The History Channel; Ax Men

I didn't get a chance to watch Sunday's prime time show. I much prefer to catch the reruns on On Demand that way I can get through the show without having to watch the commercials.

I got a question.

Are some of these outfits in some sort of union by chance ??? I am sure the Stump Branch outfit isn't. How about the others like Browning, Gustafson, and Phil.

I hope the History Channel isn't paying these guys to be on TV. I don't think they are but I bet they are getting paid for radio and TV guest spots. What a waste.

My daughter watched an episode with me for awhile. She was wondering why those guys weren't at least wearing safety glasses. :O

I dunno I could only see it for sale on there as a DVD set?

And I sure as hell ain't buying it! Lol espescially from your guys's review I should buy a yarder and make my own show. Except I'd need a cooler name like that Nosak guy.

My daughter watched an episode with me for awhile. She was wondering why those guys weren't at least wearing safety glasses. :O

Helmets...that's about it. The one dude wears Bugz. I think the view of PPE varies greatly between arbos and loggers. Climbers pride themselves on their safety and PPE. Loggers tend to either not give it a second thought, or rebel against it altogether. I know a guy who won't wear hearing protection because it's "unsafe."

I hope the History Channel isn't paying these guys to be on TV. I don't think they are but I bet they are getting paid for radio and TV guest spots. What a waste.

I'll bet they get comped gear from Husky and Oregon.

I am sure he can replace it. He is the kingpin of the Browning empire.

I finally watched last weeks episode in it's entirity. Kept falling asleep after about 15 to 20 minutes into watching it.

I got a kick out of that saw operator with the shot saw that works for Stump Branch. Looks like he got his bar bent bucking those logs on the landing. He got the bar straightened and then started pounding his chain into it with a scrench. Then the darn thing wouldn't turn the chain so now his saw is shot:lol: Now I don't feel so bad when I get a saw pinched after watching some of these guys. Looks like the pro's make mistakes every now and then also.

Husky's and J-Reds seem to be the prefered saw with most of those guys.

From what I have gathered from the show I think I would starve to death being a logger. Seems the average price for a load of logs is about a $1000 bucks. That just don't seem like it is enough after seeing what goes into making a load with the first step being the cutting of the trees by the fallers.
Then comes the sky line and crew to get those trees up to the landing. Then you have the accessory equipment like those loaders and the dozer. Then comes the semi truck to haul the logs to the mill. With all the labor and running that much equipment and the maintenance that goes into those machines looks like you would be in the operating in the red. I don't know how much time it takes to make a truckload of logs to go to the mill but some of those small trees they have been pulling out sure don't look like they would make a truckload very fast.

I noticed that as well. When he was talking about tell ole dude to get his hand out of the pulley, the tore up hand was his left. When he was hammering the wedge in, it was his right.

Can someone elaborate the use/function/purpose of the stroke delimber/grapple compared to a knuckle boom fitted with a delimber and saw?

is it me or does j m browning have the claw on both hands at times

He made the comment his hand/arm was hurting him. So I wonder if he threw it on his other arm to hammer the wedge, since he obviously does not carry a wedge driving device :lol:

I noticed that as well. When he was talking about tell ole dude to get his hand out of the pulley, the tore up hand was his left. When he was hammering the wedge in, it was his right.

Can someone elaborate the use/function/purpose of the stroke delimber/grapple compared to a knuckle boom fitted with a delimber and saw?

Having a dangle processing head allows more mobility, and you make your deck. The stroke delimbers need a deck already made to get the most production. Also I have seen guys harvest with a danglehead rig, kind of wild but it works on small diameter stuff.

And the true versatility is you can take the danglehead off, and put a log grapple on, or a bucket, stumpgrinder head, etc.

I get the dangle head bit (has the tires that run the log delimbing and cutting to length?) but not the however long arm that slides in and out as opposed to a knuckle boom setup.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anyone watch this "best of" episode? It'a about the only one that you really need to see.

Back