Raccoon removal...

• Thread starter Hobby Climber
  • Start date
  • Replies 84
  • Views 10K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Your quick release gizmo looks interesting, too...maybe post up some info on it sometime, too?

------------------

Don't know if you remember Gary but back at the old AS site & then over here some years ago, I came up with an "Emergency Lanyard Release System". The one I'm using is part of an original prototype that Butch himself was kind enough to try out for me.

I had made this system long before I began designing Rope Bags.

Instead of a pull corde with handle, I just used a length of Zing-It line on the trap setup.

Here's a pic of the original release installed on my saddle.

Bob

Attachments

• 3 ring thing 019.jpg
    3 ring thing 019.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 91
Let us know when you get him. I wonder if he'll go for it right away, or maybe take a few days before he trusts the trap enough to go for the bait.

Where will you relocate him to?

This trap in a tree thing is all new to me. I'll try to take a vid w/camera takeing any raccoon thats cought down to the ground from the ground.

If I'm lucky to get one, it'll be release around the River Canard River Vally area. Should feel right at home there!

Bob

Don't know if you remember Gary but back at the old AS site & then over here some years ago, I came up with an "Emergency Lanyard Release System". The one I'm using is part of an original prototype that Butch himself was kind enough to try out for me.

Bob

I do remember, now...thanks. It's a great idea.

I've had to remove a few Magpie nests from schools. They dive bomb the kids sometimes, anyone really during nesting season.

Only ever happened to me once. I parked my truck under their tree. #-o

magpie.jpg

I hear those aussie magpies are vicious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAlDoyCrteE

I have been dive bombed by a couple crows once, I walked under the tree they had a nest in. Around here you can see crows, eagles and ravens mixing it up in the air once in a while, usually the crows are the aggressors.

Update:

I checked on the trap today and the door was shut...but no raccoon, :(.

All the marshmellows are gone & it looks like the little buggers were playing on top of it.

I'll try something new this time. Instead of baitting at the end of the trap with m-mellows, I placed them under the trip-plate inside the trap.

Figure they will have to go inside to pull them out and once the last mellow is removed, the plate should trip the door shut. Sounds good in theory but time will tell.

HC

Last winter I had a cat that kept climbing up under the cover into my boat in the carport. I borrowed a similar trap and set it out behind the boat with an empty (but unrinsed) tuna fish can in it. The next morning I noticed the cat in the trap but I was late for work. I might have forgotten about him for a day or so. :/:
Anyway, I didn't have the heart to hurt him so I let him go after a day in the trap. He hasn't been back in my carport since.

Raccoons 2, HC Zero!

Well, the coons are winning! Did a drive by in the morning and the trap was closed & mellows gone...AGAIN!!!:X

Gonna have to rethink the set up.

I see the customer has a garden shead so maybe I'll place the trap on its roof. Cats don't eat marshmellows & I don't think a skunk would climb up there. (Accessable from wooden fence by a coon). Also out of reach of kids, ;).

Worth a shot since the trap in the tree thing isn't working!

HC

Maybe it is working and they know enough to keep the entrance blocked open so they don't get caught behind the door?

I'm starting to wonder if its simply a very large mama coon thats too big for the trap. Some can grow to be very large.

Likely just a very smart critter playing with me!

HC

...... I think it's the bait ... it's too user friendly , grab n' go thats why they have bandit masks (I wear the same one for bids) .... anyways I think you need something that will fall apart be less transportable , maybe trigger some eating and paw licking while the trap door shuts .... maybe some kinda fish ... DAVE

...... I think it's the bait ... it's too user friendly , grab n' go thats why they have bandit masks (I wear the same one for bids) .... anyways I think you need something that will fall apart be less transportable , maybe trigger some eating and paw licking while the trap door shuts .... maybe some kinda fish ... DAVE

Wire or tie it down to the trip plate, so the coon has to worry at it to get it loose.

I'd be tying it down all the way in the far end of the cage. The coon is obviously still partially out of the trap when it trips so he can back out under the door. If he has to go all the way to the far end of the cage to get the bait then he's less likely to be able to keep the door propped open when he trips the latch.

Try this -
Cut off the bottom one-fourth to one-third of a soda can. You can bend the sharp edge in to make it easier to handle and to increase its strength if you like.
BaitHoles-751822.jpg

Poke two holes in the can bottom, opposite one another.

Flip the can over so the bottom is up - the opening in down.
Fill the little "cup" on the bottom of the can with peanut butter, and wire the can bottom to the cage with any old wire you have lying around. Thread the wire through the two holes.

BaitedTrap-700323.jpg

This gives a large yummy-smelling peanut-buttery surface to attract the raccoon. Also wiring it in place is important because raccoons will barely enter the trap and reach as far as they can with their little "hands" and grab the bait and run away with it if it is not wired down. They can do this without tripping the trap mechanism.

Raccoon may have wone a few battles but I won the war!

Got a call around 7:30am this morning letting me know that there is a raccoon in the trap! Not bad for only three day effort. Just got home from letting it go. Sorry no pic...its raining & I have a cheap camera.

Wasn't a big one, just average but I see it has a very long reach. Little bugger still managed to eat all eight marshmellows I set out for him.

Get this, now the customer wants me to toss an amonia(sp) soaked rage down the hole to keep others coons from venturing inside. I think I'll get paid first!

HC

Coons aren't that bad .Try dealing with squirrels some time .

Those little rascals would store their nuts in the clutch housing and exhaust stack of my dozer .Come spring when I started it nuts went flying like machine gun bullets . I ran for my life .:O:lol:

...and Bazukas, don't forget the squirrles that use bazukas!!! :P

HC

Attachments

• Squirrl locked & loaded.jpg
    Squirrl locked & loaded.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 91
Back