Powerlines

Yea I agree it's nuts, a buddy up north does helicopter insulator changes, he said and showed me that process where they make the copter hot then de energize it once off the copter and on the pole leap frogging with a team of three.

I saw that job on a tv show once, Worlds Most Dangerous Jobs or some such. Absolutely crazy stuff

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
"Hi, my name is Josh Richards. I'm interested in getting into a career in tree work. I was wondering if you want to hire a relativley new climber?" Then I see what they say.everyone tells me they aren't hiring climbers right now. Most of them don't want a NEW climber. They want someone experienced. One woman was a little rude. Most are nice though. I am awkward on the phone which makes things worse.

I'd be up for doing a mock telephone interview. I get nervous calling strangers. I've never been good at selling myself.

My honest opinion is you would get a foot in the door as a groundsman much easier than a climber- its the natural starting point. Once you're on the crew you can then seize any opportunity to climb which may arise (such as small easy trees whilst the primary climber is dealing with a serious tree).

Kids have to do bus drills where they hop off, feet together, and hop away from the "electrified" bus with their feet together.
That's a good point Sean. If the ground becomes electrified, you can be electrocuted by just standing or running. If both feet are on the ground and any distance apart, it can create a difference of potential and a path through your body for those mean little electrons to flow. I can't remember the term for it but an apprentice on the crew here had his career ended when the pole they were setting in the hot line came in contact with the phase and the ground. He was several feet from the butt of the pole and had burns on the bottom of both feet. He lived but that burn path did bad things inside his body.

The paramedic that taught my first First Rrsponder Course in 1993 told us about hopping on one foot to get clear of an electified area...guess she knew what she was talking about.

We were taught the jump and then to shuffle out of the electrified area with feet together.

Also had to drill on how to lower a bucket from the ground with non-conductive pruners, lift unconscious body from bucket, etc.

"Hi, my name is Josh Richards. I'm interested in getting into a career in tree work. I was wondering if you want to hire a relativley new climber?" Then I see what they say.everyone tells me they aren't hiring climbers right now. Most of them don't want a NEW climber. They want someone experienced. One woman was a little rude. Most are nice though. I am awkward on the phone which makes things worse.

I'd be up for doing a mock telephone interview. I get nervous calling strangers. I've never been good at selling myself.

Apply as a groundman/brush dragger. If you get on a crew and prove yourself competent on the ground and then prove that you can run a saw skillfully on the ground then you will get a chance to climb.

And not to be offensive but if you've never worked as a production climber on an actual crew you're not a relatively new climber you're brand new. You tube/reading does not equal experience.

You're not going to get a job as a climber.

You have to build up to that.

Video tape yourself in the mirror and review. practice, practice, practice before calling. Calm your nerve. Put signs on the mirror and stand in front of it while calling. Put a sign on the mirror, "breath". have notes about your skill set, goals,

Maybe something more like, " Hello, I'm Josh Richards. I'm looking for entry level work on a tree crew, and am willing to do whatever it takes. Can I please speak to the appropriate person. I'm education myself on safe work practices and modern climbing techniques, and I know that I have a lot to learn to become a production climber, though I am working on that, too.

(Take a breath, speak slowly).

I'm hard-working, punctual, have a clean driving record (including x,y,z), a team player.

My ground worker skill set includes x,y, z. I'm learning, A, B, C. My goal is to then learn q,r, and s.

(take a breath)

I'm ready, willing, and able to give you X, Y, Z.

(Breathe)

I can send you a resume and references today.

Alternately, send out resumes with a cover letter saying that you'll call on Monday at 9am to follow up, unless there would be a more appropriate time.

Go rec climbing. Buy proper climbing gear. Work out. Strength and endurance, with efficiency go a long way. You will never have too much core-strength.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's like a well thought out mathmatical formula. I will definitely be trying this formula out.

I found when I started in this career which was quite late for most climbers over here was that it was a lot like fishing. I sent a lot of applications out and had a look at what I caught and as for what you can offer. All I said was this is what I have and what I can bring to your company. Do you have anything that you think I can bring to your table.
Also don't just think that they only want to know your tree background there are always other things that may get your foot in the door. Just remember if you can't sell yourself confidently then do they think you will work with confidence. The worst that can happen is they say no.
Keep trying sometimes the best jobs come from people who are not even advertising.
Good luck

My job doesn't pay as well as you would think. It"s a job you do because you love it not for money. I told my wife before we got married that if she was looking for a money man to make a differnt choice. I love it but I want to do phyiscal work too.

Honestly, I don't know how to make myself irresistible. You would think that with what I do now I'd be good at talking to strangers but I'm not all that great at. I don't understand what you guys mean by being able to get a job at any of these places. None of them seem to want me. I don't know why not.

Sorry I have been long in getting back to this Josh. If I ever want to do anything and need some help I look for help from someone who (CAN) do it. My first indication if a person (CAN) do it is if they say they can. (Don't try to get to outer space with the help of someone who says it can't be done or that it's dangerous going there. Start with someone who says they can.... )

After I see who can help me and decide I am going to use their advise, I do what they say to do.

Butch told you one way to be irresistible. I started to tell you another way. Wanna be resistable keep doing what your doing. You already promised you're bad on the phone, why would you persist in using it. Phones have just about no use in accomplishing tree work. (As a matter of fact if I knew you would leave your phone in the lunch box all day I would be more interested in hiring you.) Other than answering a phone call/returning a call your future employer in tree work has zero interest in you being good on a phone - or in using one himself.

'None of them seem to want you and you you don't know why not', I can tell you why not; because you haven't made yourself 'wantable.' You missed or ignored something I started to say about this point earlier in the thread. And you apparently have chosen not to employ Butches method which would give you the result even if you didn't understand the concept.

You are acting like this is hard, it is not. You have already successfully done it many times in life, you are just not realizing it at the moment.

Back