This is the Akimbo

Jamie? Where are ya mang?

So, I did FINALLY get to try out some more 1/2 inch line in the Akimbo.

I used the Samson's Big Foot version of the Arbor Master line and it worked a dream in the devise.
SRT and Ddrt both natural crotch and with FS did great. Smooth.

There is a learning curve in the set up of the devise for each rope. Low and slow people. Really test out what rope you are trying in it after adjusting the eccentric bearing and cam. There is a fine balance in the final tune. Nice that it is easily enough adjusted in the tree if issues arise. Tie your self off and proceed to adjust it.
I would favour using it only on a certain rope I would favour for most my work and not switch it up as much as I switch up my ropes from job to job, or have more than one.
Obviously it works well with a rope with a firmer hand and not too soft. Too soft being like True Blue or Vortex in your 1/2 inch lines.
Loves the poison ivy family lines. Bandit worked well with it as well, slightly smaller..
It really is a well thought out and beautiful devise that once dialed in, is intuitive and tends well. Grabs well.
Well done Jamie :thumbup:

Good to hear about the various set ups it works well in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
its getting really close. im about to order 600 washers and 400 thrust bearings tonight. some of the detailed drawings are done. i made a minor modification to the adjustment lock arms so that they dont swing up above the edges of the sides. less likely to get bent that way. i also had parts water jet cut for 25 units. gave me a chance to check for bugs and try out the hardware choices. one went to an interested company, one will go to Kevin Bingham, and a few will go to other interested companies. a few might make the rounds to replace the one out at the moment;). IMG_1888.jpg

Water-jet cutting steel, is it just me or is that incredible?

Water-jet cutting steel, is it just me or is that incredible?
It looks like, but it works well. It gives a clean finished cut without any tension / discoloration due to the hight temps used by the other cutting heads. It just doesn't use plain water, but added with abrasive powder.

I bet the steel version is more durable. Of course, if you get slack in your line and have it on a rope bridge, having a chunk of steel that size hit you between the legs won't be pleasant!

Last edited:
Back