This is the Akimbo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
CPA is filing the corporation paperwork for me this week I believe. After that is squared away I can move the money. As far as manufacturers, I don't want to say too much but that there is a lot of interest. I don't want to rush into anything, and I need some units to send to interested parties before making any deals. On that front it looks like I might have parts in hand by end of jan. machinist is going on holiday for two weeks around new year and the general holiday crazy at work is slowing things down. Fingers crossed!

Fine report for the "stockholders"...:D

I like your studied pace...no sense rushing at this point.

stock-photo-stop-hurrying-or-rushing-and-rat-race-no-stressful-life-stress-free-living-relax-and-take-your-313129094.jpg

Be aware that you need to get it CE approved if you want to sell it in Europe, as I found out when I tried to take the ISA/ETW test using American gear.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, I've thought about that Stig. If its picked up by a manufacturer I would expect they would look into that. Otherwise, several people in Europe have contacted me and offered to help get it certed one way or another.

Fine report for the "stockholders"...:D

I like your studied pace...no sense rushing at this point.

stock-photo-stop-hurrying-or-rushing-and-rat-race-no-stressful-life-stress-free-living-relax-and-take-your-313129094.jpg

Love the phrase 'studied pace' - it's the way I like to do things too (though I'll probably never invent an akimbo ;) ).

I'll be sitting on the sidelines in the next year - seeing how this develops. Plenty of climbers much better than I ready to report their findings. In the meantime - I still have much to learn on the CBB. This is very inspiring and interesting.

SO Bob sent me the Akimbo and it arrived right before Christmas. Unfortunately, so did a snow storm :lol:
I got to fly on it yesterday for a bit. Ran up one of our easy oaks. Low and slow and all of that. The unit looked like it had been recently on some PI style/size line so I promptly hooked it up to a small hank of aztec and took a little mistletoe out of the tree.
Worked a treat and smooth as silk. Both SRT and Ddrt. Love the shackle clip in for the chest advancement!
As most you know, I have one of the earlier models I fly on regular. It only has 3 adjustments and was a nice unit. But, It did not work well on smaller than 11.7 IMO. Nor could I get my 13mm lines in it. So, it was limited more to the PI style lines. The Akimbo is way more versatile. I will try it out on my arbormaster, vortex and bandit lines. I think Dave has a hank of something else as well. Pine removals for two days should give me some more time with it. Beautiful piece of engineering. :thumbup:
I got Levi a New Tribe kids saddle with side Ds for Christmas. Was easy to find an excuse to climb with him and Lilly. Lilly also got a new bike for Christmas. So I am busy getting her free from training wheels as well. Bakc to work will open my time up for more dabbling.
Well, if more snow holds off a bit :lol:

Not yet... somebody lost my damn chip for the camera :X
On my to do list. Got snowed out of work again today. Too icy to haul anything to the job site, let alone ask guys to drive to work in. E calls only today.
Inbox is cleared Jamie

Soooooo K.
Just for fun I did a mistletoe prune SRT with the Akimbo on a well used fuzzed up hank of Vortex.
The ascent went great. It tended nicely in the tree and such. Love how that little roller on the bottom smooths advancing out wonderfully.
12.7 mm (1/2) is a tight squeeze in. I have yet to try some Arbormaster to see if the different texture and construction of the rope is different there.
The Vortex was not smooth on decent. The Akimbo, opened all the way up, grabbed with authority. I had to coax it a bit to let go, and it would abruptly. Then grab abruptly unless I added some friction for my other hand on decent. Not impossible to manage, but the 11.7 mm (Poison Ivy family) worked so much nicer. Could be the softness (hand) of the Vortex rope. Might be flattening out too much (rope construction). I would have enjoyed having one more setting, top and bottom, to open the Akimbo up just a smidgeon more to allow for this rope.
Tomorrow I will try a different rope on it on an oak dismantle. See how it plays out.
Maybe some 11 mm Bandit.

Back