Shizill Spider Plate

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
We had these things called 'Dummy Plates' in our rescue kits when we did tower work. It looked like a big rigging plate with 10 or so holes and you wove the rope through it as directed and it replaced using a knot, so if someone who knew nothing about climbing came up the tower to rescue you, it took a little longer for him to kill both of you.

Apparently we now have dummy plates in tree work.

The Shizill Spider Plate https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=2122#detail

Screen shot 2012-12-15 at 7.28.12 AM.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here is a 'dummy plate' or rope termination plate.

http://www.sitepro1.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=76
category_348.jpg

it appears, as a lite rigging tool, it could save wear on rope ends. that one illustration of it choking the limb says a lot. as running bowline's are typically murder on rope. and then some people in this profession couldn't tie a running bowline if their life depended on it.

Jer, I have a ground worker who has that exact problem. Try as I might she just doesn't get it. Can't fire her though, I love her too much...she's my wife Heide.

Tying knots is just a matter of feel after a while. Yet some people never pick it up.

Most of the rigging guys I know in the woods couldn't tie a simple knot in a piece of rope. About all they know, is how to connect shackles and choker bells. Damn few can splice wire rope. It's getting to be a lost skill.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I went to an adventure camp when I was 12 or so, strangely the 'bug' didnt catch then.

However before we were allowed on the walls or rope course components we were required to tie a figure8 followthrough, bowline, butterfly, and scaffold knot - one handed in front and behind your back with two hands. It never left me and I have never forgotten those knots. To this day I can also still tie a swiss seat out of any kind of material.

I hear ya there I have been trying to teach a few guys how to tie knots and they are just not getting it.
Tho I am proud to say that I can splice double braid and three strand, and I wish I knew someone to show me how to splice wire rope.

Oh God a Swiss seat! That is a whole new level of pain.

I thought it was a Snoop Dog thing. If he were to be the celebrity endorser, I'd buy it. Until then, I"ll stick to a RB. If they can't untie a RB, they don't work for me. If they can't tie a RB, can I trust them to weave it correctly?

Seems like an overhand would be a good back-up, but I suppose you aren't supposed to need a back-up for light rigging, until it gets to be a little too big to be considered light rigging, but then its back to tying a knot, though it can't get any simpler than an overhand.

For tying a RB, I don't let go with either hand until its time to set the knot. I use the twist of the wrist, pull the 'tree' down into the 'rabbit hole' method, rather then the rabbit going out of the hole, around the tree, and back in the hole. Seems more fool-proof to me. Muscle memory, like playing the guitar.

RB is a damn good knot for light rigging, but I've ended up cutting the rope after a hard pull with them. And then I've had them cut through the eye a few times too. Though only on the ground dragging debris with the truck. To be expected there.

RB is a damn good knot for light rigging, but I've ended up cutting the rope after a hard pull with them. And then I've had them cut through the eye a few times too. Though only on the ground dragging debris with the truck. To be expected there.

Hey Jer, when you cut the rope using the RB, did you also have a marl/half hitch before the RB to take some of the hit first?

When we have to pull hard with 1/2" amsteel, we will make two turns around the trunk before the RB to preserve strength. We've broken the 1/2" amsteel at the knot when we have had to run the bowline up from the ground on a failing tree (no climbing it) pulling with a small Cat with a solid winch.

Sometimes, rope is not the answer, or at least the normally at hand ropes.

Seems that this plate is designed to be used where people are hiring poor employees. Rather go with girthed loops instead.

Wonder where and at what strain the system would break with this plate, and how it compares to the RB.

It's not for me...but I guess I could see how someone might be down with it.

Chris, she can learn. Patience and practice!

But if she doesn't WANT to learn, it'll never happen.

I swear, Nick, some people just never pick it up. I trained nearly 20 young men during my line clearance days, and a few of them were senior's. Some people just have a block, with knots.

I found telling them to just take 3 full wraps around the work and finish with a few half hitches to the standing part, they could understand. And it would worked every time. And it is actually a sound rigging method.

Back