TEREX 730 CHIPPER

Idling isn't helping seating the rings.

Ive seen numerous new bikes at the track, burning oil. I asked them how do they break it in. "We just let it idle" From there on all my new stuff i run it hard, not an idiot, but run it through the rpm range, without keeping it as a specific range for a long period. Do what you want though.

Also, i don't tend to let anything idle anyways. Diesel fuel washes down the cylinders, plus more likely to get fuel in the oil. Im no mechanic, but my shit runs mint.

When we got our new bandit back in October we did just like Brendon said. Run it hard throughout the RPM range. Have had no issues and runs awesome. Goodluck with your new chipper!

Brian it should come with a manual, look at "motor break in" hopfully it will give you insight on correct break in procedure for the first few tanks....or just run it like you stole it :lol:

Hokay, Nick, in the first vid- I fully understand "gin poling" a tree, tip tie and rope from a high adjacent crotch/pulley, and winch in the butt. But, what role was the winch doing with regard to the friction device that was lowering the pieces??

Thanks.

The winch is pulling on the rigging line. In this case it is pulling the tops/logs over, into the rigging and catching it. Then the friction device allows you to smoothly lower the load. In our example, winchin aint easy, we guestimate the amount of pull (winch in/cable up) necessary and place the friction device roughly that far from the winch tower. When we pulled the piece into the rigging we clipped the lowering device off to a strap on the chipper itself and paid out the winch untill the load transferred. The reasoning was, we then used the winch cable to pull the piece into the chipper. It worked out for us and we chipped a bunch of materil without it ever touching the ground really.

The same technique is shown throughout the video.

A lot of times we used the winch as a crane of sorts, when we likely shouldnt have been. We often discussed the dangers of it, but time and time again fell into the 'this sure is easier' mentality. My friend Duane had his hand destroyed by that very winch just a few months after I left Davey. The safety man Duane, they slipped the line behind the tail light, some brush caught it and the carabiner swung so hard it near broke his hand in half.

Damn. Winch that ship up and out.

With our Bandit winch at SPs, because safety, I mean Sena comm units were too expensive (to the bean counter with the calculators), we always used a hands-off-controls whenever someone was on the hook. A few seconds too early of a pull on the hyraulic lever (hot, cold, long, tired, you pick a reason) could easily crush someone's fingers/ hands. A nod and hands-up gesture made that simple enough, with nod to acknowledge. I think while its a wonderful tool, the winch safety could more easily become complacent than the idea of getting eaten by steel wheel and blades.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2jHP-6f7d5E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, that is sweet, have fun with it.

Nick, can Duane work now or is his hand messed up long term?

Thanks guys, I couldn't be happier. It's so beautiful\\:D/

The winch is the icing on the cake - - - MONEY MAKER!

Mega congrats, Brian!

I'm not sure the winch on my old 97 260XP is as powerful as Bonner's...but it get the job done, many different kinds of 'em!

Thanks guys, vid fixed MB... 1st day on the job...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aOiow-sRwFg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:
Back