Ported Stihl MS880

Looks good, going to the bank to get a US money order, it will be sent off tomorrow. Thanks again buddy ol pal!

Damn! When that saw shrivels and whithers over in Alberta land you can always send it over for a running now and then!

Lol.

Nice saw.

Hey Brian: Do you like your 395? I got one with the big-bore jug in it about three months ago, and I really am not wild about mine. I'm pretty sure mine needs some work. I've only ported the cylinder on one saw in my life, and I'm a bit scared to wrench on this one. Any advice? Do you run a stock air-cleaner on yours?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I absolutely love it! I bought mine new and had Bryan Wright port it about 6-8 months later. I put fuel in it and beat the piss out of it and little else. The original air filter gets checked about once every six months and I can sometimes get a little dust out of it with the air nozzle. I'm only running a 32" bar on it so it's a lot easier to manipulate than the big MS880, and has plenty of torque for all but the biggest and hardest trees. Here's the last time I used the 880, removing this live oak over a busy road.

And I still have the 395 which rides on the truck full time. My torn bicep tendon (and now my right shoulder) prefers the smaller saws.

Hi Brian, I don't have nothing torn yet, but I'll stick with my mint Stihl 056 Mag with a 24" bar. Hard to start though, too much compression cuz its not broke in yet. Three 6" pulls & 1 full one & she kicks off. No drop starting this one. Gotta have her on the ground with the foot in the handle...

Rick I'll tell you a 5 dollar cure for an arm breaker .MS 460 rescue saw D handle .I've used others but have either broken them or they just plane don't work well .

A large powerfull saw in some applications is pleasure to operate but they aren't always a pleasure to start . Unfortunately I'm like about half the members of this forum with screwed up shoulders from a life time of abusing my body .What you do in your youth has a way of coming back to haunt you later in life .:(

Speaking of starting big saws, I need to post a warning for Craig if he's still following this thread. When you start that 880, you want to hold the decomp button down with your thumb while pulling the starter handle. Otherwise it will pop closed on the first engine revolution and the starter handle will come to a very abrupt stop. It hurts, a lot. This saw has a lot of compression.

Wonder what the compression reading would be? Some of the older saws had the compression button riding on a spring, you had to keep pressing them in when pulling on the starter. My 090G is that way.

Just picked me up a lil old package at the post office this evening. Thanks for the heads up Brian.

The saw made here no prob, just waiting on the bar now. She looks great! We have about 1.5 hours of bucking left on 2 large poplars that we removed today, so the 880 ported power head is gonna get a lil work out tomorrow morning with a 26 inch bar and chain off our stock 088.

I was just cleaning up around my bench and I found a plastic chain guide that fits in the side cover. Not sure if it's off the 880 or one of my other saws. Check under the cover before you put the bar on. There's 7 and 8 pin 404 pitch sprockets in the small box.

I wil give her a look over in the morning. Thanks again Brian.

Happy days for all :).

26 inch bar on an 880 :O? Crazy talk :lol:.

Oh those big saws like 16" to 21" too :lol: Just think of it as a vega or pinto with a big block in it.
I had 4 of the 084 at one time and 3 of them were ported. The 2 woods ported ones were on top of their game in small wood or 50" to 60" bar buried rip cutting hardwoods. I was told by new owners which own the longer bars.

20101054.jpg

084b.jpg

CopyofDN084013.jpg

Got the check today. Thank you Craig! :)
Be sure and tell us how she performed today in her inaugural debut.
snoopy.gif

Back