Sandy

I heard a rumor today that a convoy of utility workers were turned away from the disaster because they were non-union. Seriously? I hope it is not true.

Heck, that woud be a shame; if they were turned away there are small non-incorporated communities that have their own power crews and need assistance.

Shameful. Everyones efforts are important, no one should be spurned, we really are all in this together, and the sooner we figure that out the better things would be for everyone. There are 'union' workers in our community who are out of work more than they are working, and I throw them side jobs as much as I do to independents. Everyone needs to feed their children!

I heard a rumor today that a convoy of utility workers were turned away from the disaster because they were non-union. Seriously? I hope it is not true.

http://www.katv.com/story/19989352/ala-utility-crew-returns-home

NOT TRUE!

If union members have have to pay dues to make prevailing wage, then shouldn't non-union members pay the same dues to make the same wage? They weren't turned away, they were asked to kick in and refused....or if you belive the article there was a "misunderstanding"

A bunch of my friends are in Central Park doing tree debris removal, oldirty being one of 'em.

You gotta help me understand why guys from NE of Boston are called in to help clean up Central Park in NYC?? Seriously crazy.

I'm buried with work within 3 miles of my house. Maybe all the NYC area guys are busy too with their own stuff too. But I'd be surprised if there aren't 50-100 tree companies closer than Boston who own their own 33+ ton cranes and are qualified to do storm cleanup in Central park. Just seems crazy to me but if all parties involved are happy then more power to them.

http://www.katv.com/story/19989352/ala-utility-crew-returns-home

NOT TRUE!

If union members have have to pay dues to make prevailing wage, then shouldn't non-union members pay the same dues to make the same wage? They weren't turned away, they were asked to kick in and refused....or if you belive the article there was a "misunderstanding"

They get around that one in Bermuda by requiring EVERYONE to have a deduction from their pay, $10 for union dues, or $10 to a registered charity of your choice...so there is no monetary diadvantage/advantage to anyone. You can even choose to be non-union in a union shop, your choice.

After the heatwarming and reaffirming stories from Pigwot, and that confirmation of the joy that doing the right thing brings, there always seems to be a downer, its how we respond to it that counts. Can you shrug it off to ignorant nincompoops, state your displeasure, then get on with your stuff? Its got to be hard if you are cold and have no power I bet!
In Bda (sorry for all the stories, but the similarities are striking) in '03 after the worst hurricane in 100 yrs, a week after the storm, the public sector labour union went on strike, yeah, the guys repairing the bridges, roads, clearing the trees...they brought out other areas, hospitality, transport...it wasn't pretty and I can't even remember why they went out...suffice to say that public opinion handed them a roasting they richly deserved and they went back pretty sharpish.

Probably true...... but how many have a 100 ton and two 60 ton cranes?;)

I'll ask Dan next time I see him how he ended up with the contract.

When you said oldirty I figured you meant Marquis was there, didn't know he was with Mayer.

Being disconnected from the main media the only news I get is from here. All these reports about Sandy blows my mind.

Luck to you all out there having to deal with it. Be careful in the wake.

Sandy has been definitely a major storm here in coastal CT. Cranes have been virtually impossible to rent. Work has been mad chaotic, hours last week were 4.45 am to 11pm most everyday, many quick appts done by flashlight (of course if I had a salesman, that could have been avoided)(and if I had a crane, that problem would go away too), my town had the worst flooding near the water in at least 50 yrs, alot of old folks (my father included) had the lower floor of their homes flooded with salt water, electricity was out for 7 - 9 days.

But what made me post was what Jerry said about lack of news. Alot of people may be unaware of what is happening in hard hit areas of Long Island NY: they are still out of power and aren't likely to get it back till thanksgiving. It was definetly cold today to go along with 6-10" of heavy wet snow. We got our power back before the cold hit, thank God. Folks living in suburbia during cold weather with no power for like 23 days is a pretty insane concept. Apparently the power company there has not nearly enough supervisors to coordinate all the help that came in from out of town, so alot of the workers are reportedly sitting idle.

With 3 straight years of heavy storms here, and with all the perfectly healthy, strong trees I have seen go over, if you don't have a generator and you do have large trees close to your house, you are just plain irresponsible, imo.

I coordinated with a colleague of mine who has a sizable tree svc out of the area, and they came in with their 40t crane and gear and crew and took a huge load off me and helped alot of my customers, for the past week.

Back