The MS150 Has Arrived

Good to see they finally got the 1/4" ones too.

Those 2 in 1 file guides are made by Pferd for stihl.

http://www.pferdusa.com/products/201b/201b01/index.html

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/accessories/filing-tools/2in1file/

cs_x.jpg

I have a pferd for 3/8 chain....but it doesn't look like there is a pferd version of the 1/4"' .043.

I have the one for .325. It's great. I can file by hand but this makes it real easy, nice how it gets the rakers in one go too.:thumbup:

I have a pferd for 3/8 chain....but it doesn't look like there is a pferd version of the 1/4"' .043.

Not listed yet I figure. I cant even find the one listed for stihl even on their site. Even though I seen it for sale after you mentioned it.

So you recommend? I can file ok free hand but if this makes it easier and with a better result then I might look into, I've seen them around for a while

IMO it is for folks that dont know what a raker is. I recommended them to firewood cutters that are clueless.

I get chains in the raker has never been touched at the end of a cutter life.

Don't you think it's easier to do it all in one motion though? It took me a minute to get over my pride, not bad at hand filing. This is just so easy to do in the field. Still use the traditional method at home as I feel you can get a better chain that way.

I use file guides to keep the file elevated so it doesn't start digging too low on the tooth. That's my #1 reason for a guide. Guys are full of BS if they claim they can file these 1/4" .043 chains with a file only....and still keep the file elevated once you're past about half the tooth life... I've been hand filing saws for over 20 years and I'm very good at it. I'm not to macho to say a file guide on these chains IS a necessity if you want best cutting performance,and it leaves you with a sharper chain. Again...a person is either full of BS(which most humans are.. 97.5% of them to be exact), or one is happy with a less than perfectly sharp chain if they claim they can do all the sharpening on these little chains with just a round file.

I normally use a flat file for the rakers, is one supposed to use a round one?

I can't see how to do that properly and efficiently. The round files are made for concave edges, not convex, overall with a such small radius. It would be a pure misery to file a bunch of rakers free hand with a round file. Doable with a steady guide though, but it will end with a very curious shape for a raker.

Hey All,

After reading this whole thread for a couple of days now lol, I think I am going to buy a 150.

How is everyone still liking them? I bought the new husky I think its a 435 its such junk.

Im a husky guy but reading all the reviews of this gets me excited.

What size bar is the best in your opinions?

Thanks,

Kyle

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey All,

After reading this whole thread for a couple of days now lol, I think I am going to buy a 150.

How is everyone still liking them? I bought the new husky I think its a 435 its such junk.

Im a husky guy but reading all the reviews of this gets me excited.

What size bar is the best in your opinions?

Thanks,

Kyle

I'd use a 12" bar, and stick with the micro chain. It's a perfect match to the saw's power.

Not many dealers are stocking that little chain. We had trouble getting it when needed too. And.....it's fairly fragile in hard wood.

The battery saw really interests me. How long will a full battery last?

Depends, as they say.
I was doing a big hedge topping job loads of cuts all day, two batteries took me to about two o'clock, then switched to the 201,
Three would get you through most days as long as you switch to a petrol saw on a takedown when the wood gets bigger.

That's pretty amazing Mick.

I use Milwaukee Fuel tools here in the shop, at times I can go several days between charges. I figured the saws these days would be top notch in the battery dept too.

I'm a big fan.

If I have a criticism it's than the techlite bar and chain are fragile, pinching the chain will stretch it.

That's poor cutting on my part though.

Back