Running

Is that because of the heat or are the folks that live around you always house bound? Are you considered the crazy guy that walks outside everyday?!!!

I don't know what people think of me, I rarely see any.

I imagine the heat has a lot to do with it, but it was a nice day today.

You got the world to yourself, MB.

Chris, good luck! I googled it, you are going to be seeing some world class wilderness scenery, wow! Are you going to have a pacer?

Yes. In the 100 mile races I try to have 3 people pace me. That way they each get to experience 15-20 miles and it has always resulted in them running an ultra marathon of their own later. As a pacer, it opens up your eyes as to what is possible if you want something bad enough. Running a marathon or 50 miler makes me tired and I'm always glad that I don't have to run any further that day. On race day with 100 miles in front of me .... my mind shifts into a whole other dimension of what is possible. Good stuff indeed!!! :)

All I can say is, wow.

You gonna take any days off before or after the race?

It's amazing how I walk through miles of neighborhoods and hardly ever see anyone out and about. Everyone's indoors, all the time.

I used to take the dogs for a long run on christmas eve.
The whole world would be empty of people, we could run in the middle of the road.
And see everybody at their x-mas dinner through the windows of the houses we passed.

Chris, are you ready for the race??8) Do you "taper" or just do your normal 16 miles this weekend?

local runner completed 140 miles in 24hrs....us womens won gold in poland race.....400 plus combined. Ann Lunblad is core.....so is her husband Mark

Chris, are you ready for the race??8) Do you "taper" or just do your normal 16 miles this weekend?

I ran my normal 16 yesterday and will do it again next weekend. The race is on the 28th. My mind is ready for the journey.;)

I started running again about a month ago.......first time hurt like hell. I m up to two hours now.........ran out of excuses since mtns to sea trail is so close.
I find that motivating to start any kind of exercise is the crux.....once started it aint bad. After six months of weights/riding/running /climbing Ive lost 15 lbs and back feels better then ever...............sure does cut down on my internet time though

running hills is slower......2hr is around 8/9 miles......4 up and 4 back......shit, running downhll can be slow too.

Interesting thoughts:

There’s Seemingly No Good Reason to Run a Hundred Miles

“Perhaps the genius of ultrarunning is its supreme lack of utility. It makes no sense in a world of space ships and supercomputers to run vast distances on foot. There is no money in it and no fame, frequently not even the approval of peers. But as poets, apostles and philosophers have insisted from the dawn of time, there is more to life than logic and common sense. The ultra runners know this instinctively. And they know something else that is lost on the sedentary. They understand, perhaps better than anyone, that the doors to the spirit will swing open with physical effort. In running such long and taxing distances they answer a call from the deepest realms of their being — a call that asks who they are …”
- David Blaikie

The hundo isn’t about developing a logically useful skill. It’s about the inward journey that can only be completed when confronted with a seemingly insurmountable task riddled with unpredictable challenges. Hundreds tax you physically and mentally in a way that is impossible to replicate in our daily lives. Having the courage to face these obstacles is reason enough to make the journey.

I recently started running, and I'm finding it tough. I bought an iphone app (couch to 5k)to help with the training, and this time round I've stuck to the program. It tells me when to run, when to walk etc.

So far I'm running every other day for about 35 minutes, and covering about 10 miles a week. I am not a natural runner:(

there is some running technique which involves run for 5 minutes and walk 1min...............aint tried. I gotta run with a goal in mind...get to the top of that next hill.....

I always hated running. I could shoulder a heavy pack and walk most men into the ground over any terrain, but running hurt and was boring. Of course, now I'm learning to walk again, so those days are past.

Spent4 40 minutes on the hotel treadmill last night. Figured I should start training for next weekend 5k. Last training was a month ago, for actuality running. 11 mountain miles of hiking with little D at 6000 feet in Yosemite counts for something, though.

Spent4 40 minutes on the hotel treadmill last night. Figured I should start training for next weekend 5k. Last training was a month ago, for actuality running. 11 mountain miles of hiking with little D at 6000 feet in Yosemite counts for something, though.

Nice!! For last minute cramming before a race if you haven't been training, I have always heard that 20-30 minute runs each day (within 2 weeks of the race) is the most beneficial for race day. ?????

I'll try that, starting tomorrow.

First, last, and only race that I've run was an 8 person, 80 mile River to River relay (Illinois to Ohio rivers in So. IL), 3x 3.3 miles, for which I only trained two weeks, and it had more hills, but that was 6 years ago, when I was only 33.

I've got to finish Born to Run this week. Good inspiration.

5K is nothing compared to you guys!!!!

Well, I didn't get my running in yet today 926pm, but might. I could use it. Not so hot on the homefront tonight.

I think that my sorest muscles from running the other day are my radiobrachialis (...brachiailises...brachiali...brachialii??), the muscles that does a lot for flexing at the elbow from the radius to the lower humerus, IIRC. Funny, that. Not used to chugging those arms along as much as my legs, I guess.

Back