First climbing set up

weedkilla

TreeHouser
So I've read until my brain hurts, any reason I shouldn't buy this -

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=180&item=157#detail

I normally shy away from buying stuff in a kit, but this seems like good value to me even if it comes with a fairly expensive saddle. I've tried pricing up individual bits and pieces and trying to shave some dollars, but I don't seem to end up much cheaper and end up without some of the goodies like the hitch climber and pantin which seem like good things to try and a much cheaper saddle.

Any advice or suggestions? I'm coming into this with NO experience, but really don't like buying twice - which is why I keep coming back to a kit with a fairly expensive saddle as it seems that there aren't any bad reviews on it.

It looks like a decent kit, but unless I missed it you'll still need spurs unless you're not doing any removals. Titanium Buck's are my vote, I like the caddy pads myself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep - I figure I'm better off to get comfy on ropes before I try any removals, so spurs will come later.

That's a sweet looking harness. I'd love to have one. Looks like that kit would get you started but I didn't notice a big-shot or better yet a APTA(air powered tree access, I think?) for setting lines. I'd definitely get something to launch the bags.

Luck on finding what you're looking for, young fellow. When I started in this business there were very few choices on what to buy for a climbing system. It was simple then. Today the choices can bewilder someone coming up.

Well, your dvd's were the second thing recommended to me. They'll be winging their way to me soon!

I've enrolled in an arboriculture course - but previous experiences with training providers leaves me thinking it's a 50/50 bet whether or not I get training or just certification. It's just the way it is around here, so the ability to ask stupid questions on forums is a boon.

"Young fellow" sounds good! I'm figuring at 38 I'd better get up in the trees and working now or give up on the idea.

Don't go buying expensive kits if u got no experience. How do u know if it's the right thing for u ? I say start simple. Less crap to think about while learning. In a way I think the gear should be earned. I also have a lot of gear:D

If you got the jangle buy what you want. If it doesn't work out you can always sell it for cheap...............to someone like me!

Don't go buying expensive kits if u got no experience. How do u know if it's the right thing for u ? I say start simple. Less crap to think about while learning. In a way I think the gear should be earned. I also have a lot of gear:D

Ok. That all makes sense - but i need to buy something, tying a lump of cheap nylon rope to the belt loops on my jeans doesn't have much appeal!

Got any suggestions? I'm all ears.

I would not buy a kit, and I'd get spurs from the get-go. You'll need them for takedowns.

1) Saddle
2)Climbing rope
3) Light bullrope
4) Heavy bullrope
5) Portawrap
6) Spurs
7) Handsaw
8) Lanyard with ascender
9) Big Shot
10) Throwline with throwball.
11) Polesaw

Now, work your way up from there. :drink:

Thanks MB. When you say pole saw I'm assuming you mean a handsaw on a stick, rather than the powered one I have now? I see it mentioned in the tree climbers companion for advancing the rope and other things, but I had put that in the things I could live without pile.
Your list looks a lot like what's in the kit I mentioned, with the addition of rigging gear and without a couple of doohickeys that look to me like they might make ascending easier.

I should probably say I have chain saws, hand saws, a 9" chipper and a small tipper. It's really rope skills I want to add at the moment, but I'll take the advice on the spurs as I've found some trees to practice on with them. (They need to come down and while I could just drop them I'll take the opportunity to practice when it's a job for a mate, not a "real" job).

As a recreational tree climber, I don't see anything in the kit that you wouldn't need/use. I am assuming it is meant to be a DdRT setup in which case you will also need a friction saver of one type or another.

That kit will make a fine place to start. I pieced my initial setup out, and it ended up costing about the same.

Like reed said, you'll want a friction saver, I like the leather ones. Also a Big Shot, there's just no way around it. 8)

PPE is covered, boots I'll run what I've got till I see a need.
I'm running five ten exum guides. It's a rock climbing approach/guide boot, I've found the stealth rubber to be much grippier than the vibram rubber I see on most of the dedicated arb boots. I might be wrong, but from just climbing trees I prefer them when compared to vibram soled hikers. I think they might be a good choice.
For spur use I've got some stiff soled work boots, if I need something with a stiffer shank then I'll get it then.

nothing wrong with the kit at all. You could pick up a saddle, rope, and some beaners for $400. Big shots are great but you don't need one by any means. Learn to throw. Climb with a pole for setting lines. Spurs are pricey of course. Geckos are the best but I got a pair of aluminum climb rights with big pads and have no problems. Are u working for yourself?

Everyone will have different opinions on how to do it. Myself, I'd get a line-setting device. Bigshot or better yet APTA. You'll have a lot to learn without frustrating yourself with throwing by hand. Probably a regional thing as much as a personal thing. Hand throwing isn't effective a lot of the time around here. Atleast my hand throwing isn't.

If you're got the money and don't mind spending it. Get good gear.

Yep, work for myself. Weed control is the main thing, but I've grown the tree weed stuff to about 1/4 - 1/3 of the year. I'm happy slinging a chainsaw, not so much in some of the other spraying jobs we get.

If I can grow into some climbing work, I can do more of what I enjoy. But I don't need to rush, I can learn at my own pace and knock back anything I'm not comfy with.

thats cool man. working for yourself is a great thing(most of the time) who am I to tell you not to get a lot of gear. I have tons of crap and love it. sounds like your already dedicated. I've heard lots of talk from people that want to learn and buy a bunch of stuff but turns out they are afraid of heights or something that is imperative for tree work. really you can get whatever and just follow the age old rule of practicing low and slow. do you know any body around that can help teach?

Nope, don't know anyone who can help me learn.

I've enrolled in an arboriculture course - but as I said earlier I'm not convinced that I'll learn all I need to know. The way things are structured here they only get paid their government grant money when you pass. So everybody passes and the more people they can blow through the more they earn.
Financially it's cheap for me, arboriculture is recognised as an industry in need of more professionals so it costs about $2k, and when I finish I get a grant for $5k! It'll tick off a few tickets I have that are out of date and I'll pick up some new ones like rope work.
From a QA and accreditation point of view it is fine, but the quality of the education will be interesting to see.

It's just life here, you need a ticket for everything, but if you can tick all the boxes you can get the good council, government and big business jobs. Doesn't mean you know anything of course....

I have been to very few worthwhile classes. this is a trade that people apprentice in. not trying to put down taking classes. I'm sure there are some good ones out there. But the treehouse is a great place to learn. the people you'll talk to here are experienced and helpfull and are mostly still in the field. you got anyone working with you?

What types of trees will you climb? Thin bark, thick bark?

I just got Titanium Buckingham gaffs, with tree spurs, dirt cheap. Previously, I only had pole spurs ($25 on eBay, 7 years ago). I'm the anomaly here. I will likely buy pole spurs for the Bucks.

Wide open crotches or tight shots for the throwline. An APTA is close on my list. I have a lot of crowded, tight shots where hand throwing is not realistic for a really good high TIP.

Back