The Official Work Pictures Thread

@Husky D

That's beautiful work!

I'm Absolutely fascinated by natural hedge laying. Are there any trainings that you know of? If you can recommend some resources or contact people id really love to study the process with some skilled folks
Thanks Ruel, he'd appreciate the comments. He lays hedges over the winter months as they are laid out of bird nesting periods here and when in theory the plants are not in full flush with the sap up. He does do training courses but there are regional styles done around the UK depending on the needs of the landowner. I've post d a link to the National hedgelaying society from the UK which shows the styles but will give you some info and background if interested.

Thx for the wiki, Lxs

Very interesting, I had no clue.

One Q I had from the pic is did he do all that with no saw? From wiki it sounds like maybe no saw but from the pic I think I see a few small stumps. But maybe those were hacked off in one axe-swipe.
Cory, when he teaches it's purely using an axe and billhook (which you see in one of the pictures) but from a commercial point of view when he's laying hedges he uses a saw to cut out the big oversized material else it's too time consuming. He uses a billhook and axe for a lot of his work though as it suits well particular with newer virgin hedges as the diameter is small. When your laying the stems you put in a "pleach" or "pleaching" cut which is a diagonal cut towards the ground leaving a small tongue of wood connected to allow sap to still be supplied. The saw allows this to be done easier on bigger stems but an axe allows control of the split on lesser stems. I believe different counties in the UK had their own style of billhook as well.

Thanks for the link, fascinating stuf.

Looks like Midland Bullock style? why lay to the right? I would think you'd want dominant hand making the cuts, but it looks like it's Cut lefty

ACD55B9E-01D5-4490-8200-EBF8DB1203A1.jpeg F85044A0-4A73-4525-8A36-24D05CF1AC06.jpeg Boss goes out of town for the holidays. My first week + that I’m running the business. A guy we recently began teaching how to drive trailers swayed a little too far to the right in a construction zone. Smacked the barrier at 60mph. Only dump trailer we had at the time and ripped both axles off the frame on that side. New guy didn’t make that weak easy for me at all! Lol

oh there was lots of drama there lol. Short story: tow truck driver paid by the construction company to clear all wreckage said he would take the trailer the extra 4 miles to the bosses house. 2 miles in calls and says he needs $200 cash cause he isn't supposed to be doing that. Told him to drop it where it is, he wasn't too happy with me. Paid another company to take it to the bosses house. Used the 8ft bed of the f250 for that week. now we have a new 14k 7x14 :)

Thanks for the link, fascinating stuf.

Looks like Midland Bullock style? why lay to the right? I would think you'd want dominant hand making the cuts, but it looks like it's Cut lefty
You are correct Ruel! Well, he actually does a hybrid version of Midland and Welsh at times due to our location in the country. When he competes in comps he has to do it exact though as they mark you down for not being the exact style so different from what he does commercially.
Well spotted with the laying direction!! You will have left and right handed hedges as you lay up hill for the sap flow and the hedge isn't layed horizontal but at an angle (depends on style of course) so beginners will struggle to hit on their backhand whilst cutting.

Back when I was a lad I used to buy chesnut groves and cut and split it by hand to make split rail fences. Had a landrover to pull it out the woods and a Transit "tipper" to get it to job site. I used to really enjoy that. Always wanted to get into hedge laying, only fence that can stop a charging bull.....

View attachment 117283View attachment 117284Boss goes out of town for the holidays. My first week + that I’m running the business. A guy we recently began teaching how to drive trailers swayed a little too far to the right in a construction zone. Smacked the barrier at 60mph. Only dump trailer we had at the time and ripped both axles off the frame on that side. New guy didn’t make that weak easy for me at all! Lol
People give too little consideration for trailers when it comes to making roads, and setting barriers & cones. We could have a whole thread on non-trailer friendly road hazards.

I like to keep my mirrors such that I'm looking at the trailer tires to always keep them where they should be especially when coming up on a tight spot. Having a convex mirror as well will help see the lanes beside you, so you can keep the main mirrors on the tires.

Yeah nutball the truck has that and he had his full lane width but he crept just far enough to hit the wheel wells against the barrier. He was too new to be pulling a trailer but the other crew lead went to work elsewhere so we had no one else to drive a truck/trailer.

Yeah nutball the truck has that and he had his full lane width but he crept just far enough to hit the wheel wells against the barrier. He was too new to be pulling a trailer but the other crew lead went to work elsewhere so we had no one else to drive a truck/trailer.
You need to make two trips if you don't have two competant drivers.

I was just relating to a Custy about @BeerGeek 's company mishap, Pctree's company's mishap, and Kathy Holzer's driver's mishap.

Speed limits are limits, not recommendations or requirements.

I rarely miss having regular employees.

Yeah, the guy was doing decent and I would normally follow behind him but we were taking a long drive to a new property so he was following me and it didn't work out well for him. Luckily we know a top notch welder so we will eventually get it to him to get fixed. Or the boss gives up on it and I get it for scrap price and fix it myself :)

The hitch on the trailer is fine but it’s an old school plunger type braking system. If I get the trailer I’ll take the whole system off and do my own electric brake conversion. Just gotta get a welder to fix two of the mounts for the springs on the passenger side

By smacked the barrier, so you mean he drove the fender and tires/ wheels/ axles into the end of the barrier at 60mph, not the side of the barrier?

No offense but I am seeing a shit ton of red flags. Take my advise there is no fixing that hitch on your truck/suv. The trailer may be fixable but I can’t say either way without being there. Cracks and twists aren’t always apparent until they let go later in life. I have a feeling the frame is A36 or plain Jane mild steel and can be welded on a dozen times but if it isn’t just call the manufacturer and ask a few simple questions. Here in Wisco welding on a frame of a trailer is a big no no says Mr. DOT.
What happened to the chains and breakaway?

Yeah Sean he caught the very beginning of the barrier where they set up those metal collapsible energy absorbers. The hitch on the truck just needs to be replaced (hopefully). That was an older work truck 05 f250 so easy enough to get another hitch. I’m not sure about what our local dot says about welding on frames of trailers. The chains were still connected. When the trailer hit and the axle mounts broke on just the one side it made the wheels on the drivers side face inward so they coasted all of 400ft til there was a shoulder to pull of on to.

Back