hole in the cap and tied an overhand knot.

I may insert a small headed bolt from inside the cap and nut it and tie that.

And also how I am bundling my APTA, pump and (bamboo) ramrod for carry.

Attachments

• apta-adapta_001.jpg
    apta-adapta_001.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 109
  • apta-adapta_002.jpg
    apta-adapta_002.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 109
  • apta-adapta_004.jpg
    apta-adapta_004.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 110
  • apta-adapta_005.jpg
    apta-adapta_005.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 109
Benhughey...what throw line are you using?

10-4 on bag size...mine is either 12 or 14 oz, a good snug fit and gives good consistency (hit the EXACT same [wrong] spot 3 times recently at 60 feet...great group, poor point of aim).

And my bag is rough cloth, not plastic/leather type...I assume they do fine, too.

Mine does pick up moisture/dirt pretty easily...may go to smoother, non-porous finish.

Does the APTA only work with a conventional throw bag? If so, that is it's downfall.

Any advantage gained by a very accurate launcher is negated by using a very inefficient projectile. If it can launch a RopeKnight then it could be the best system conceivable.

...Any advantage gained by a very accurate launcher is negated by using a very inefficient projectile...

I will counter that with any advantage you may gain with a hard throw weight will be lost when you realize you can "hit the mark" in any tree, from any angle with the first shot.

Benhughey...what throw line are you using?

10-4 on bag size...mine is either 12 or 14 oz, a good snug fit and gives good consistency (hit the EXACT same [wrong] spot 3 times recently at 60 feet...great group, poor point of aim).

And my bag is rough cloth, not plastic/leather type...I assume they do fine, too.

Mine does pick up moisture/dirt pretty easily...may go to smoother, non-porous finish.

2.2 treestuff line, and weaver premium weights. And sometime my frankenline which is leading with 1.75 for about 75 ft. followed by some polypropylene slickline. gotta love it.

We gotta get you that handle man!

How about this.... If you have the early version of the APTA and need a handle. PM me your address and I will talk to the honcho and get one out to you.

I once modified an air powered rocket to set lines in a tree. It was originally a stationary gadget and you used a tire pump to build up air pressure. A thin plastic disk would rupture and release the compressed air, thus propelling the rocket hundreds of feet! My mod converted it to a hand-held device and I use a CO2 cartridge to build the pressure and rupture the disk. Adapted a spin reel to the unit and tied the line to the projectile, and there it was. I had to weight the projectile so it would pull the fishing down to the ground. That reduced its range quite a bit, but was still good for heights up to a little better than 100 feet. It proved more a novelty than a practical device, but I had a lot of fun developing it and trying each mod in the field. I made a video of it. Where it's at right now I'm not too sure. Fun times though.

Back