The Truck Thread

Man, I wish we could get something like that over here.
Sometimes being a godless commie sucks.

I can not beleive the quality of that chip bin and and lockers etc,I wonder the cost of that.

It couldnt be cheap.

No, I just put some " cut to fit" plywood sides into it.
We are mainly loggers, but a designated chip truck is high on our wish list.
Problem is, anything automotive is soooo expensive here in commieland, because of taxes.

On the other hand, if I get injured at the job, or just plain sick ( pilonidal cysts or something) I have full medical coverage and will be able to collect unemployment while I heal up.

But I have no freedom, of course.

I was joking.
As you hang out here, you'll get to know my weird commie sense of humour:lol:

Ah, crap.
I just realized that so were you!

Got me on that one.

Just saw something on the Highway Products website that caught my eye...

chip_truck_body_2.jpg

The license plate looked familiar and I went out and checked...sho nuff that's my truck!!!

Just saw something on the Highway Products website that caught my eye...

chip_truck_body_2.jpg

The license plate looked familiar and I went out and checked...sho nuff that's my truck!!!

Hows that truck working out for youy,sweet rig!!!

No more ugly yellow boom on my truck! Crappy phone pictures but you get the idea. And yes, my truck is filthy. It's a working truck, not a garage queen.

moto_0035.jpg

moto_0034.jpg

moto_0033.jpg

I agree B. I try to keep my stuff clean. Makes maintenance so much easier.

I passed a competitor yesterday that had a foot of sticks built up on his headache rack!!

Brian,

I am curious about those utility buckets... Whats the working height like? Is it over center?

What about the material handler winch, I was told they can handle at least 1000 lbs at any point in the articulation, can you give me an idea of its capacity and range?

Nick,
It's sort of like a government agency. It's big and heavy and slow but it wields a lot of power. Both booms go over center but the lower boom only goes to about 100 degrees, meaning that I can't put the bucket on the ground next to the truck. I can barely get it low enough to stretch and reach a saw out of the toolbox. The cylinders are huge so it takes more hydraulic fluid to move them, so movement isn't as quick as a forestry bucket. I've adapted myself to these shortcomings as a tradeoff for the awesome capabilities of the rig. I can pick up as much as 2000 lbs with the material handler and have exceeded that a few times. I've also had to rebuild the winch twice, the bolts holding the drum brake have snapped. This last time we drilled them out and used larger, grade 8 bolts so hopefully they won't snap again.

Working height is 60', side reach is 46' and the rig weighs 28K lbs plus my gear. I spend about $6K-$10K per year in repairs and a little more than that in fuel.

Thanks for the info Brian, is that 2000lbs standard throughout the range of motion or is it similar to a crane in that the higher capacity lifting is at a smaller radius to the turret?

What year is it?

It's an '01, Nick. My limiting factor is the upper boom lifting capacity, followed by the winch capacity. If I can't lift it with the upper boom then it's too heavy.

Back