first spurs/climbers?

I use those big Bucks pads on Klein's w Tree gaffs. You can probably start on used pole as they are cheap / abundant. Invest in good ones later.

...though I am quite used to the offset of the bird toes , they are only better on thick bark bigger stems. Climb Safely as Ger would say.

Those are bulky, heavy and hot.

They are very sweaty in hot weather, but it's not all year long. The main reason I purchased them is because they were on sale and available in a local store. Bulky? Definitely yes, but something I didn't expect is that they are this close to heaven on my varicose veins when working.

Kleins with the offset tree gaffs and Caddy Pads. Basically anything and Caddy Pads. 8)

(I know you don't like'um Butch, but they've been magic for me.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all the advice and feedback, folks!

I just managed to win an auction for some used steel Buckinghams (pole gaff) with the Big Buck velcro pads:
http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=70&item=1515
A little spendier than I wanted, but with folks saying you can't put a price on comfort and the outstanding user reviews on TS, they may be worth it...we'll see!

I don't much care for the Velcro wrap pads but the ones I had were different than the link you provided. Those look like they have more padding than the ones I had used.

Congrats and good luck with 'em. Don't put them on backwards and don't poke yourself!

If I let my climb line hang to the ground, I drape it over my foot, so I can feel it there, and not spur it, without looking. Redirecting it to a biner on the gear loop can do it, too, but may not feed out smoothly in an emergency.

I think you may want to tie your blake's closer to you, and maybe daisy chain that tail out of the way, or just cut it shorter. Possibly leaving enough for a stopper knot. I don't know about a Blake's hitch. I carry a spare hitch cord, in case of a double-tie-in. Which I rarely do on the fly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey, Peter:

Sorry for the delayed reply!

I wound up finding a very gently used pair on fleaBay. (Steel Buckinghams, pole gaff, Big Buck Velcro pads from a TX pawnshop) Used them at height for the first time on Sunday to top & drop #1 of my EAB victims. They were great. I never gaffed out--until I made a conscious effort to experiment with moving to the low/under side of the lean.

In an incredibly generous gesture, Samuel (Sgriff) also sent me a pair of aluminum Geckos that he wan't using. They need new gaffs and new pads & velcro, which involves about a $200 investment and some minimal riveting. I haven't tackled that project yet, since the Bucks were good to go. VERY grateful for the TH kindness!

I have decided I hate my Climb Rights. Had a job on Wednesday, just a small pittosporum to speedline onto a lawn...I've solved the lower wrap problem so they stay in one spot on my boots, but they still feel too far back, and they slip and gaff out too readily. Yes, angle out, straight legs, locked knees, but on the little stuff I do with the amount of moving around the one precise angle to stay locked in is not always attainable and...slip, slide.
My aluminium twisted shank Bashlins were good from the get-go...wish I had them here

Anyone, certainly anyone with developed skills, that is fighting their climbers has the wrong climbers for them.

You know Bashlins work for you, do you want another pair where you are?

Back