The MS150 Has Arrived

I got my 150 last week. I wasn't sure what to think other than it was really light and reading good reviews here. It is way better than the 200 for general pruning, it is more agile and easier to make small cuts previously saved for a handsaw. A climber could almost leave their silky on the ground..........

...almost.

Bar and chain make up some difference, too. 12" is way easier on the wrist than a 16" for one- handed sideways cuts and arms length back chaining.

My 192t gets a lot done, and is preferred to my 200t unless I really need the power. I look forward to a 150t. Probably cutting maybe 20-25% less kerf, means less per goes further.

I'm a bit stronger than Fi, and I still prefer lighter. My shoulders do, for sure.

When I'm about to do something the hard way, like cut and chuck something I can, but shouldn't, I think of Butch saying, "I remember having shoulders".

Sorta like a nodded saw will cut faster, but what about your ears.

Not the years, the miles. Like 5 strokes with a silky, rather than pulling up, starting, cutting, and rehanging a 10 pound saw.

For people much better with one hand, a smaller lighter saw can be best in the non-dominant hand.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/in-tree-saws/

2.46 pounds, powerhead weight. So I was off by about half a pound, but you are off by nearer 1 and a half pounds :P...just sayin'.

Yeah, but how many people use a saw without a bar and chain? :P I hope you get a chance to try out a 150 someday, Burnham because it is a great little saw, especial when tuned up by Randy. Even so I doubt it will rank high on your must have list due to its designed target application.

Burnham, it is two different saws, for two different applications.
Apples and oranges, really.

I'd never use the 150 for major work, but on pruning and especially repollardings it has the 200 beat by a good lenght.

We recently repollarded a bunch of old linden.
I used the 150 and martin used the 200. I did 5 trees everytime he did 3.
I'm a faster climber than him, but in a pollarded linden there is really no climbing.
The "carving bar" is what makes the big difference, both in pruning and repollarding.
Being able to stick that little nose into tight places and making precise cuts is just priceless.

Thanks for taking the time to mention this, Stig. It is the first time I've ever heard anyone discuss this qualitative difference between the ultra-small chainsaw and its larger siblings. You folks really have me wanting one.

Tim

Burnham, it is two different saws, for two different applications.
Apples and oranges, really.

I'd never use the 150 for major work, but on pruning and especially repollardings it has the 200 beat by a good lenght.

We recently repollarded a bunch of old linden.
I used the 150 and martin used the 200. I did 5 trees everytime he did 3.
I'm a faster climber than him, but in a pollarded linden there is really no climbing.
The "carving bar" is what makes the big difference, both in pruning and repollarding.
Being able to stick that little nose into tight places and making precise cuts is just priceless.

Agree.
On a different note, great for fruit orchard. I look forwards to trying the MS150 some day.

Yeah, but how many people use a saw without a bar and chain? :P I hope you get a chance to try out a 150 someday, Burnham because it is a great little saw, especial when tuned up by Randy. Even so I doubt it will rank high on your must have list due to its designed target application.

Best as I recall, both saws would have a bar and chain, so that part is a virtual wash, no? :P:P

And you're right, I don't need one for the stuff I do these days...though in actuality, a 150 would probably do me fine, if I was without a top handle at all.

I haven't weighed mine so I don't know by how much, but the skinny little 12" bar and chain for the 150 is noticeably lighter than a normal 16" bar and chain.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/in-tree-saws/

2.46 pounds, powerhead weight. So I was off by about half a pound, but you are off by nearer 1 and a half pounds :P...just sayin'.

Ha! thats right for power head weight but when you gas and oil em up the 200T holds more of both and 16" bar and chain add a bunch more weight, so all said and done its close to 4lbs...anyways that what my side tells me :lol:

thats my story and Im sticking to it ;)

I haven't done the actual weight comparisons, but the 150 is noticeably lighter, combine that with overall smaller size, more 'rounded' body and it is sooooo much easier to move around the tree with it...and yes I wear suspenders :)

I remember when Dave first got his 150 and I was watching him deadwood a big pine...I was thinking, "why would I need a smaller saw than a 200t, but you know how your forearms and wrists start hurting after a while when you are dead wooding like he is"? I bought one, and love it! Quiet, light, and maneuverable, and I love how much better I can make nice pruning cuts with it. Only thing I did to mine was open the muffler up, but it works great for trim jobs, and pruning. I am sure that my pain levels will be less when I am an older climber because of this sweet little saw...kind of like rope walking...I feel very fortunate to be a climber of this era, and to be learning these wise tips from the masters :) BTW, I thought I was the only climber that wore suspenders?

Hey, Burnham.
Even the loggers are loving this saw, doesn't that tell you something?;)

Exactly what happened to me when I posted that I wore suspenders on the old Aussie Tree World site
Someone posts a pic of garters and everyone cracks up:D

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eqVQgP0eDvE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Suspenders here!

Check this out Burnham...

Attachments

• DSC00405.jpg
    DSC00405.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 59
Back