Powerlines

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Should be public now. Sorry about that. First time ive uploaded to the YouTube. Lol

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FGNjBDcAIPQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yow!

You coulda been popped. Electrical lines rubbing against a trunk can definitely wear through the coating, setting up for a shock, or worse.

The 'service drops' to the residences are disconnected for tree work for free, generally, I believe. Here for sure, for single family homes. Commercial properties are different.

What is wrong with the trees?

The trees have limbs that endanger my home and the lines. We've had limbs fall on the house already.

Sean, now that I've been appropriately grilled and educated I realize how much danger I put myself in. I had no clue the lines could be so finicky.

We want to remove them for several reasons.
-the lines
-the limbs endangering the house
-they dump loads of needles in the gutter which over flows the gutter and the basement had water problems before, we don't want more.
-they shade the yard so much and cover it with needles so much that only weeds grow. We want grass. I'll be putting a hedge row (hopefully 6 foot high one day) to block out the neighors. The over grown underbrush looks like junk.

So can I just call our utility company and explain it to them. And they "should" come make it safe for me to work?

One of the service drops that's causing trouble is my neighbors'. I'm not sure how willing they will be to let me cut off their power for a few hours or or more.

Do they use protective temporary work sleeves to cover the service drops in your area? Might be an option if you are unable to convince the neighbour about taking the power off.

I'm not sure on insurance. Honestly I didn't know that was even considered some insurances.

The more and more I work on the trees, the more and more practical investing in a top handle saw is. I've been doing most of the work with a hand saw. Sometines I bring my big rear handle for big limbs. I really need something for the inbetween size. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to get one. I can't justify getting the lines down without one. Thats why I brought it up. The work would just take to long without.

NOBODY is going to make it safe for you to work. Its not safe work.

A 'line drop' occurs somewhere between 8-10a, typically, here. I need to be on the phone by 230 to have the 'reconnect' routed through Dispatch. Sometimes they arrive in 10 minutes, sometimes 6 hours. Last one was reconnected at 830, in the dark and cold.

I get in, bang out the power line related work, as fast as safe, and get the 'reconnect' call in.

Everybody has their own reasons. Many times people think the answer is cut 'em down. To each, their own. Maybe the wrong trees for the location.

I wouldn't be willing to have my power shut off while my neighbor slowly cut the trees down, figuring the way through it. No offense. I don't think that's reasonable.

I feel the same way. I wouldn't want my power turned off while the neighbor guy cut down the trees. I would like to have trees out in the yard. Just not ones that are 70 plus feet tall. And ones that may cause damage. We have lots of trees on our property. Its just these ones are huge and right next to the house and road.

Being huge and with all the electrical issues it sounds like a good chance for TARFU....maybe FUBAR.

These guys are steering you right...it's not worth getting hurt by power or big wood...you need outside help.

Using a power saw up in a tree is a whole 'nother learning curve...TIT rule and all that.

Avail yourself of good knowledge here and put it to work...sometimes putting good knowledge to work means realizing there may be a whole lot of stuff you don't know that can get you bad hurt if not dead.

You sound like a level headed guy not trying to be all macho but with good insight into reality. Keep us posted...we'll do what we can to help...and steer you right as we can from out here.

I do a fair bit of Put on Ground Only removals. I only need my loaded pick-up to do most of my work, barring disposal.

Barring obstacles below, a pro climber can put a 70', healthy, green pine down toot-sweet.

Watch a good pro. You will learn more than you can imagine.

They are easy. Just really sticky. My lanyard friction hitch kept locking up with sap. I'd like to get easy trees like pines to start.

I feel like if I go try and work for someone they will catch on that I want learn so I can work for myself. I mean, I get why. Finding a mentor won't be as easy as I thought it was going to be.

Back