t540 xp

u4yhe9ez.jpg

eqyza7ed.jpg

5ugupuru.jpg

ha4e9ary.jpg

A few pics of what's on the saw and the last one is the Stihl chain I run on my 200s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep that Husky chain is the same one I was stuck with. Run that Picco chain on your 540 and keep everything simple..
Cut4fun sent me a loop of the Picco chisel chain and it cuts unbelievably nice. Really rips on my 550XP too ha ha.

Thanks!

That husky chain is worthless then? I'll return that chain then. I specifically asked about it when I picked the saw up.

I'm not sure if Husky has any rebadged Oregon 91VXL without the extra humps.I'll check it out. I got my 338 converted over to .325 95VPX

Don't go out of your way Willard. I'll just run the Stihl chain, I was just interested to know was all.

Squisher u should have that 201 modded it'll change your mind about it!

I will know in the next couple of weeks which way I'll be going for saws. I've thought about having the 201 modded. You run a 201 now and used to run 200s?

Screen pulled 200 easily out cuts my 201 it seems. The biggest difference is popping big conifer limbs. The 201 seems to not have the chain speed to get big limbs to pop clean. It seems like it can't keep up in the cut at all like a 200. I've thought about getting a second one just to see if I truly have a lemon. Don't get me wrong, it cuts and has been reliable.

Don't go out of your way Willard. I'll just run the Stihl chain, I was just interested to know was all.
Your 540 came with the H36 green chain and that appears all Husky Canada has to offer for that saw.
Husky USA has both the H36 and H35 chain. You want the H35 (Oregon 91VXL)

I've only run my 201 and was so disappointed with performance, trigger response, erratic idling etc! I hated it and was considering getting rid of it but I heard so many good things about the mod I figured I had nothing to lose at that point so I sent it off. What a difference! Solved everything! I read 40% gains with the mod and I could definetely tell, I love this thing now. $75 plus shipping there was money well spent vs buying another saw.

I picked up some of this Stihl chain Willard speaks of too. Havent run it yet. Bought some climbing saw chain from the husky dealer last year that had what I thought was a longer cutting tooth, and a slightly different shaped raker. This was good stuff.

I thought all Husqy chain was just rebadged Oregon chain. Do they have their own unique chains as well?

As far as Oregon chain goes, I've been running the 91VXL this last year on my 200T and I'm really pleased with it. Good stuff.

I'm not sure if Husky has any rebadged Oregon 91VXL without the extra humps.I'll check it out. I got my 338 converted over to .325 95VPX

Willard, why are you running .325 on your 338? Seems like that would slow it down unreasonably.

Willard, why are you running .325 on your 338? Seems like that would slow it down unreasonably.
Leon, yeah I had the same problem Justin had with that goofy green H36 chain [rebadged Oregon chain] that my Husky dealer sells. I don't do business with my Stihl dealer anymore so Picco was out .

I run the Husky H30 narrow kerf chain [rebadged Oregon 95VPX] on my 338XPT with a 14" Husky NK bar. The 338XP rear handle saw has the .325 for an option so parts are easy to get[drum, oil pump worm gear ring, bearing and rim sprocket]The oil pump ring has to be ordered separate, the drum /rim kit doesn't supply it .
The beauty of the 338 .325 setup is your able to run a rim sprocket saving on chains if derailed. The MS200 has no rim sprocket drum setup available. I tried .325 chisel but found it was too wide of a kerf robbing power for the little 338. The NK chain cuts real fast and the semi chisel cutter holds a good edge. Pruning and removals the .325NK is more aggressive and quicker cutting with less pinching and better chip flow over the 3/8 91 VXL Oregon [H35 Husq].

When I get my 540 I'll see if the .325 setup will fit it or is available. If not I'll run the Stihl Picco 63PS chisel 3/8"

My general minimally explored opinion is that you need at least somewhere between 40-45ccs of power in a saw before running .325 becomes a positive option over lighter and narrower kerf chain..

Put some stihl PS or PM on that 540 and let her eat. PS PS3 is my choice for all 3/8lp now.

Willard did you every try that PS to compare on the 338?

Interesting Willard. I'm not familiar with the .325NK chains. I'll give them a look. I don't think I'll be running it on my top handle saw, but it might fun to try on the ported 346.

Put some stihl PS or PM on that 540 and let her eat. PS PS3 is my choice for all 3/8lp now.

Willard did you every try that PS to compare on the 338?
Kevin, not on the 338 yet but I have tried it on the 550XP cutting cookies off a 10"X10" spruce, rips like crazy ha ha.

Interesting Willard. I'm not familiar with the .325NK chains. I'll give them a look. I don't think I'll be running it on my top handle saw, but it might fun to try on the ported 346.

The narrow kerf .325 is way narrower kerf then a standard .325 and pulls like a 3/8 LoPro with an added benifit of having a higher cutter offering better chip clearance and chip flow over the mini 3/8".

Is a different bar required for the .325 narrow kerf, or the same bar that is used for regular .325? I recently went from 3/8 lo-pro to regular .325 on my oldie but goodie 242xp. I think narrow kerf would be the better way to go. High chain speed is the best attribute of that model.

Back