TreeStuff - APTA - Wow!

Perhaps it should be loaded before pumping to prevent an accidental discharge while loading. That makes sense.

I do it just the opposite. Prior to priming the APTA and loading it, I select my target branch so I know which way it will be pointing. Then I fill it prior to loading the bag, since it is easier to fill it without the bag and string possibly getting dropped out or tangled as I move the APTA around for convenience. The throw bag has been tied on the string and is at the shooting station ready to go. If there is an accidental discharge, I don't want anything but air coming out while the APTA is being moved around. Once it is charged, and I am in place, the bag is loaded, ring first, which seems to be more accurate and smoother. With the proper preparation and a little forethought, it is easy to maintain a safe orientation at all times.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can see that being a good way to do it, too. If shooting from a tangled, thick area it makes sense to take the line and bag there contained (in a bucket for me) rather than hanging out the end of the APTA where the line would get snagged.

Seeing the APTA in action at the Ohio tree climbing comp sure impressed everybody at work

This is awsome! The APTA is a great invention by Nick Bonner, and I actually hand make all of them at the TreeStuff warehouse. Its awsome to see so many positive responses! The APTA you have was the (for all intensive purposes) Gen I. Since then, Nick is constantly coming up with modifications, to make it the most optimal for you all. The latest, which seems to be the most practical, Is just under 4 feet in length, and features a second handle that is put behind, the ball valve. It also is of a little more sturdy construction as well. So now not only is it already awsome because dudes like things that shoot stuff, but now, you have an even fancier thing... that shoots stuff. We tested the shortened air chamber and shortened barrel and got great results. If you look at the TreeStuff latest video of the APTA you can see me and Nick firing a 12 oz. weaver premium with 2.2 line attached at a pizza pan we strung between two tops about 50 feet up. Again I love seeing these getting good reviews. Really cool to see something you make being put to action.

Feel free for any suggestions... and dont shoot yourself in the face. That would suck.

hahaha..yep, shot in the face does suck!!

Good to read you, benhughey. I am using the heck out of my APTA...loving it. I set some high lines two days ago at my son's house...rigged a high line to suspend a block from as a high belay for some telephone poles we were setting.

He had a big compressor right there at the shop which made charging the APTA super easy.

Attachments

• APTA_002.jpg
    APTA_002.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 97
  • APTA_001.jpg
    APTA_001.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 101
  • APTA_003.jpg
    APTA_003.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 101
Ah man thats awsome. Ive been kind of curious of how well one of those C02 quick pump things for bike pumps would do. Not a whole lotta hope there, but worth the try... always... worth the try. We used my APTA this weekend out on the boat, and shot water at each other with it. Ooooh aaaah the versatility.

Side note.. You said "getting shot in the face DOES suck" soooo is there a backstory here. hahaha I have a really funny (to your despair) vision going through my head right now.

can anyone at Treestuff please tell if Australian customs will let this pretty baby in to the country, I know it may sound poxy to some but you would be surprised at what we are not allowed to import for the most petty reasons. That would be well appreciated, Cheers.

For the shipping and the customs BS, make your own. I made mine and it works great. Not to take anything from Nick, but it is just a few simple components.

Side note.. You said "getting shot in the face DOES suck" soooo is there a backstory here. hahaha I have a really funny (to your despair) vision going through my head right now.

Ha...I noticed the verb tense when I wrote that but let it go...no, haven't been shot in the face yet...I am very aware of that bag and how quickly it moves out the barrel. I treat the APTA like a rifle...only gets pointed at things that I mean to get shot.

Ha...I noticed the verb tense when I wrote that but let it go...no, haven't been shot in the face yet...I am very aware of that bag and how quickly it moves out the barrel. I treat the APTA like a rifle...only gets pointed at things that I mean to get shot.

Id say thats a pretty good rule to go by.

We shipped your today or yesterday Fred. Its a bit different, than what you see in the photo. Ben and I have tweaked the design a lot lately. After making an airplane friendly version for my trip to North Dakota, some new options became apparent. I think you will like what we came up with.

Back