Should we be worried??

It's happened before, it'll happen again, it's called "cosmic pinball". As Jay says, nothing we can do about it, I think Bruce Willis is too old to put a nuke on it now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was wondering if we should be worried about the resultant solar flare that should be imenent not about being hit by a random object....

William R. Forstchen wrote a good book about the after effects of a massive power outage called One Second After. It got some press when the Pentagon and a few congress types mentioned it in session. Basically, if we lost power, most of us would be dead in three weeks.

I wonder what it would feel like for that instant if a rock eight times the size of the earth slammed into us? Must be a hell of a jolt. :O

Look at it this way... we are really damn lucky to have the sun, Jupiter, Saturn and the moon or we would never even have be a blip in the universal scheme of things.

I was wondering if we should be worried about the resultant solar flare that should be imenent not about being hit by a random object....

There's a chance we may get some inclement weather, a better chance it will mess up some of the E-layers that the ham operators use, throwing the signal in different places than normal. But there shouldn't be any overall radiation threats or such from it.

We just missed a CME that would have set us back to the Dark Ages, about a year ago. Lucky for us, it blew out from another angle, missing planet Earth.

It's just a matter of time.

Wait...y'all mean we needn't worry about global warming and climate change, or cutting all the oldgrowth down, or extinction of massive numbers of species due to loss of habitat, or wiping out the ocean ecosystems, 'cause a big ass asteroid might change things way more and way faster here on Earth, any time???

Just askin'...;)

Wait...y'all mean we needn't worry about global warming and climate change, or cutting all the oldgrowth down, or extinction of massive numbers of species due to loss of habitat, or wiping out the ocean ecosystems, 'cause a big ass asteroid might change things way more and way faster here on Earth, any time???

Just askin'...;)

Well in that case I am on my way to Sequoia Forest with my 3120 to git me sum! LOL
Personally we have to worry more about a volcanic eruption than we do an cosmic collision, but either way there is nothing we can do about it.

Back