t540 xp

Is a different bar required for the .325 narrow kerf, or the same bar that is used for regular .325? I recently went from 3/8 lo-pro to regular .325 on my oldie but goodie 242xp. I think narrow kerf would be the better way to go. High chain speed is the best attribute of that model.
Yes the NK bar is a little thinner and the rail groove seems shallower. To file a NK chain down small to the witness marks a standard thickness bar would be too wide. Plus the NK tie straps and cutters would wear a ridge between the outside edges of the rails.
Yes the NK is highly recommended for 50cc and under saws, even on my 550 and 346XPs.

One last question: Is the sprocket the same for .325 and .325NK? I figure it must be, but just to be sure.

Kudos to my saw shop. I was in there today getting some other parts and off hand raised a ruckus about the crap chain they had passed off on me and they threw me a loop of PM3 for free. I told them I'd drop the husky chain off to give to the husky rep

Kudos to my saw shop. I was in there today getting some other parts and off hand raised a ruckus about the crap chain they had passed off on me and they threw me a loop of PM3 for free. I told them I'd drop the husky chain off to give to the husky rep
good one Justin
. Is the Pm3 the chisel chain?
Reason is the Picco 63PS3 is the green chisel and the 63PS is yellow chain with no extra safety ramps which is not available in Canada the last I heard.
One last question: Is the sprocket the same for .325 and .325NK? I figure it must be, but just to be sure.

Exactly the same

Same as the pic I posted a couple pages back of the Stihl chain. There's no safety ramps. I'll double check it tomorrow.

This is the chain I've been using and looks the same as the free loop they gave me. I buy it by the quarter roll. What's your opinion on this chain vs any other flavor I should be trying? This roll is nearing the end.
uraqusap.jpg

zejevage.jpg

I used to use that, switched to ps3 which is similar but full chisel. Much prefer the full chisel myself.

Cool. I'll have to pull the loop out I was given but on the box it's in I thought it said pm3. PS3 is a full chisel style cutter with no safety ramps?

When you switched did you notice any increase in kick back tendency?

Cool. I'll have to pull the loop out I was given but on the box it's in I thought it said pm3. PS3 is a full chisel style cutter with no safety ramps?

When you switched did you notice any increase in kick back tendency?

No, ps3 does have the safety ramps, I despise them as much as the next man but they actually make no difference to its cutting ability. There is a version without them but I can't get it in the uk.

Maybe it's designated as a straight ps?

Here's my roll of pm top and the loop of pm3 the shop gave me.

The ps is relatively new is it not?
I don't know if I'd go to ramps but you feel it still cuts better?

ejygyde3.jpg

e9uhe4an.jpg

Justin ,that loop of chisel Picco your shop gave you is not PM[Micro]3 , looks like a misprint on the boxes label or they just put it in a PM box. That lower chain in the top pic is PS[Super]3 chisel which is a green chain. I think that's all Stihl Canada is supplying . My pic here is the 63PM on top and the 63PS [yellow chain ] without the safety links the PS3 has. I got this 63PS chain from Cut4Fun out of Ohio. This is the chain you got to try it cuts like crazy as I tried it on my 550XP.
See you Stihl dealer maybe they can get it now, if not it's worth paying the extra shipping for a 25' roll out of the States.

Attachments

• 20140118_131814.jpg
    20140118_131814.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 41
Yup, the loop you have is 63PS3, with the ramps. Try it before you buy a reel, if I could get 63PS I would, but tbh the ramps don't seem to make any difference, not like the older safety chain that were practically useless.

Ok so that free loop is ps3. But the cutters look exactly the same, not a full chisel. I'll get a better pic.

Thanks for all the info!

Yah the other pic was deceiving it didn't really catch the rounded profile.

I'll be inquiring when I'm in for certain. I've got a few loops on this roll still and am quite comfortable with it so I'll probably use it up before buying. I hate wasting chain.

I'll order a 338 bar and sprocket then, thanks. :thumbup:
Peter when I tried the 3/8 Picco chain on the 550XP the 338 bar with the 3/8 LoPro sprocket tip fits but I had to use a standard 3/8" 7 spline small bore rim sprocket. There is no 3/8 LoPro rim sprocket available in small 7 spline bore. The 3/8 LoPro spur sprocket drum off the 338 won't fit the 550. Standard 3/8 rims with 3/8 LoPro chain is not a perfect match but it does work OK.

Back