Raccoon removal...

• Thread starter Hobby Climber
  • Start date
  • Replies 84
  • Views 10K
H

Hobby Climber

Here's a new one for ya. The other day a past customer had me do some dead limbing on the peoperty. Once finished, she asked me if I'd be interested in getting rid of a raccoon living in her tree.

I suggested live catch box traps set at base of tree. She said they tryed that before and cought several cats. They stopped after they got a skunk. She tells me they called a few pest control places but they wanted way to much money: $150 to set the trap, $100 for an adult and $50 for each young raccoon caught & relocated.

The customer was dead set on haveing them gone and asked if I would set a live catch trap in the tree!

I told her I've never done this before but would give it a try. So for $100, (and I keep the new trap), I'll climb this big old oak tree and set a trap. I've figured out a way to release the trap from its anchored position in the tree and lower it to the ground from the ground safely.

Its maybe a 25' climb so no big deal on my part.

Just wondering if any of you guys ever had an odd request such as this before???

Bob

I trapped a bunch of ground squirrels for a customer before. No racoons. Sounds intresting.

I've had success live trapping raccoons on the ground .Never needed to set a trap in a tree . Old 'brer coon gets a tad testy once you get him in a trap .

I've had to remove a few Magpie nests from schools. They dive bomb the kids sometimes, anyone really during nesting season.

Only ever happened to me once. I parked my truck under their tree. #-o

magpie.jpg

No tree animal removals/trappings. I have trapped flying squirrels in my attic...12 one year.

Get some pictures of the setup...I would like to see how you do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I also suggested to the customer that the coons will leave once the young ones are old enough. She's concerned for her kids & that they may try to pick one up if given the chance. Besides, I was told that if I wouldn't do it, she'd find someone that would! What the heck, its her money so who am I to argue.

I'll try to remember to bring my camera & take pics of the instal & with any luck, captured raccoon!

Its very windy right now so I might have to wait to instal it later in the day today or on Sunday.

I'll keep you posted.

Bob

About the only time a raccoon will get aggressive is if they have young . During that time the momma coon has kind of a cooing sound she emits .This is the only time she does that . If you hear that sound chances are the youngsters are close at hand . Just don't get between her and the kids ,you'll be fine .

This far north I imagine it will be towards the end of the month before the little ones get very active . They are the most comical little inquisitive rascals to watch .:)

sneaky racoon

In 1982 I had to remove a large deodar cedar in clairmont,ca.The tree was about 70' and at the time I was just starting out.No climbing gear no saw lanyard. Just an Eg beaver and crazy gutz.Tree was alive but hard to tell since it was completely covered in ivy.I climbed right to the top and my dad says come down about a third of the way and drop the top in the road.Did just that and as soon as the top hit he ground a racoon jumps out turns and cusses us out standing on his hind leggs and runs off.I definitely climbed right by him and didnt see chit! scary big amimul

Attachments

• 42-17339132[1].jpg
    42-17339132[1].jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 124
This guy wasn't a bit happy with things .I gave him a banana to eat then relocated him .

Attachments

• _0008.jpg
    _0008.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 130
She's concerned for her kids & that they may try to pick one up if given the chance

stupid mom, stupid kids. I would like to see that 'ol coon chase them all into the house!
:)

stupid mom, stupid kids. I would like to see that 'ol coon chase them all into the house!
:)
-------------------

I agree Frans but again, its her money!

Al, thats the same modle trap I'll be using.

Bodean, can you tell us more about that funny pic?

Racoons would sometimes run on the roof of my Parent's house in the middle of the night. Wake you right up.

Raccoons are very adaptable.Things like urban sprawl don't really affect them .

Being omnivorous they will eat just about anything . They are also opportunists ,kind of like the bears in Yellowstone park they can become a nuisance ,raiding garbage cans and gardens .Smart too,they can get into about anything short of Ft Knox .Given enough time they could figure out that also I think .

People have tried with little success in keeping a young one as a pet .They can be quite amusing but in time mother nature wins out because they are a wild animal and when they become mature the over powering urges of the wild will win out .

Be CAREFUL !! I'v seen some of Coon behavoirs up close and personal .... as cute as they are they are mean sonsofbitches in the tree .... also Rabies hazard pay should exceed 100 bucks .... for a 100 beans I'd use the Crossman Pump with pellets ....

If you are going to woof one out of a tree ,don't play patty cake with a pellet gun .All that will do is pizz him off .

My wife thought she would shoo one out of her flowers with her trusty broom .That didn't work out well for her .:lol: Big un ,twenty some pounder .She's lucky that big old boar didn't shove that broom where the sun don't shine .City girls have to learn too ya know .;)

They can be really hard to keep out of the garbage too. A friend of mine in Aptos had to put a bungee through the handle of the lid to keep them from opening it.

I would love to have a coon living in a tree next to my house. I would have a monthly climbing jamboree....just me and him! Seriously though, raccoons fascinate me. They are more complex than most folks realize.

Here's some pics of the trap installed on a limb below the hole where the raccoons are at. I'm using marshmellows as bait.

I secured the trap to the limb with a tie-down. One end attached to the trap itself and the other end to a quick release gizmo, (lanyard release system) I made up a while back.

How this works is, you pull the Zing-it cord and it releases the gizmo thus releasing the trap from the limb. That cheep yellow nylon rope is tied to the top of the trap, then goes up & over a limb to allow me to lower the trap later from the ground.

Both lines are secured to the trunk of the tree well out of reach of the customers children. I'll be checking it each day to see I cought something.

Again, I know this is very odd but for $100...what the heck, eh!!!

Bob

Attachments

• IMG_0776.JPG
    IMG_0776.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0781.JPG
    IMG_0781.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0778.JPG
    IMG_0778.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0780.JPG
    IMG_0780.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0782.JPG
    IMG_0782.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0777.JPG
    IMG_0777.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
I like your setup, bet you'll have a coon real soon.

Your quick release gizmo looks interesting, too...maybe post up some info on it sometime, too?

Back