Rule Number One (Climber Down)

That's 2 guys last week that fell due to basal tie, other dude dropped a piece of wood on his and cut the rope. I have never used them other than for ascent

Very sad to hear about this accident. But it is not simply a base tie problem and to focus on that is not going to make our jobs safer. I can site literally hundreds of cases where cilmbers have cut themselves out of trees while on DdRT. No down rope there, everything right in front of them. I use a basal tie 99% of the time and have never felt safer.

Working a tree safely is a relative thing and mistakes in planning or execution can have life altering results.

Dave, I think you hit the nail on the head. The base-tie being cut by the falling wood is a different thing, and mitigate-able. Still, its about being aware of your whole system and site, and adjusting to every new situation.

A benefit of being the boss, sometimes, is setting the safety level. If I don't 'feel it' one day, its easy for me to change gears, maybe not climbing another tough tree. If I don't think I'm as aware as I need to be, its easy for me to meet with the foreman (in my head), and adjust.

I'll be in on the raffle.

Hope he makes a good recovery.

A concern about a base-tie that is not often noted, is that the down-strand can catch a limb like a 'natural-crotch speedline' and send it into the Basal-tie. Again, Situational awareness. A spiral wrap on the down-strand can help to avoid the gap that can catch a falling tree part. I'll post this into the SRT thread, so as not to derail.

Terrible accident. Wish I could help out, but with Terri recovering from cancer we're a little strapped right now. Sounds like our brother of the trees will live, but not at the capacity he was given. Shame.

Remember how you found the TreeHouse, brother?

;)

It's all good. This is one of the first times I've been able to help out... in the past, I was just too strapped.

Help when you can... that's all a person can do! :beer:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Money isn't everything. Since he's gonna be laid up a bit, I bet he'd love one of your books Ger.
I'm heading to see him tomorrow. I guess he is in an inclined position and had a few visitors today.

I agree that a basal tie can be safe, it's the second tie in that is crucial no matter what system you use.

Unfortunately, no. He picked up a side gig and they wanted it done before a child's birthday party. I'm not sure if he was rushing or not, but that is always a factor.

Sucks.....any idea if he has health insurance? Those bills are gonna add up

I think there will be some revived enthusiasm when the raffle gets started I a day or two. His bills will be huge! The paperwork for Medicare/caid and SS disability is already submitted as I know it.

image.jpg

Been watching this thread since it started and still can't think of anything of worth to add. Really glad to hear the guy is still alive. glad I can afford to chip in. The srt base tie thing, climbers gotta remind themselves it's there....more so when its the other side of trunk out of sight. Mishaps are still gonna happen though, somewhere to someone in the moment. I just think before that moment, in front of the one or two tie in issue, whichever you agree with, a guy should always have insurance. Side jobs, cash, favors for friends etc with no cover....not worth the risk as is sadly proven here. Terrible business....pray that the guy makes some sort if recovery.

Raffle time! Here's how its gonna work guys. $10 for one ticket, $30 for 4 tickets, and $50 for 5 plus a ticket into the extras drawing. If you've already donated on the gofundme page, please mssg me your contact information. You will be added to the raffle for your generous donation. For everyone else looking to donate, there are three ways. Either donate on the GoFundMe page (http://www.gofundme.com/SupportJimmyMCA) and BE SURE to msg me your contact info. Or, if you prefer paypal, send it too me at rangerdanger@twc.com. I'll get it transferred over to Jimmy. Finally, if you prefer snail mail, you're more then welcome to msg me asking for my address and I'll supply it and you can mail checks in that way.

Again, and I can't stress this enough. MESSAGE ME YOUR CONTACT INFORMATION!!!! If your name is pulled and I can't figure out a way to contact you, we will pull another name. So whether its Facebook, Email, Phone, whatever, give me something to contact you by so we can notify you if you win.

Prizes:

3/4” large ABR thimble saver, 5’ long
5/8” 15’ long dead eye sling

150’ climb line with tight eye
30” HRC Hitch Cord
24” Super Smooth Friction Saver

14’ long CE style lanyard with 26” HRC hitch cord and DMM hardware
25’ basal anchor sling with CT rigging plate

5’ adjustable friction saver with DMM rings
28” HRC Hitch Cord

9/16” small ABR thimble saver, 3’ long
1/2” 2’-5’ adjustable loopie

Other Prizes

Matt Cornell Rope Saddle

$150 TreeStuff Gift Certificate

$50 TreeStuff Gift Certificate and Petzl Vertex Best Helmet

Hitch Hiker 2 and Sidewinder

SAKA Knee Ascender

donation sent. If I win anything in the raffle you can donate that to the cause also. Yes even the Matt Cornell Rope Saddle.

Back