This is the Akimbo

Good for testing gear though. Tons of walking and climbing and positioning in the tree. Work positioning puts kit through it's paces quite well. Not so much with a straight up single stem.

Good for kissing opportunities, too.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aUtqQpUH718" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stephan, the upper cam makes adjustments a bit counterintuitive. The top adjustment should be positioned snug to the rope. If it is too loose the cam swings up and locks off the rope. Once the top is set, fiddle with the lower adjustment to get the right feel. Or it just might not work on that rope.

Also, the next version will be wider inside.

Nice to see all the progress going on.

Bstewert, nice looking shop you have there.

....The Vortex was not smooth on decent....Could be the softness (hand) of the Vortex rope. Might be flattening out too much (rope construction)....

Jaime still has some tricks up his Akimbo sleeves but as it is now, I'm thinking that Vortex is not looking like the best rope for this tool. Primarily for the reasons you stated, Stephan.

How I see it. Rope is just too soft, flattens out a bit too much.. etc etc.
I am going to try a couple different constructions of the 1/2" though just to run it through the paces.
I thought I was going to get some removal time on it today and that plan got changed last minute. I will be back on that job tomorrow to do the removals and give her a go on the 11mm Bandit.

Tachyon 11.5 works real fine. The weather here kind a sucks at the moment, for climbing.

Was kind of chomping the bit here too. Icy in some places. Still snow in others.
I really had to wait a bit as the trees had horrible snow loads on them for a few days.

Just intrigued and baffled...

I was trying to work out how the top arm and the lower arm could be approximately an inch closer together than the CBB (and also not need a further swivel chain-type link beneath the top arm)...

Having never tried this yet - the best I can come up with is that the climbers weight when put on the life support clip in point (which crucially doubles as a cam, or you could call it a sort of smooth rope grab) actually adds a great deal to the friction (by squeezing the rope against the lower friction pin/shaft).

Just intrigued and baffled....

Good comments. Like so many things, the devil is in the details. The lower cam on the Akimbo is opposed by a larger diameter roller as compared to the pin on the CBB. This not only disperses the force over a larger area but does so more smoothly, with less bunching or milking tendencies. Combining this with an upper cam gives the Akimbo a very large amount of friction area for the size of the device. Large smooth friction contact patches have consistently translated into ease in controllability.

This is so cool - it's sparking off so many ideas in my head (like modifying/destroying a perfectly good rope grab/art positioner) - not that no-one's ever tried before. :blob5:

Time, money, means... ect.

That is one happy kiddo :)
Really happy for you Jamie :)

Ran the Akimbo SRT and Ddrt on 11mm Bandit line. Took a couple times to dial in and there is a knack to it. Trying some other line on it Saturday.
There is a fine line of performance in dialling in the unit for tending and advancing. Then still have it right for descending. The Ddrt functions nicely. Should really make some of the old school climbers happy.
The HO where I was working saw the unit as I was getting ready to partially remove a 1/2 dead oak tree. He was very impressed with the construction of it.

Cute mini human you've got there. Is he generally happy like that? Jaxson, (3yrs old now) has always been a happy kid. The lady at the grocery store checkout still tells me how amazed she was by how happy he always as a baby, hopefully you'll have similar luck. :thumbup:

Back