Tree felling vids

So... by that, you just mean that they can be some long days... Right? So: the funny thing, to me, would be that you're wasting time to set up the camera, so that we can see him almost getting killed, hey?

I mean it's steep and deep. I've worked settings that have had cliffs in them. That looked fairly tame for steepness, I'm guessing because that's the easier times to set up the camera.

Production falling is a demanding job, as I'm sure it is down your way too. If you aren't putting the wood on the ground, you won't be doing it for long.

Yeah, squish, I wouldn't have a clue. At 42 yrs old, I doubt if I cld handle it. If I cld, I doubt if I cld handle the travel time, (time away from family). Still, I'd love to give it a shot. It's just so darn slow down here.

That faller was obviously highly skilled imo. Looked like internal splitting from rot etc pinched his saw and that was that.

Ha... figured as much. Years ago, I met a Canadian faller who told exactly the same tale. They used to brew beer in those 20 gallon Brute trashcans. :lol:

So... by that, you just mean that they can be some long days... Right? So: the funny thing, to me, would be that you're wasting time to set up the camera, so that we can see him almost getting killed, hey?

That is kinda funny. But I do appreciate people that take the time to video/photograph stuff. I don't really ever, never have. And good on him for keeping it real and showing that barber chair.

I've flown the chopper rides along the water just like that. He shoulda got a shot of the rotors throwing up spray.

The pay was decent. Often production, pushing 3bills a day average for the shift. The food was unreal, your room was swept and bed was made everyday. You did your own laundry, machines supplied. It was ideal as a younger guy. Gotta think with the pay too, that was 15 to 20+ years ago. Most camps had a bar/common room with pool tables and stuff. I never worked in a dry camp. A blind eye was turned to smoking the green. I can't say enough about the food, it was bottomless, 2 to 3 main options for dinner and all the fixings. Breakfast was like a cafeteria, place your order with the cook for eggs, pancakes, waffles or whatever and then fill your plate with hashbrowns, bacon, fruit, granola, whatever you can think of and at the end was your order. Lunches were all laid out on big tables with all the fixings, you made your own sammiches and endless fruit, cookies and stuff. Desserts were awesome. The best camp I worked in had it's own ice cream chest with 8 or 10 flavors. Mess hall was open 24/7. Breakfast/lunch making was only in the morning and dinner had a set timeframe but there where always a few tables loaded with whatever for snacks and soup available whenever.

Cory: I think that that was just a heavy head-leaner. Limb weight etc.

His saw got pinched before the barber chair. Saw stopped cutting so barber chair happens, right?

Squish, you are making me hungry with that description of camp food.

So the food was great, the money was good. No doubt it was beautiful country. But did you ever get sick of being in the middle of nowhere? Just wondering. Heck maybe being in the middle of nowhere had a thrill to it, that wouldn't surprise me.

It grew old. Seven years in, hard to have a relationship. Atleast a meaningful one.

The isolation was awesome to me. You could fish off the dock after work, surf sometimes not far from camp. Some beautiful country for sure. I dislike people in general(not anyone here though, Treehouse Rocks!) so being away from it all was nice. Some camps were big too and kinda like a small community. Pull a double for whatever reason though and I was jonesing to get out.

Cory: Naw, man, I think it pinched his saw BECAUSE it barber chaired. When the tree starts to run the split up vertically, it enables the cut-up portion to sit down hard.... right before it peals!

Yes, lol. I started in the camps down there at 17, just before my 18th birthday. I graduated highschool young.

We used to pick up our cheques in JJ's in Campbell River. A strip club, our foreman was nuts about strippers. He'd make a big production of handing out all the envelopes, quite a education for a youngster. I wasn't even old enough to be in a bar (19 here). Quite a education indeed.

Looks like Coastal BC to me. SOP. Anyone wanting to knock that fellas techniques needs to walk a day in those Vibergs.

So it is SOP to let trees barberchair like that.
What is the average life expectancy for fallers up there.........2 weeks?

The fact that I wear Wescos, not Vibergs is not going to keep me from saying that he screwed up.

2:48 in that vid is very hairy. Stig, you say he let the tree barberchair, so what do you see that he did improperly? i'm assuming that he had a sufficient face put in, and I can't see any reason for what happened, unless the tree was impeded in it's fall by the smaller one next to it, and then the butt split and kicked back.

So it is SOP to let trees barberchair like that.
What is the average life expectancy for fallers up there.........2 weeks?

The fact that I wear Wescos, not Vibergs is not going to keep me from saying that he screwed up.

Easy flatlander.

Back