This is the Akimbo

Well, I had my first climb on the Akimbo today. Very nice! It was not much of a climb because it was 25F but it was enough. Jaime has some truly ground-breaking ideas crammed into this small multisender.
The two most prominent are, the swing-open-center-cross-lock that enables rope loading and unloading without the need to remove parts and the very innovative concentric adjustable cams that enable fine tuning for different ropes. Both of these worked very well though I only took the time to set it for Tachyon 11.5mm which it worked with perfectly.
I think it is somewhat ironic that the parts I did have some trouble with were the bolts. After giving Jaime a bad time about the C-clips, it was the lock nuts that had a hard time holding a set tension. Not really a big deal and an easy fix, but like I said, ironic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
part of the problem with the fasteners at this point is the material itself. 1/4" aluminum stock from the local metal store is not .250" it is a few thousandths over. stack 4 layers thick, then fit some half inch stock in there and nothing quite lines up right. machined parts will remedy that, and red locktight on the nuts will really hold things in place. if the nuts continue to move, please dont hesitate to locktight them.

Uh... Burnham... I liked your original post better! :P

You've been at the gaffer's old brew again haven't you...:P

You lost me on this post, Jed. Sorry :)...but it's not the first time I've been lost, so I'm lost in familiar territory, anyway :D.

David has made some excellent suggestions so far. i think the spring is potentially solved, as well as some of the hardware issues. i had no idea aircraft hardware was a thing, and it turns out they make screws with unthreaded shafts! way cheaper and easier to countersink than shoulder bolts or pins. heres pics of the spring assembly. essentially, the nose of the cam sits in the exact spot as the friction pin was previous. the upper roller really didnt do much after i put that pin in anyway. the spring pushes the cam up and keeps the nose in constant contact with the rope. a possible bonus is that if the setting is too far "open" the cam gets pulled up and locks the rope in place. we will see of that is actually a plus or not. i like the idea of some sort of failsafe against that kind of user error.

ps the pin isnt bent, i was just sloppy on the drill press and didnt take the akimbo apart before drilling :|:
IMG_1781.jpg IMG_1782.jpg IMG_1783.jpg

As it is now, even without any additional tweaking, the Akimbo is the best full mechanical, SRWP tool I have had the pleasure of using and I have used them all. Jaime did a bang up job on this.

Attachments

• 20151123_115153-1-1.jpg
    20151123_115153-1-1.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 108
I am enjoying watching the development as well. Can I get on the list to check it out, after all the experienced guys of course

gofundme.com/r2bhtg37
Ok, bear with me, but i think i did it. Gofundme is a bit confusing and really, really wants me to have facebook (which i dont), but i think its live! thank you guys again for all your help!!! let me know if it shows up.

You can start an Akimbo FB page, like a business page, perhaps. It WILL help. I'm not much for FB, btw.

Link is good, and it sure does like facebook. It automatically asks to be posted on facebook, but I'm on our laptop which is signed into my wife's facebook.

faa7148a7b96a1aa2785ca4058ed08f7.jpg

Pretty cool...

Holy pickled fish batman! that is crazy! Thank you guys. now i really need to lock myself in my room and get my CAD files up to date.

Back