Telescoping Pole Saw

Have it. I'm not real good at that stuff. I can prune well, but fine trimming for shape is not my strong suit. I get asked to do it a lot. I often turn away the shaping work. It's like no matter what I do, its not what they had in mind. Other guys in town have it down to a science.

Silky Longboy, with hook fox, for about 4 years now. Use it all the time for knocking little dead stuff off.

I have the ARS EXP 5.5/UV-47, which is their biggest pole saw. It's nice. It telescopes out to over 18ft.
also bought a special ARS adapter for my Corona Bull pruner head pruner.
http://www.ars-edge.co.jp/world/02products/product_03polesaw.html

It's heavy, but you get used to it. It has been used up in the canopy. Be careful not to cut yourself
on that bark-cutter blade.

They recently took some of my suggestions and re-engineered the product. So, if you buy one now,
you'll most likely be getting the new design.

I glued in the plastic zip rail and drilled another set-pin hole in the rear of the handle. Mine is rock solid.

Blades are awesome sharp, but they're about $150.00 apiece... They last a long time though.

We have the Silky Longboy and Zubat at work and I like them both. They are light and sharp but kind of fragile. Not sure why, but I don't really like the fiberglass ones. They seem heavier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I use the polesaw for knocking out deadwood more than cutting it. We seem to work for very particular customers. I am not a lazy climber by any means and with my years of rock climbing I can get out to the tippy tips and the very tops no problem, I love limb walking and all, but I really cant imagine doing a nice job on the large shade trees we have here without a polesaw (at least in a short enough time to make $$). THe pin oaks and locusts will have SO much dead in them climbing to the tips and then perching with the polesaw just makes so much more sense than chasing all the dead wood manually.

We usually deadwood down to 1" or smaller and charge a lot of money to do so, regularly getting over $1000 for pruning a single tree.

I have a stihl one like that but it must be heavier, it is just so cumbersome I would never carry it in a tree. It's just too damn heavy and is mostly for cutting dia of over 2" but a very strong saw in general. My friend keeps it at his place and uses it often in his trees from the ground. He happens to be my mechanic so fair exchange is no robbery. Bartering works well over here for service folks. Exchange of skills as opposed to money. Sweet IMHO.

Depending on the tree and how much little stuff you want to pluck off, it seems much easier to me to sit in one spot and clean up what can be reached with a pole saw rather than climb out to the tips. Would it really be easier to climb out to the ends of this Japanese maple?

IMG_0561.jpg

That is a nice looking saw. ;)

It wasn't cheap, but if you don't beat it up, it'll last and do a nice job. I've cut
9 or 10" oak limbs standing on the ground with it.

Stihl has one that's a little smaller version (I think it's one size smaller). And it's just an ARS
rebranded saw with black handles instead of the ARS red handles. If you want the big one, you
have to buy the ARS branded one. Stihl has ARS make a lot (if not all) of thier hand saws, pruners, and pole
saws.

You can get any parts for these through http://growtech.com/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My hats off to all of the guys that dont use polesaws. The truth is though, I would be exhausted at the end of of most pruning days without one. My only complaint about climbing with one is that 6' is kindof enough but 12' was AWESOME, I could never climb with 2 poles or a 12 footer so the telescoping was very appealing.

All the guys on the crew liked it as well. Until it broke.

Luke @ Treestuff was wonderful though after receiving my note, and I just placed a big order yesterday including two 6' standard poles to replace it.

I have the long ARS. Fifteen bucks at the local flea market. Couldn't get my money out fast enough. I added a second set of holes for the detent buttons so that I can extend the main portion partially and not be sawing while only secured by the plastic adjustment latch.

Just ordered the 21' Silky. Three round poles together gets to be a long arcing PITA as I did off the ground the other day for a uprooted tree with no access for the bucket or other trees to climb off, which was hanging over the house and fence. We have definitely been known to put together 3 8' sections to work from the top of the bucket, almost straight up, and still not get to the bottom of the live canopy, getting what we can reach. Hoping the oval poles will help it work better and stiffer.

Better yet, our Wraptor order is going to be/ is submitted!!!!!!!

I have the 21' silky. Don't drop it on anything the aluminum dimples easily. The only other con is that it's heavy.

It's great for picking hangers and setting your line from the ground if the tree has a nice scaffold structure. Overall I'm happy I have it but if it were my only pole saw I'd be looking for something smaller and lighter. I love the longboy in the tree.

No dropping...gotcha.

wonder how heavy compared to a ht101, fully extended, overhead or three sections of round fiberglass with a saw blade. I am hoping for rigidity, three section of round poles blows, 1.5-2 is workable.

Do old/ ancient round fiberglass poles flex more than new ones?

Back