Stihl Picco Chain...WTF?

NickfromWI

King of Splices
I walked in to the arb supply store yesterday morning on the way to a ficus removal. I mentioned I needed a new chain for my MS200T. Dude tosses me the chain saying, "here you go, boss." I pay and head to the job site. I head up the tree, then saw is sent up with the new chain. While revving, it sounded different. Then when cutting it felt different.

After finishing the first cut I looked more closely and saw these cute little teeth. I was confused, but it was cutting fine so just went with it.

Whats the deal? Why would someone WANT these baby teeth? I intend to return them on Monday. It was my mistake for not checking their work, but they should've either handed me the right thing, asked a clarifying question, or said, "I'm not sure exactly what you want, can you pick the one you want?"

Should I just keep it?

love
nick

Take it back Nick, I just bought a new 200T and the dudes tried to pass that chain off with a 14" bar to me saying it would cut faster blah blah blah. Used it for 1 job and then sold that setup to a friend who runs 192s. Put a 16" bar with .050 chain, and am happy with that which I knew was the right thing in the beginning, now my old one with the 14" bar has a big brother for takedowns. Problem solved.

Is it a low kick-back chain? They do have reduced cutter length. We have to use them at work - policy. I have found that the chain is usually work out before the cutters are filed back to maximum ( providing the chain has not been rocked on something)

Swingdude are the trees you cut generally soft? A 16" bas on a 200t here would cut so slowley that it would ruin a saw & make cutting difficult. 14" max - usually 12" used

I think he's talking about tiny chain .043 driver thickness .You shouldn't run it on a 50 thou bar .The Stihl version of that has guard links the Carlton not .

It might cut as fast in the Carlton style ,not so on the Stihl style .

I have a 12" .043 bar that Toms boys used as a crowbar which I straightened out and both Stihl and Carlton chain .However I prefer Stihl chain in 50 thou driver over both .

Nick: Not sure what you mean by "little baby teeth," and it cld just be that I've never seen that particular chain before, but yah... try to get the fastest cutting chain for that pig. I think that the full-cornered stuff is called 63 ps3, but I can't remember. It's relatively new. Has a full 90 degree corner on it as opposed to its semi-chisel counterparts. Fastest cutting chain for sure. I forget the number though.... There's a thread somewhere around this place about it.... best of luck.

Swingdude are the trees you cut generally soft? A 16" bas on a 200t here would cut so slowley that it would ruin a saw & make cutting difficult. 14" max - usually 12" used[/QUOTE]

Hey Pete, mostly concrete wood here in the tropics but a little softwood now and again. My 14" bar has been kicking a$$ for years, but decided to see what the 16" can do as that's all my bud's crew runs. He has never had problems with that combo so lets see how things go. We are using .050" chain and .050" bars ( 16" and 14" ). I just got a 12" bar for the .050" chain in an exchange. Dude had it knocking around. Seems small but will make a chain for it and give it a spin pruning. 14" bar still my favorite though. Will never use the .043 picco mini on the 200T though.

The numbers on Sthil 050 thou is 63 pmcs on semi chisel,picco micro. 63ps3 on what they call picco super which is the full chisel .

As I said in another thread the chisel will make about a one second difference on a poplar 8 by 8 one cut .It costs about a dollar more a loop for a 50 driver or 14" loop .

So far as yet it appears the Stihl chisel is the fastest stuff going .If it sells well enough no doubt Oregon will have it soon .

I've run only 16" on 200t's. And some 14's actually. Used 16" in a wide variety of hardwoods including beech, oak, and hickory. Never hurt the saw. Cut just about as well as 14" in the same wood.

Well for that matter a 200T won't run out of power but it is a little saw .Never the less I have no doubt if you fiddled long enough you could drop an oak with one .

For that matter you could do it with a Silky. 200t has plenty of power to pull 16" without strain and struggle. When most people tell me 12 & 14" is the max, its usually because they convinced themself of that, not because a 16" gave them trouble.

I've tried a 12" on someone else's saw. It didn't impress me at all. It felt like I was wasting good power by using such a small bar with limited reach. It didn't feel balanced to me at all. It sure was quick for nipping suckers. But so is a silky.

I don't knock someone for running the smaller bars. It's all in what you are used to and happy with.

Yup. 16" is great on the 200t. Never underpowered. It's weird: the tons of torque thing almost doesn't seem to matter with short bars even if you run full comp. Like if you put a 28 inch bar on a 66 or a 395--you're just wasting torque...

You boys agree, or have I opened another can of worms?

Back