Should I be able to use a hitch-climber with this saddle?

Robert P

TreeHouser
Seeing that a hitch climber uses a bridge, can it be fitted to this kind of saddle?

saddle.jpg

Yes, the bottom carabiner can just be clipped into the two rings...but that's a nasty harness, I can't think you'd be comfortable for any length of time in that.
Much better to go for one with a sliding bridge and independent well proportioned leg loops, have a look at Petzl, Edelrid, Tree Austria, Butterfly, Buckingham, or some of the more modern Weavers.
Tree Motion for the top grade!

This is a good place to start Robert....
sad307-500.gif

I like my single sliding D much better than the two for most applications and would recommend that instead for a beginner. there is little room in the small D rings to tie into twice (together).

I find that when used separately the one my friction hitch side is attached to has a tendency to bind in a slid down position then let go and slide tight unexpectedly. When used together they seem to bind or slide hard often enough that one might as well use the saddle Robert is looking at.

The single D has larger rings which are a bit easier to deal with for me, and the ring slides on the bridge with much more consistency.

I use both single and double sliding D saddles daily, but for different applications. The Double D mostly for double crotching or because of the extra accessory loops it has when I need to carry slings etc. with me. Single D is my go-to for simpler/quicker jobs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, the bottom carabiner can just be clipped into the two rings...but that's a nasty harness, I can't think you'd be comfortable for any length of time in that.

Would you consider any saddle with padded independent leg loops an improvement over the saddle pictured? It's a Weaver wideback saddle that comes with the kit I ordered from WesSpur. The problem I might run into is whether a particular saddle will fit me. About a 46" waist, many of them don't seem to come in that size.

4 dee saddles SUCK! A floating dee is best, IMEO. I once asked at an arborist meeting why someone wouldn't want a floating dee and a couple responded "because they'll roll you out!" I had to chuckle a bit.

Tell you what - if you want that bridge to last forever, cut those dees out and replace it with a biner and roller. Burnham turned me on to that.

Attachments

• goodoldweaver.JPG
    goodoldweaver.JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 72
In the meanwhile I need to find gear that fits.

Would you consider any saddle with padded independent leg loops an improvement over the saddle pictured? It's a Weaver wideback saddle that comes with the kit I ordered from WesSpur. The problem I might run into is whether a particular saddle will fit me. About a 46" waist, many of them don't seem to come in that size.

Yes, any thin loops or webbing is going to cut into you before very long sitting in the harness, especially if I extrapolate your weight as being proportional to your waist size, thin loops will make you miserable eventually.

An exception might be a hard batten seat style harness where your weight is distributed across your butt and upper thighs, the leg loops are really only to keep the seat positioned correctly on your butt and help keep you in the harness, and the hard batten doesn't cut into your legs...

The downside is reduced flexibility and manouverability, if you are only doing takedowns it might be ok, but for moving around in the canopy being able to stretch and reach with all your leg range is key. Also being able to roll and reach from side to side is a bonus, a fixed central attachment is limiting., So if you opt for independent leg loops, the wider more padded ones are better.

Bermy, Masterblaster, and pantheraba all have given sound advice. Nothing I need add...follow their experience.

Yes, any thin loops or webbing is going to cut into you before very long sitting in the harness, especially if I extrapolate your weight as being proportional to your waist size, thin loops will make you miserable eventually..

6'3" - 6'4", two hundred and mumble mumble pounds...

End of last week I started climbing again, after a 4 year sabbatical. One of the biggest reasons I'm back to climbing is for the exercise... Scott will still climb the PITA trees and on jobs when production is wanted.

I'm 6'1, 275lbs, 40x34, and am using the Buckingham Rebellion Saddle with the belt on the 4th largest of 5 holes. It's as comfortable as could be expected, although the leg loops have enough adjustment to go around the legs 50%+ bigger than mine.

Mind the stubs. I left them for a TIP as I haven't bought/made a friction saver/false crotch yet... perhaps this week. Here's some of the trees from Wednesday.
IMG_8799 1.jpg
IMG_8820.jpg
IMG_8826 1.jpg
IMG_8833 1.jpg
IMG_8838 1.jpg

Carlito!!!! Good to see you back in the trees. I think you are the first TreeHouser that I ever shared a tree with...at the Tree Rendezvous in MS (2006 -- Nick from Wisconsin is also in picture) when I first met you and then at the Andersonville Cemetery climb.

Exercise is good...good on ya!

Attachments

• IMG_0958.JPG
    IMG_0958.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0988.JPG
    IMG_0988.JPG
    259 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1000.JPG
    IMG_1000.JPG
    292.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1019.JPG
    IMG_1019.JPG
    226.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1023.JPG
    IMG_1023.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1139.JPG
    IMG_1139.JPG
    293.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1155.JPG
    IMG_1155.JPG
    281.3 KB · Views: 43
I was 180 in 10th grade. The lightest I've been since I grew up was 225lbs in Army ROTC at MSU. Pt 5 days a week (8 hours) running 20+ miles a week, sprints were another 3-5 miles per week. Push-ups/sit-ups/walking lunges/etc every day, and combatives a couple hours every Thursday.

Andersonville was a ripping good time, Gary! It's good to see pictures from that long ago.

Thanks, Stephen. That's what my groundy said, he's helped me off an on over the past 10 years.

Back