The New Offical Mutts of the House thread

• Thread starter Werks 4 da Man
  • Start date
  • Replies 4K
  • Views 291K
We weren't far from home so I didn't starve. I've only myself to blame.
She was over the moon with the windfall, I couldn't be mad at her. There are rules at work. Unguarded food is fair game.
Them's the rools!

Peter, I called my friend, and of course the book is in Swedish!
Best way in my experience is to beforehand decide what you want the dog to be able to do, then concentrate solely on that, instead of wasting time on a bunch of unnecessary exercises..

My dogs can only do maybe 6 things but they can do them 110% every time.

Thanks, my Swedish is a little patchy, in fact I only know a selection of zoo animals.

My wife's Malamute is super smart, she can do everything she's trained to do, but only when it suits her. Very short attention span.

I was going to brag about how well trained my fellas are but while I was out doing some sanding today and left them in the house because I felt sorry for their furry asses they destroyed a bag of recycling in my mud room. :|:

Took the doggies to the beach today.
Just before sunset on the 24th one can have the beach to oneself, since the rest of the (non muslim) population are busy frying up the fatted hog for Christmas eve.

With two dogs and a Swiss wife, it is an easy choice. They all love a trip to the ocean.

Sam is looking good for a 10 year old, big dog, that has been used hard, I think?

P1030869.JPG P1030875.JPG P1030877.JPG P1030880.JPG

:thumbup:
You would dig Sampson right now Stig... Out protecting his goats in his first snow storm. Hard to tell his is a white dog at the moment due to the clay mud :lol:
Boy is getting big. Looks like he is chasing snow flakes around out there. :lol:

Looks like the dogs are having a good time Stig.

Otis, on the other hand, is a bit tuckered out from learning things...:/:

Attachments

• DSCF0944.jpg
    DSCF0944.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 40
Not quite a year old yet.... 10 months maybe?
His first snow, and he is doing great with his first kidding!

Attachments

• tmp_5900-20151224_160935-788216166.jpg
    tmp_5900-20151224_160935-788216166.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 32
6HQ92l0.gif

:lol: been doing that some lately...

What have you been teaching him Dave?

Just the basics at this point Jim. go to his "spot", sit, come to his name, lay down, walk, stop, No, when and where to relieve himself, no bite/chew except for designated toys, go and lay down when I am eating, and to sit still for attentions while distracting noises & such are going on (squeaky or moving chairs, knocks on table, alarms going off, etc.).
I don't teach a dog to "shake" and instead discourage the raising of front paws to people. Two different dogs I had in the past were trained to shake and scratched children by going up and trying to be friendly.
It's great to see the progress from investing a bit of time in him. he's coming along quicker than I expected so far...definitely not getting them all every time, but improving a lot each day. At this stage, just using encouragement and good attentions for rewards goes a long way to produce the wanted response in most things.

No beer here...I have a couple in june/july that's about it any more...:)

Good to hear that you and Otis are working out as a pair.
Honestly, seeing how satisfied he looks with life has made me think seriously about my next dog being a rescue dog.
I'm not getting any younger, and when Sam kicks the bucket in a year or so, I need a companion for Thais.
It would be nice to start with one about the same age as him, so they hopefully die at more or less the same time.
I've always been a bit leery about rescue dogs, as they may havebeen mistreated to the point of being untrainable, but then most dogs actually like to be trained and my experience is that a well trained dog is welcome most anywhere.
On the beach yesterday we met two other couples, one with a dog.
Since I break the leash rule and let mine run free, I always make them lay down and "stay" a bit out of the way when we meet people.
Then I just walk on, and when the other people are past the dogs, I'll whistle them free.
Yesterday that earned me two compliments for " Wow, super well trained dogs" instead of two couples complaining about dogs running loose on the beach.
It really takes so little to make that difference.

Good story. Nice that they made a positive impression.

The largest amount of rescue dogs were some type of an inconvenience for the owners. I consider ignorance or neglect a form of mistreatment (as you probably do to) but it doesn't necessarily make them untrainable. They do tend to acquire some issues just from being locked up though and need a little extra work on socialization, and if kept confined too long can get a mental condition called "kennel crazy" or "kennelitis".

When I went to the shelters, I talked to the people who worked in them and told them what I was looking for in a dog, I went through each place and picked out different ones to spend time with, but Otis was one that was suggested by a staff member that I probably wouldn't have picked out. I was there to look at 2 other animals. One of those other two was a keeper too, and I could have gotten her, but she had a long list of others wanting to adopt her. Otis was a favorite among the staff but had no one who wanted him. Talking to the staff at the shelters can give you some insights into the dogs that you might not get from a first meeting during the hectic part of the day at the shelter.

We've had lots of rescue dogs, and only two from a pup.

My last dog, the black lab, was a rescue. Pretty well trained but hopelessly fat and unfit. A few weeks of daily walks and cutting the chocolate out of his diet sorted that out.

Also had a police Alsatian who failed his basic training, another fine dog but could be a little aggressive in the wrong situation. My in laws have a drop out sniffer dog, another black lab,who is a fine beast.

The boys are looking fine, both the old and the young, Stig.

Dave, yours is seeming to find life in your care a good thing, wonderful job there.

Back