The History Channel; Ax Men

just need to get a connection from VCR to computer, once its on the hard drive burning a dvd is easy!
I've never done it but my DVR has the ability to burn DVD to DVD or tape to DVD or store from a tv broadcast and to DVD .

It's just about like every electronic gizmo I have in that I seldom use them to their full capability . As it is ,it's just a fancy VCR recorder in it's general usage .

Actually we have two.One came with the digital tv/high speed internet and the other one I bought .

Why not? It's not a bad show. I know alot of it is dramatized, but it's cool watching the trees come down and watching the saws work. Makes me glad I'm only a visitor to the logging industry, and that I don't rely on it for a paycheck.

I grew up around it, and did it for a short spell in my teens... I still know families that are struggling with keeping jobs and stayin' in business... I just don't wanna see a cool ass indusrty get looked at like "American Chopper".

I don't wanna see a bunch of drama on the landing and such.

Firggin' A it's a tough ass job... and there is some drama even in the real world of loggin'... But i don't like it all hyped up on TV...

I dunno, It just hasn't appealed to me...

Gary

I was the drama :evil:.

Eleven years in the bush, still think about going back sometimes. While I was in Whistler I met up with my faller buddy who works in Pemberton, he had some pics of beautiful timber they've been in. Of course it ain't all like that but when the doug fir hit the 4' or better the camera comes out he said. My buddy lives a good life and is a top performer/lead hand on their falling crew and he's starting to get a little worried about the slow up in the bush up here.

Times are about to get real tough here mills are closed and log yards are full, I've talked with a few guys who've said they've got landings just crammed with wood in the bush but the price is down to far to sell it right now and no one really wants it. (besides it being break-up right now)

:(

I sure hope things pick up around here, even the main logging outfits in these parts are barely keeping their core guys going and the smaller outfits are mostly history.

I grew up around it, and did it for a short spell in my teens... I still know families that are struggling with keeping jobs and stayin' in business... I just don't wanna see a cool ass indusrty get looked at like "American Chopper".

I don't wanna see a bunch of drama on the landing and such.

Firggin' A it's a tough ass job... and there is some drama even in the real world of loggin'... But i don't like it all hyped up on TV...

I dunno, It just hasn't appealed to me...

Gary

Yeah that's what I figured. It's not anywhere near as corny as American Chopper. I can't even watch that show. Most of the drama is the same kind of drama drummed up in Deadliest Catch or Ice Road Truckers. It's the narrator making it sound like each turn may be the crew's last because the yarder is getting ready to explode and every cloud to come through is the second coming of hurricane Katrina. By the way the narrator talks, it's a wonder these guys make it to lunch without being smashed by a tree, getting run over by a shovel or dying from a splinter in their pinky..

Loggers survive because of this one reason:

You can't drink at work so you need to survive the day in order to get home and have a few cold ones.

:lol:

Never underestimate the willpower of beer.

Times are about to get real tough here mills are closed and log yards are full, I've talked with a few guys who've said they've got landings just crammed with wood in the bush but the price is down to far to sell it right now and no one really wants it. (besides it being break-up right now)

:(

I sure hope things pick up around here, even the main logging outfits in these parts are barely keeping their core guys going and the smaller outfits are mostly history.

It's the same down here Justin... I got bro's that are not real happy about the slowdowns. There log yards here full to capacity with export shit... But the sawmills are backed way up, and some are threatening to close...

If I wouldn't have joined the Navy... I would have continued in the bush, and worked my way up as a faller. I was a landing rat/hook chaser in my teens. It was a hard earned living... but I was makin' good money compared to the guys that were workin' on farms and as bus-boys...

So I am glad i got out of it when i did. I am very fortunate to be in the profession I am right now... :)

Gary

Handfaller is a tough gig to get into up here I beat on that door for many years, paid my dues, proved myself and then was passed over cause there was lots of unemployed experienced fallers around and little to no one around who could climb, rig, hook, run yarder, skidder, loader, buck whatever needed to be done. I screwed myself by becoming to valuable where I was at.

Oh vell I can't really complain about how things have worked out for myself I suppose.:D

I'll get you the info we have on our device when I get home. Basically the vcr hooks up to it and it hooks up to the computer. We use ours to convert VHS tapes into a digital (longer lasting) media.

What is ironic about this situation is that during slow downs in home building that is the only time people on my end can buy decent lumber .

After a major catastrophic event such as a hurricane the price leaps up and the qualty goes plume to hell .Wet wood ,curved like a sled runner with bark on all four sides.At no extra cost either .:what:

Oh of course everybody gets a piece of that pie .From the crew dragging out the timber clear to the yard that sells it . I imagine though that the logging crew is the one that takes the screwen if the demand goes down .

I like the show, its a nice inside look into something I hear a bunch about hangin on forums like this, but see NONE of in my area.

I hate how they call it "Green GOLD" a total spin off the Crab shows, if its so much gold... why are they firing half their crews? Ha.

Economics aside, there's a lot of greed in the woods business. Not a plug here, but if any of you have read "Trouble in Paradise" in High Climbers, it is a very accurate portrayal of how everybody is out to get a bigger piece of the pie, by screwing someone else.

And in spite of everyone knowing it, it goes on more and more. Kind of like the IRS.

Working in the woods was all fine back in the day when the wages you earned could buy a home and paid the bills, and raise a family. Today it's just an existence and love for the out doors. Look how many people that post in this forum have left the woods to make a better living. Not that they don't think about both the hardship and love of the work they passed on.

Woods work has to be the finest way to spend a life in this world today, yesterday and in the future. Just too bad it doesn't pay enough to make it. I remember when it use to.

And that really breaks my heart. Yeah, I know I should get a life and move on. At 60 I think I'll become a economic anal-ist. Now that's where the money is at.

talked to a local log trucker thats camping out in astoria, oregon cause theres not much work here. he says chats on the radio with trucks hauling off some of those tv show sides. says dont beleive all you see:D hes busy up there hauling logs for the paper mill, no money in lumber right now

Is no one watching any more?

They took down a sweet 64" dbh spruce tonight. They got the jack out....but the jack didn't jack, so they had to wedge it over. Guy said he hadn't had to use it in 20 years.

I watched it.

I figured they'd have a spare window for the roof of the buncher. I can't (or don't) believe lexan costs that much, although it's been a while since I ordered any.

They sure do domino alot of trees, at least for the cameras :)

Yeah that lawn dart breaking thru the bullet proof glass (lexan carl?)on the roof of the feller buncher was hairy. The reason nobody makes movies about nasty dead removals is noone wants to be the camerman!

Damn! I forgot to watch!
Not to worry because they show the previous weeks episode before the current weeks airs .

I caught the stolen rope deal at 9 followed by the harvester spearing at 10 last night . Geeze that hydraulic saws nips 30 inchs of fir in three seconds . I can't do that well with the Mini Mac :roll:

Back