Powerlines

That's an idea. What if I started a thread about my career. That way yall could see and I have a record for myself and of Where I came from. Lol. Would that be acceptable?

I think, once I wake (I'm just now getting ready to leave work to go home), that today I'm going call another local tree service about a job.

:rockon:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So far I've called one who wasn't interested, all they are hiring is drivers with a cdl license, which seems to be a common desire. And I've left one voicemail with another. I always forget how nervous I get when I'm getting ready to call people I don't know. It scares me more than rock'n a spar lo. (Which doesn't really scare me. It's like a roller coaster ride.) It's werid what makes different people nervous.

So I also just got off the phone with my wife's papaw who has been in the excavation buisness for many many years and know hust about everyone in our area and he told me that he may have found me another single tree removal job. If it's something I'm capable of, do you guys think I so do it. Do you think I should take on a "simple" job here and there even though I'm looking for/would be working for some other tree service?

Personally I would do it, but only after carefully examining the job, and weighing all the risks. I have insurance behind me, which is a BIG difference. Knowledge, skill, and tools mean nothing if things go wrong. Liability can get to be a very VERY sticky situation, even friends and family become litigious when liability, money, and property damage are involved. I did several tree removals before I changed my liability insurance to cover removals, but they all had no chance of causing property damage that I could see. So it all depends on you, your tools, your knowledge and skill, and the risks of that particular removal. If you plug all those factors in and get a green light, then I say Go For It! If your comfortable, carry on. If at any point you are not, take a breath or 4, re-examine the situation, and proceed with caution, do not let your pride make your decisions.

Ok cool. Thanks slinger.

Does using a throw Bag get easier when you have a real throw bag?

On which one Jed? Lol

I was givin' the thumbs up to both, Popper.

Yeah... You need a real throw bag, but try to stay away from them unless you're only pruning. Spurs, flipline, climb line.... should be all you need to ascend your removal work.

Yeah have those and thats what I use. I have some trees in my yard that are great trees but I dont want to remove or damage them. I'd actually like to put a permanent anchor point in some of them. I want use them s training trees. To build confidence and muscle.

If I can get my "throw ball" down I'll show yall what I'm working with.

I know I should wear a helmet Peter. The one I have has no face mask or chin strap. But I guess you're right. Something is better than Nothing.

MrPopper if you are going to be interested in interaction on this thread and journey I have a couple of questions for you.

One, is there some other way to address you? Perhaps a first name?

Second, in a couple of sentences what do you most want in the way of work?

Get a helmet, you don't want to learn that lesson the hard way!!
Treehouse members get a discount at treestuff.com
Love your spirit I feel the same way..

I was givin' the thumbs up to both, Popper.

Yeah... You need a real throw bag, but try to stay away from them unless you're only pruning. Spurs, flipline, climb line.... should be all you need to ascend your removal work.
In going to totally disagree with you Jed about the value of throw weights and lines. I saw a customer recently. Removed a small dead Madrone next to a green house, from the ground partially with a power pole saw because I could set rigging points and set running bowlines on pieces from the ground.

A high Tie-in point let's you limb walk and be supported from above while standing in spurs. Plus, you can use a ground-lowerable basal anchor.

My name is Josh. Nice to meet everyone.:)

Do you mean what type of work do I want? In that case, I want to do big tree work. Removals or pruning. I still need to learn the art of pruning but that's beside the point.
I know there are parts of the job that are less desirable but hey, nearly all of it is outdoor work which is what I'm built for. I don't just want to cut down every tree I can. I would much rather inprove the life and health of a tree. That's the part I still need to learn. I love the thrill of working up high. For some reason the struggle it is, is calming. I want to work with a team. Not just co workers.

I hope that answer was the type of answer you were looking for. If not I can keep talking. :D

That will work. Hello Josh, I'm Sam.

I'm with Sean. Master your throw line. You'll be able to set better, safer tie in points (TIP) which will let you work the whole tree with less overall effort.

Practice Practice Practice.

~cheers

So if you are doing a conifer, or other tree that is basically a pole, do still throw ball it or do you spur up to the first set of branches and free climb to the top to build a TIP? Lanyard ready to go of course.

Personally?

If you're goal is to set a TIP, set a TIP as easily as possible. Does it make more sense to elevate 200#, 80', or 20 ounces of weight and line?

Highest possible TIP on every climb for me, even with spurs, sometimes it's handy to be able to swing over and remove that odd branch that gently found it's way onto a roof top.

Back