90's Super Jr

Husabud

TreeHouser
Have any of you guys owned or operated a Rayco Super Jr.? I've got a line on a mid 90's super that needs a motor. I believe it has a 25 hp Kohler on it. The price is right ( 1,700 ) and it would save me some serious money in rentals. Any feed back would be great.

I had one. It was okay, obviously not a lot of power though. The frame right under the motor cracked and I had it welded. Years later it broke again. Rayco redesigned the area, so check it for old repairs. If it looks welded, it may break again.

If you don't grind alot of stumps, maybe it will be good for you. Generally speaking, I would recommend getting a more powerful machine. The little machines can drive you nuts due to lack of power.

Not a bad machine for small-ish stumps.

Rentals?? I'd find a reliable sub before I'd go THAT route; mine averages $50 a stump with his own gear and insurance, and he's on-the-spot whenever and wherever I need him.

I rented a stump grinder ONCE in order to utilize a long holiday weekend when my stump guy was not available and I had nothing better to do. The rental cost me twice what they quoted me, I had to buy 10 teeth from my stump guy to replace the worst ones on the rental so it would work (and they didn't reimburse me for that, either) and I worked several hours for next to nothing. I will never rent another stump grinder ever again. The stump subcontractor is faster, cheaper and does a better job than I could do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree, a stump contractor is a better choice. I haven't found a decent one around that takes care of the whole job. Most stumps i get are 14 inch and under and in backyards. I have only rented twice and it is a new Vermeer that is always sharp. I have blasted 30 in a day and for $325 with ins I am not making alot but I'm busy. You know that whole idle hands thing.:evil:

I had a 2000 or 2001, I think. I beat the crap out of it for 4 years without an issue. I kept it sharp and ground stumps too big for it all the time. It sucked, the gringing of the bigger stump with a small machine; but the Super Jr did fine. Moving grindings with a pitch fork so you can finish a stump is for the birds, but often necessary with a machine that size on bigger stumps.

For stumps the size you are talking about, I think it is a fine machine if it isn't too tired of beaten down.

I have a 1993 SJ 1620 with a replacement used 25hp engine.

You can run sharp teeth, which is usually way more than you can get at a rental.

It is going to be a step up from dull tooth productivity, but still best for tight access where a more powerful machine can't get.

I was just thinking of selling my grinder because I have had little request for it, and I don't like grinding--boring. But my machine has paid for itself.

What kind of replacement engine will you put on it? New, used? I found that my replacement engine sits a little too close to the frame and I have a conflict at certain angles with the oil drain plug. Shorter belts and a new mounting plate are the solution. You might come across something of that sort with retrofitting. You can probably make it pay for itself in a short while, but if you can do more profitable tree work, you might be well off. For bigger, accessible stumps, you will be better off with a subcontractor grinder.

yeah but she will last Al

the problem with an old machine is things start failing when they go back in service
i bought mine. and some rust in the valve body moved and the controls went out, rebuild that...500 bucks, i did the full on tune up, and then had to replace ignition parts...more coin
my hubs are frozen locked up in the both wheels turn like a tractor mode

but it has paid for itself and its repairs, and i did put green teeth on it
and i love having the extend able tongue
i can put it up in a car trailer using the tongue extension, and i can manhandle the machine around better with the tongue part way out

i cant afford a new machine, or get financing to buy a good used one, so i guess i'll put a new honda on it unless i can get another 25 horse for a good price
while its down i'll repaint the old girl

you know i rebuild old crap over a 1 year period, cause the banks wont finance me, yet i put out almost the same amount of dough over the year to rebuild a p o s and make it use able.............good machine, get the price lowered and it'll be alright

I was looking at new Kohler comm 30 hp motors for around 1,800. Its got a Kohler on it now but 25 hp and I'm not sure what happened to it yet. Looks like I can pick it up for about 1,000. All the used machines I've seen in this size are between 3,500 and 7,500. I figure it will pay for itself this summer and then it can do what it wants. Or I'll sell it. I really want a mini, but that's not in the near future.

I just looked it up on small engine warehouse from near Dunkirk Indiana for that model .According to them that specific engine is no longer in production .Which is not to say it can't be refit with another of about the same horse power .For a thou and 30 HP I would think is an extremely good price .

38 HP might be too much for the 25 HP designed machine????

A problem that I ran into was that the housing around the wheel was just a bit too narrow from green teeth, so I got Vermeer Yellow Jackets, with two sides.

I replaced a 25 hp kohler with a 38 hp kohler on my Carlton 2500-4. Tntree (Dave) is a member here and this kind of shows how I did the changeover. Maybe Dave can tell us if your stumpgrinder is robust enough to handle the larger motor. I couldn't find my pictures on the forum here but here they are on facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1324433606022.44014.1686347248

Here is a video of the first stump that it ground after the changeover.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-9njtS3Dok

Well I almost had it. Missed it by 15 F'n minutes. Wondering, actually why the Bastaad didn't wait. Ah well I'll find another or just clean up after the local" Stump Guru".

Back