The Official Work Pictures Thread

Those pictures make me so sad that all the elms are gone in Denmark.
The old ones sure were lovely trees.

That tree was lucky that you were called and not some hack.

Nice work there.

Chilly start to the day today. -18c when I left and it had warmed to -13c by the time I got to the job.

Deadwooding and slight thin and lift on a large mature Elm tree in the centre of Oslo. Was a pleasure to work on and a lovely climb. Apart from the odd dusting of snow still on some of the limbs.

Two climbers and one groundsman. Started about 9.15 and down for 12.

b52cd82092813f9b48347cc7cc99c628.jpg

7da3e9bea8874902bf18adeb7cc3d552.jpg

9077d712cf88086c25e3f14884e1e84e.jpg

5ff518e353e561ee808f9e5fd522d583.jpg

28c7d20654cdc41c10e2127a4c1d98cc.jpg

Rich

Thanks.

Once you got going Butch, it was lovely up there. Bloody cold though setting lines with the throwline.

Once my hands warmed up it was easy going.

Climbing in the cold, I was always freezing and heating up/sweating at the same time. Fug that shit!

Cheers Pete.

I was well and truly rugged up though. Merino wool vest, Merino wool long sleeve, t-shirt, thick fleece and then the cut n climb. Buff and lid!

At one point I did get a bit hot but thought of taking my chest ascender off and removing a jacket didn't really go down too well, so I soldiered on like a trooper ;)

Im down with all the others, great job and pics. Agreed, working in the cold when you have your clothing dialed is, um, cool ;)

I tend to add layers of my usual clothes in cold weather but when it is really cold I use 1 layer of UnderArmor cold gear next to skin on torso. It is long sleeved and stretchy and tight fitting and it really makes a big difference. Sometimes just adding layers doesn't do enough and I'll have 10 lbs of clothes on. With the cold gear I add layers on top of it and I stay warm, without having like 10 layers on. Maybe 9 ;)

Sissy, shmissy!

Being totally comfortable in your environment! 8)

Oh Gary...not the dreaded socks and sandals!! I thought only Brits on holidays did that! Hopefully at least your legs have a bit of a tan by the time sandals come out...and you NEVER wear black socks with sandals!!!

As for my elm, the Cobra I put in, I put it in static, no rubber thingy (only the second one I've ever done). The branches are reduced as far as I will go, and over time will keep them fairly short, not allow them to grow as long and heavy any more.
The branch is split pretty badly, without the Cobra it would have eventually peeled off completely. I hadn't thought about bolting it, I don't think it would draw back together...and for now the Cobra is holding it in place. But I'll look at it again with that in mind, thanks.
Long term I want the branch to tell me how to proceed from here. If it stabilizes and form callus wood I will be happy, if it starts to die back more, I will revisit the situation for further pruning. Right now I want the branch to carry out its own compartmentalization...in time that will indicate where, if necessary it needs any more cutting. Also in the meantime, the surrounding branches will be observed and pruned over time to help fill the gap, so if that branch has to go eventually, there will be foliage to fill the gap.

Mick, the chipper is working out fine! I am very happy we bought it. Just yesterday I reduced probably three loads of branches and three trips to the tip and double handling...to one big load of chips...that I sold for $40.
We've ironed out some minor glitches from previous owners' neglect...and it is running well. Did I say I was happy with it? Love it...
I have to say, it makes the blokes sit up and take notice when I wheel around with it behind the ute...chick's got machinery!!

Fiona, a bit of 1/4" threaded rod, nuts and washers are cheap to have on hand. A 12" x 1/4" bit is easy enough to come by. Even if you can't draw it together much, it will help keep it from peeling apart as it flexes.
Some aluminum wire to attach a "don't cut/ chip me" marker extended from the bolt/ nut/washer can help you and other tree workers to find it later. It could be something hard to see from the ground, positioned above the branch.

Back