Tree felling vids

That was a cool vid. I like this one they made too, and it even has trees.... 2:30, crazy shot...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5OJw2LGCrdc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Notched and backcut both top leaders to ensure the piece would fold up when it landed and not bounce into house?

Loved that Fallers one, awesome. Thanks Stephen.

This guy, Harrison edwards has some cool vids
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/A3c3_SSE8A4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He even replayed it in slow motion, it was a bad move that he could have edited out if he wished to appear "perfect". I find sometimes when you're having fun in a tree and super relaxed that's when some complacency can creep in, double edged sword.

looks like it could hve easily cut him in the groin, he could have bled out in 60 seconds... such a bad move.. left handed.. horizontal, in plane with and close to the body with a second limb close to the tip...

He is a smooth operator, more practiced than me. But I see things that concern me...seldom wraps that thumb to secure the saw, almost too casual with the saw. It can look like practiced confidence but I think he is very likely to hurt himself. The saw seems to float around and drop in directions that violate (or at least push) safety zones.

He was definitely "killing it"....producing a lot of work quickly. But I'm not convinced his workflow is as safe as it should be. Some of you production guys can evaluate better than this part timer.

He killed his lanyard for sure!... and if you look closely you can see he had another similar cut where he was one handing near his boot, easily could have cut himself there too. Just before that lanyard nicking incident. While you may be impressed by his rigging and bombing capabilities, he certainly has some sloppy moves that could wind up getting him hurt or killed. It's a matter of odds.. if he keeps making sloppy cuyts every day, 5 days a week, 45 weeks a year, x 10, 20 or 30 years.. the odds are going to catch up to him. He's goinr to get complacent if he isn't already.. and if he doesn't take those small mishaps as God giving him a warning, he's going to mess up.. hopefully not too bad and he learns his lesson... In the mean time we all can learn a little something from that video... Apparently we have much different perspectives... That tree took him 2 days.. plenty of room to up his game!

PS.. I AM with you Gary.. "not as safe as it could be" is mighty polite!

The guy is moving fast as hell and uses editing to cram scenes together and cut out filler. That tree could have taken 6 hours for all we know. He was just making himself look like he's a whiz for YouTube.

Next.

Lol. I must have been sucked in. I don't watch a ton of tree vids nowadays. But what I saw looked like some decent rigging and decent laying out of leads into tightish drops. I guess the editing/speed does a lot to make it look like 'he's killing it'. Hard to get much perspective of what the whole job/tree entailed. I didn't really notice his thumb wrapping or not but I did see him nick his lanyard, I mean it was replayed in slow motion. I think if the guy was trying to be a total you tube whiz he could easily have edited that out. I took it as acknowledging the mistake/close call by leaving it in there to share with all. Climbing you end up cutting in ackward positions.

Murph anyone can get/be better. I was kind of surprised to see the second day thing on there too with the size of the tree but heh I wasn't there? Rigging is a lot trickier without a boom. I know. I loved my boom. Lol.

true enough.. I can't criticize him for taking two days when without the bucket it would take me a month!!!! AT least my feet would be sore for a month after standsing in the hooks that long!
And I give him big props for showing the mistake. I try to show mine when I think it might help someone learn what not to do... good on him!

I have been focusing a good bit of attention on streramlining the cutting process from the bucket.. no wasted movements ... everyone gets so jacked about climbing gear and skills, it seems like cutting skills are really overlooked for the most part...

Which brings me back to the cut made taking the dry top of that oak out... close to 24" with a 16" bar, had to jump the piece, no pull line, to get it to clear the lower growth which is mostly sprouts... and the top was so thick near the cut that I couldn't maneuver the bucket.. had to make the entire cut from one position, without reaching even my arms around the far side of the trunk... the cut took exzactly 100 seconds which seems like a long time, but really isn't when you think about making that big of a cut, notch and back cut with a 16" bar..

Back