The RIP Thread...

What an awesome life. Going into space with the radiation shielding they had probably shortened their lives. Still worth it.

Too bad about a brave man. I'm glad his lander could successfully take off from the moon. it would have been lonely up there if there was a failure.

What's too bad?

Is it so difficult to figure out? Too bad he isn't around to receive more of the accolades he deserves from people that may want to offer them, and get the satisfaction from doing so, and also too bad for us that he can't further in person share the wisdom that his experience gave, I mean having been somewhere in the range of 250,000 miles away from home. I think the man is worthy of more being in the present tense, than just the past.
Tear that up now with some philosophical perspective about death being a fitting end, if you like. Lots of people live longer.

August 20 Phyllis Diller passed .Oh how she made me laugh with some of her BS .

She was born and raised in Lima Ohio .My ex and now deceased MIL knew her well in the early days before she made living with her humor .

What a lot of people forget is that Neil really helped pave the way to space. All those test flights in the X-15 etc. The man started on the ground floor of testing and set foot on the moon. An amazing life filled with stories of others that walked the walk with him and the things they had to do to get there.

Sad about Phyllis too. Loved her when I was a kid. SHe could always make me giggle.

Actually for those who didn't know Neil Armstrong was born in Wapakoneta Ohio which is about 20 miles south of where I live .

Reading about Armstrong, I don't think he did anything for accolades or attention. The astronauts were told that the trip to the Moon could, if they survived, take years off the end of their lives from the radiation they would be exposed to. Armstrong was a man of science and understood the exchange better than any. He lived into his eighties. I can't feel badly about that. I'd die at seventy for a walk on the moon.

That and how much thought did we give Armstrong last week? How much thought did we give to Diller two weeks ago? None at all. Now that their deaths have brought the thoughts of them up from the depths of our memories, why not rejoice in their accomplishments and laugh at Diller's jokes?

You don't have to think about people in order to have them firmly embedded within your culture.

Referring to the accolades, it wasn't to the extent of Armstrong wanting to receive them, apparently he was a shy man, it was directed to the people that still want to offer them to a living presence, perhaps as an inspiration for further achievement. The pilot won't make it to the planned fiftieth year celebration of the first lunar landing. An expression of the loss of the man, might be best summed up by what his shipmate, Buzz Aldrin, has to say about the death of his friend. Armstrong also had definite opinions on the direction of the space program, and people wanted to listen to them. He was a member of a select club, and now only his picture is on the wall. Twenty seconds of fuel left in the lunar lander when he found a decent looking place to set down.....

Thomas Jefferson also had great achievements, but there is still reason to be sad that he isn't around now either. Phyllis Diller had a lively and interesting hairdo.

RIP

"@News1130radio

`Green Mile'' actor Michael Clarke Duncan dead at 54, his fiancee says. "

michael_clarke_duncan_02.jpg

That was one of my favorite movies. I tried to buy the VCR tape from the movie rental place but they said to come back in a week or two. When I went back they were all gone. All traces of the movie just dropped off the face of the earth and I've never seen it again since.

Hm, I have seen it on tv a couple times, I really liked that movie too. Realized I don't have in on file, downloading now

I like how they made him appear to be so huge, in The Green Mile.

Camera angles, n shit...

Yeah, when my grandfather died, I was still pretty young. I remember being in his house right after that and looking at a pair of shoes that he commonly wore. They were polished and neat, perfectly arranged side by side, but just seemed so silent....waiting...for something that would never come. They were of another time. He always took good care of his shoes.

I know what you mean Jay. I was young when my grandfather died as well and to this day still remember his Saturday breakfast/fishing shoes. They weren't nearly as nice as his day to day work shoes but well taken care of and next to his house slippers and his work shoes. When his cancer finally took him it was like everything I knew stopped for awhile.

Exactly, Bud. I think it would be easier to grasp death as some transition to another zone, or something, compared to the oddness of everything just stopping like that. I mean in practical terms it is definable, but the emotional part can just be so unreal. When my dad died i was still quite young too. When my mother came home from the hospital and told me, I said, "Why?"...and looking at him in his coffin, I again asked, "Why?". I know the cause of his death, a bad heart, but still some questions linger from the emotional effects.

Back