Sandy

Are Paul's post #23 and Nick's post #27 the same movie? :?

Thanks, Nick ... thought I was missing something ... :)

If people are planting the tree that they will be parking under, a straight grained species with good bending characteristics could be a wiser choice. Prune accordingly. Still, I suppose all bets could be off if the wind reaches above a certain velocity.

Where? Jillions of people park their cars under killer trees, all the time.
High winds from a hurricane coming and you have more room on the side of the house to park the stupid cars. DUMB. I saw the same thing in one while I was in MA. I offered a whole hazard free yard to park in to people, they refused and several parked right under trees where there were more options with out available... DUMB.. Sorry.. It just is.

Most folks don't really understand the power and damage that a hurricane can bring, unless they experience it themselves. Merely seeing it on the news is different. That pretty much goes for any natural disaster. It may not occur to be so mindful of where not to park your car.

People DO NOT look up. I'm forever pointing out tree hazards and am always amazed how surprised people are about the dangers above. :roll:

People DO NOT look up. I'm forever pointing out tree hazards and am always amazed how surprised people are about the dangers above. :roll:
Another example Jack is a "America's Funniest Video" I saw at a recent training course. This guy was falling a tree and it flattened his buddy to the ground, the response from the TV audience was laughter......I couldn't stand watching it.

If I could find that video......I'd post it here.

We basically got about 6 inches of rain and some winds up to about 60mph, very little damage here,
but I hear there are badly hit areas in Cecil and Harford County, Maryland and up into PA, and real devastation in NJ, and NY.

One top fell out of a dead oak tree right down the street from me, and effectively blocked the walking trail.
Ironically it is the same tree I brought to the attention of the City and the adjacent homeowner a while ago.
They have been fighting over who owns the tree and the survey had tentatively been scheduled for this past Monday.
I cut it up and threw half the debris on the lawn of the homeowner and the other half alongside the City's trail... a bit of King Solomon/sarcasm on my part, I guess.
Told them to work out who owns it and I'd take the rest of it down for a price.

Just finished loading up tools, chipper, and twelve large fuel cans in the back of the chip truck and the young sorts are leaving soon for Monmouth County, New Jersey.
Ryan grew up there and his relatives are in a very heavily hit area. His brother sent him a pic of a half mile long gas line at the one station open in that half of the county. In the pic were five bucket trucks.
Said they were limiting purchases to 15 gallons! I had them take my generator for Ryan's grandmother who may not have electric for one to three weeks according to the line crew.
I am doing estimates on fairly minor damage in our area today and reassuring current jobs that we will get to them as soon as the crew is back in Delaware.

Be safe out there.

Back