Tree felling vids

It's always so interesting to hear sawbuilders talk about their work. Like they are imbuing a sword with magical properties or something. It's awesome.

That's how I ended up with a bunch of Husky stuff in the beginning. There was a thread on a brand new 660 and a brand new 390, and the "fit and finish" on the husky was noticeably better once he had all the plastic pulled away. I was deep in the 390 vs 660 debate at the time. But yeah, it was sawbuilders going over the really fine points that made up my mind for me.

good stuff.

I would have loved to get him to comment, but of course... no luck. The guy's super incommunicado... timber faller.

Yin n yang- The guy puts out vids of himself for the masses to consume but then he doesn't talk to one Jed. :/:

:lol: (I would put 10,000 lol's cause the truth is I've been sitting here laughing for a good 7 seconds.)

Yeah, we certainly won't fault him for that. :drink:

Very artful drop in big wood!
i'd call this 'snipe' a type of step (or slide?)Dutchman;
in that it blocks 1 side of (fairly narrow) face, pushing across to the other face that it offers as path of least resistance.
(terminology check:Add tapered Hinge for type of swing dutchy?)
This also shows working the L-R sides of face/front field as independents(not generically as 1 system across face), like we do backfield/tapered hinge.
Early close/push of step dutch is the equal/opposite answer to early(compared to the non-tapered side) stretch/pull of tapered hinge.
i'd also use this dutch close or slide for head clearance (though on smaller stuff);
If clear path for head was to roll aside similarly, or even then tuck back in across opposite direction,
in fact the obstructing tree heads could help it roll so;
pushing head with high leverage distance to hinge as pivot;
plot so hinge/face and head pushes work in harmony/not conflict to usher tree aside; seeking path of least resistance.
i always think the slide rather than flat dutch can be better/safer(but depends on how much you need to 'risk' getting the effect):
Slide, rather than step down/block out :Easier to make than taking block out 1 side to lower face &
Mechanix to me take less abrupt change:
Flat dutch more likely to switch from hyper-compressed part of hinge as leveraged pivot distance from holding wood
to most pressure on dutch close, making close not hinge; the pivot of mechanix suddenly(in schematic drawing),
with immediately longer leveraged distance suddenly to holding wood.
This (i think) can give more of the fade/fake to sideLean side some, then pull across sweep to opposite side.
Actual use i've kinda gotten more of a C or sideways V action in felling,
(hyperloads, then reacts; tapered hinge alone more consistent, progressive pulls i think)
Dutch physics safer in climb/rig usage load ranges :
plot kerf close on bottom(like sidelean is down), tapered hinge at top to try sweep across
and bucking top bind:
placing kerf close high(like high is sidelean) at most intense pinch to push across to less intense pinch side close as tapered hinge pulls on lower side of hinge too.
Always liked examining things across the loading ranges to test and prove theories in all 3 phases: climbing, felling, bucking.
In simplification i look at push in face while pulling back on opposite side as same with grocery cart:
Hold right hand solid and pull back with left, not as dramatic as push with right and pull back with left
effects more magnified, the farther apart(leveraged distance) R_push and L_pull are;
more effective with case of beer back towards you, rather than in nose of cart etc.
(shows center of balance adjustment in otherwise empty cart; and reason to buy beer)

Very well explained.
We used it on a top of a Hazard beech that Richard dropped last week.
It would hit other trees on the way. so to make sure it didn't come back on the "stump" ( 60 foot stump) and land in his lap, he put in a deep obtuse snipe.
Watching it break the hinge and slide sideways off the snipe, My first thought was: " Wish I'd videoed this for the Treehouse".

It just worked so perfectly :)

Not really a felling vid, but book marked as important, and there be mo' : tinyurl.com/tree-topping-forces

<object width="600" height="475"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OcKBnZqeJso&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OcKBnZqeJso&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hell yeah i remember this ride!

Skinny, skinny target! Hats off! Cool muzak!
i think if going this route: slow rope draw, total control into wide face try to hinge all the way to ground.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JJXPXTaVlMY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Wonder if could have thrown between pole and util shed; even if had to drop line.

Some would say we do wild, crazy, stupid chit;
That's ok, not everyone smart enough to do the stupid chit that we do!
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/A38tbdu6ugk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But, can serve to thin the shallow end of the gene pool from extraneous matter:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LEJEUPXDRe8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gawd some of those are hard to watch. Makes ya feel lil jumpy about cutting trees even if you know what you are doing.

Ha!!...making a bad day even worse lol

I wounder if he saved a bunch of money doing it himself :|::|:

Amazing how the tree did so little damage.

FORD TOUGH!
Interesting observation
It barberchaired,,,, making the pivot point a lot higher than the hinge and then the roof of the house took the impact from the top and kept it pretty high so the tree never made it anywhere near the ground... he might have gotten away with a new tailgate and dent in the roof, but her probably broke the windshield at least, might have boweed the whole cab..
I was thinking it was going to crush the cab and kill the driver... maybe a lesson to learn about the potential damage that can be done by a tree when it is so close

Back