Stump grinding tips/ tricks/ tools.

Tbh Willard shouldn't go bigger than what fits on his trailer setup. It would make no sense whatsoever.

I AM able to bid very competitively and still make good $, which keeps the phone ringing.. each to his own though. We all deal with too many variables to say my way is the best... I actually got a sweetheart deal on that machine.. took over payments after the former owner put $5K down and made the first 18 out of 60 payments... leaving me 3.5 years of payments at 1200/mnth. In 18 months he only put 72 hours on it and kept it in the garage. I think I have close to 200 hours since March 5... Generally switch out the teeth every 20-30 hours..

This one was a bit tricky... gas and water pipes to work around.. purty tight....

Attachments

• big maple stump by sidewalk.jpg
    big maple stump by sidewalk.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 44
Hella deal, Murph.

That stump wins ugliest of the year imo.

It depends. Those cut would probably be fine it's the cross cuts that are a PITA.

I'll bet a dollar he's a dentist.

stumps du jour

not a denist.. they were trying to remove it by hand and got a lot farther than I would have expected.. Woman made my day when she started swinging that pick like a man... When there eas a piece of angle iron tying the stump to the curb the man brought out his sawsall and cut it... even then I had to use the push blade to break out the two chunks near the steel pipes...

Here are a couple stumps from yesterday.. 2 big maples around 8' across at the flare and over 15' with surface roots.. 1 hour 50 minutes of grinding.. trick on these big stumps is to cut all the way around the main stump to get all the surface roots before attacking the meat of the stump, so all the surface roots have been ground before they are covered in chips.. also its necessary to move the chips out from time to time, which is done primarily by sweeping the non-rotating wheel to push chips. On these two big ones, it was helpful to use the push blade to move big piles out of the way as well.

Attachments

• 2 big maple stumps.jpg
    2 big maple stumps.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 69
Nice work.
Concur on the chasing the roots back to the stump before attacking the main stump.
Can be tempting to go for it early but it's a false time gain.

I never actually load the grinder till I'm certain, it's always the same, strap it down on the trailer and the blower finds another one.

Murphy's law in fact!

Nice work.
Concur on the chasing the roots back to the stump before attacking the main stump.
Can be tempting to go for it early but it's a false time gain.

100%, I run a low hp machine so Ill chase roots with semi dull teeth and then switch to sharpies for the main gig when faced with similar amount of surface roots. Another small machine tip would be that sometimes flush cutting a stump for a small machine is best left to very last thing before grinding - one time a customer cancelled the stump grind after he saw the flush cut, its pretty uncommon but if your keen on getting the stumps along with the removal then be aware that it can happen.

not a denist.. they were trying to remove it by hand and got a lot farther than I would have expected.. Woman made my day when she started swinging that pick like a man... When there eas a piece of angle iron tying the stump to the curb the man brought out his sawsall and cut it... even then I had to use the push blade to break out the two chunks near the steel pipes...

Here are a couple stumps from yesterday.. 2 big maples around 8' across at the flare and over 15' with surface roots.. 1 hour 50 minutes of grinding.. trick on these big stumps is to cut all the way around the main stump to get all the surface roots before attacking the meat of the stump, so all the surface roots have been ground before they are covered in chips.. also its necessary to move the chips out from time to time, which is done primarily by sweeping the non-rotating wheel to push chips. On these two big ones, it was helpful to use the push blade to move big piles out of the way as well.

Murph, Do you grind the whole thing or grind around the core and saw out a chunk? I have done that a few times and it really cuts down on the chip pile.

Stump seemed so much bigger today when i arrived......Things found by grinder today.
0622e4aadc2c30334022ee0da24f8f10.jpg

446184415079c76ad5ed4eeeb7659e70.jpg

23474c46dceb3a9af660c21610361159.jpg

Bout an hour or so. Palm melts like butter......Thing was bigger than I remember bidding it....
friggin' left him the T stake. Sawzall Boyee!

Back