t540 xp

Great review, thanks for all the pics!

I agree that thing looks nice and skinny. Is it just the pic or is it really that narrow?

Hopefully I have a long time before my 200 and 192 go to saw heaven, but down the road I'll probably end up with a 540 and that 536 lithium ion one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think I am going to hold out for the Lithium Battery powered one too. My 200T is running strong currently and these are still waiting in the wings

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359300121.444753.jpg

View attachment 45621View attachment 45622
I had no experience with the 338, but in my collection is 339 ... My experience is that there is very brittle plastic is used, unreliable starter and oil capacity problems. My 339 possesses roughly the same power as the Stihl 192. There's also a problem with the feeds missing oil directly ...

The brittle plastic is because it is -30* half the year where you live.

Good job Pete. At a glance how do you rate the build quality?

Pete, overall and seeing as this is officially a pre production version its pretty good. Given what we are getting thrown at us in recent years I think this should be quite robust. One little thing I have spotted though is the soft rubber on the top handle grips, the edges have flaked away a little and an edge can now be felt when in use;

DSCF2186.jpg

Stoner.. The new Husky has 1/4" pitch chain or can run 1/4"?

Very sorry, my mistake. I think in my brainset of giving as much info as possible I lost concentration, it is a 3/8" LP 0.050 semi:|:

Great review, thanks for all the pics!

I agree that thing looks nice and skinny. Is it just the pic or is it really that narrow?

Hopefully I have a long time before my 200 and 192 go to saw heaven, but down the road I'll probably end up with a 540 and that 536 lithium ion one.

I'm not sure why it looks so skinny. After seeing the comments I've been outside and checked, and, in the body itself it is about an eigth wider in the body than a 200t, yet it is about an eigth narrower including the side handle. Perhaps this is due to colour of the clutch cover, I'm not sure, but to show the optical illusion I even pared it up(one thing I hate to see usually) with a 200;

DSCF2189.jpg DSCF2188.jpg

Good review Pete, sounds promising.

I had use of one briefly last year, I liked it.

I presumed the plastic loop was for hooking the saw up close on your harness, it worked well for this.

How did you find the thin bar?, I destroyed the bar on the one I was loaned :big-blue:

Tomorrow is the day it gets its true test Dave. Ben is a demon in a tree but works kit hard, not brutally but what the stuff was designed for.

As he has developed he has gained a good knowledge of trees and gear so will take on his comments as worth while.

I like the idea of hanging the saw short on the plastic loop, will try that one.

Watch this space I guess8)

Thank you so much Pete. I can't wait to get that pig. My boss was going to buy me a 201, but after having run 200t's for years, I all but straight-up refuse to run one of those gutless pigs. I've seen the rednecks mod them with lovely results, but I kinda suck at porting. :(

I think mastermind7864 is a sawbuilder, Randy is his first name, if he's the guy I'm thinking of.

Yeah, Kevin.... like Butch said. If all I can get's a 201, I'd pay good money to have that stupid pig at least ported.

You would have to ask Randy. But I think this 201 might just be muffler modded and timing advanced. Reason I say this it just says with mods, not ported anywhere on video.

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9zf_Bzn33MM?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9zf_Bzn33MM?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Ok... that would give my 200 a run for it

Now this one he did says woods ported 200

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LCKmcItcFdw?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LCKmcItcFdw?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I've read in a few places that if you do the intake port and muffler mod on the 201 and adjust the timing it gets a minimum of 20% increase in power/speed of the stock 200? If that is true, I would also gladly pay the money to have the work done since 200's are hard to come by these days.

jp:D

I've read in a few places that if you do the intake port and muffler mod on the 201 and adjust the timing it gets a minimum of 20% increase in power/speed of the stock 200? If that is true, I would also gladly pay the money to have the work done since 200's are hard to come by these days.

jp:D

We do several of these a year. I can either do the mods for you or (if you're mechanically inclined) I would be glad to share with you how to do it yourself.

Randy: Are you serious man? I'd LOVE to know how to port that pig. When I said that I sucked at porting, that's only because I blew up the piston on my 395--probably cause I got a little too greedy on the exhaust port. But the two 440's I ported, turned out great with really good timing. I'm just really scared to rip into a brand new saw (as irrational as that is) and I would deeply relish any tiny bits of advice you cld channel my way!

Looks like we're gonna get new stock 201's, and I absolutely hate those pigs. The two stockers we already have are gutless, and they absolutely suck.

BTW, Kevin: What the deuce do people mean exactly by "timing advance," and how do inbred folks accomplish it?

Does the 201 use the same type muffler as the 200? Taking off the screen and opening up the internal passage of the muffler on my 020 made a significant difference.

Back