Running

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pics from my latest tri. I swam without a wetsuit for the first time in a race and took almost five mins off of my swim time. I was kicking ass in the bike until I got a flat...caused me to lose about ten mins and really threw off my game plan. I had fun and learned a few things so it was a win win.

Attachments

• Ironman_3.jpg
    Ironman_3.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 22
I ran a long race up in Oregon this past weekend. It was a 100k race but there was a small fire on the course so we ended up running 3 miles extra (65 miles total). 11 thousand feet of climbing and 11 thousand feet of downhill. Almost entirely single track trail running through the woods. I'm a back of the packer and it took me just under 19 hours to complete. Next month I am doing a 106 mile race. I run once a week for training. Tree work makes one "strong like bull"!!!!!

Wow, I think that is awesome!! There's not much better on earth than trail running imo.

So do tell how you can run that far on one run per week training, and doing tree work. Seriously.

To be able to run a 100 miles through the woods, that totally blows my mind.

I've got a funky knee, I can probably run about a mile, I'm trying to slowly build up, I should be able to do the hundo when I'm .....

I have run all of my life. When I was in fifth grade I was able to run 20 miles in a day. In high school I ran many marathons (sub 3 hours) and ran my first 50 mile race. I have always just really enjoyed being out in the woods covering as much terrain as possible in the most efficient way possible. I have never been gifted physically to run at an elite level. My mind is my gift. It is a problem solver and for the most part is very positive. I constantly remind myself that this is a choice to run that far and an unbelievable opportunity to experience a journey in the mind that many folks don't get or don't choose to get. As for my training, I run to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back out as my once a week run. Summer time temps are 115 degrees sometimes and the 5000 feet of downhill running will turn you into an ox. Running those distances is about 85% mental and 15% physical in my opinion. I have run the 100 mile distance 6 times and my next big race at the end of September is 106 miles.

Wow. That was a very informative, detailed, well written reply, thank you! You covered it all in one paragraph. The only thing I would add is that if you could run 20m in 5th grade, and have run sub 3hr marathons, I would argue that you are absolutely gifted8). I would dare say also that you are one heavily-into-nature dude, what with running the GC 1/week and doing tree work for a living.:D

May I ask what your views are on the minimalist trend, and how does the strenuousness of tree work affect your training/energy levels?

Good luck in you upcoming 106 miler, what's the name of the race?

Wow. That was a very informative, detailed, well written reply, thank you! You covered it all in one paragraph. The only thing I would add is that if you could run 20m in 5th grade, and have run sub 3hr marathons, I would argue that you are absolutely gifted8). I would dare say also that you are one heavily-into-nature dude, what with running the GC 1/week and doing tree work for a living.:D

May I ask what your views are on the minimalist trend, and how does the strenuousness of tree work affect your training/energy levels?

Good luck in you upcoming 106 miler, what's the name of the race?

I am personally not a minimalist fan. If your bones and joints are genetically superior, then it might work for some. I think that everybody just read the Born to Run book and went minimal. Walking on the beach barefoot or around town in the toe shoes does strengthen your lower legs and feet but adding the stress of running is asking for injury for a lot of people. Not everybody.

Regarding the tree work and my training/energy levels I can only muster a yoga class after work and bids. This is the reason why I only run once a week. I like to completely rest on Saturdays and then run on Sunday. I do a lot of tech Ponderosa Pine removals so I am in my spikes everyday. This puts quite a bit of lateral pressure on the knees and the yoga seems to really help balance the body.

What are your thoughts on the minimal trend?

That's cool with the yoga, I should check that out. You go to a class or do it on your own?

I like the barefoot thing for hiking in the woods, definitely strengthens the feet and lower legs. Since I barely run I can't really comment on that aspect but I do sense that for me it would be better on the bod overall than shod running. But I think it gives you more exercise per unit traveled so you might not be able to run as far cuz you are working harder absorbing shock with the whole body instead of mostly the knees.

How far is that GC training run? Damn that must be an amazing trail to run. I was in the Swiss alps hiking a few weeks ago, about 1/2 of it barefoot. It was a straight up drug high hiking up in those mountains, glaciers everywhere, the Materhorn and other peaks soaring, just incredible. Hiked hard for about 9 hours and I was shot! Running for 19 hours?? Hmm, that's just a wee bit of a different level, hard to imagine that. I suppose you worked on the following Monday? Ida been on an IV, lol!

Yeah do tell us more onthe grandcanyon run. I wish I had something remotely close to that to take a stroll in!

The trail I normally take is the Bright Angel on the South Rim. You hit the Colorado River after just shy of 8 miles (about 5 thousand feet down). 16 mile round trip is my normal once a week run. I have gone to the river and back around 130 times so far. To run to the other side and back (Rim to Rim to Rim) is 47 miles round trip if you go down the Bright Angel and then up the North Kaibab Trail and return the same way. I usually add a 3 mile out and back on Plateau Point to make it an even 50 miler. I have done the double crossing 10 times now. I go by myself and have done it in all 4 seasons. 118 degrees in the summer as well as below freezing in the winter in 4 feet of snow at the top of the North Rim. In all seriousness....Grand Canyon is my Higher Power. It is magic!

126ebmc.jpg

No doubt the Grand Canyon is magic! Sounds like you live in paradise and make the most of it.

Yes, the Alps were amazing. If you like nature and mountains, you will love that place. Being a life time East coaster, when I see snow and glaciers in the mountains in the middle of summer, it just freaks me out, in a good way. I've been to Colorado 3 times, and those mountains just call to me8)

Good luck in the 106 miler, what's the name of it? That is amazing that you do 50 and 100 milers off of 16 mile training runs, I guess tree work Does make you strong like bull:lol:

My race is September 28th. 10 am start with 36 hours to finish. The race is called Mogollon Monster 100. I will give you a race report when I wake up from my coma afterwards!!! Thanks for asking.

Back