Poison Ivy Relief

We have a poisonous centipede. The sting isn't too serious, but they are slimy, and generally unpleasant to my mind. I had one crawl up my trousers once when I was laying down, noticed a funny sensation when it was about at my thigh, but no sting. It would have made the Guinness book for fast trouser removal.

Attachments

• 153559371_3d98be1421.jpg
    153559371_3d98be1421.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 9
Yuk Jay!!!
We have centipedes similar to that in Bermuda, a big one could potentially kill a small child, adults just get really bad.
I was housesitting, getting ready to go to bed when one aout 6"crawled over the end of the bed...I dashed it onto the tile floor and stunned it with a flip-flop then tossed it out the window onto the road.
Eeeuuughh, took me a couple hrs watching Ice Road Truckers to settle down enough to go to sleep

We just call them "stinging worms", though they're not worms, but caterpillars...I first encountered one up in a red oak about 25 years ago. I was climbing and as I put my arm around the trunk, my forearm came in contact with something that felt like a hot iron. It left a welt prolly 3" long on my arm. I now will take several steps out of my way to step on one. Gotta do my civic duty to protect my fellow man from such pain...:D

These are the type I'm referring to. Not sure if this is what y'all are talking about, though I assume it is.

dab496b5.jpg

I swear I keep getting poison ivy over and over again, just from using the same gear I used in poison ivy covered trees. What do you guys reccomend the best way to wash gear after getting poison ivy covered? Ive never had a need to wash my rope and saddle but I am half tempted to after the job I did saturday. What's the best way to go about washing rope & saddle?

If you're really worried try Technu. Great for after being in it and decent for gear as well. Personally I use Butch's technique.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Butchs technique comes from years of experience in the business. It's solid.

Great thread! I have my first ever bout of PI, just on my forearms, so have been using Calamine so far, seems to be doing the trick. Thanks to TH for this thread!

I use the drops too. No PI since I started using them. I went from being really allergic as a kid to not being allergic at all, to being a dumbass and ripping up a bunch by the roots in winter. After that if I looked at the stuff funny I got it. The drops and I are good friends now. :)

When I did get it for itch relief I would put it under the hottest water I could stand. I know that sounds nuts but under the hot water it itches so intensely you wanna punch something, then passes and you get a long relief.

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2005/10/18/hot-water-for-itches/

If I was right about the hot water treatment, then just maybe I'm right too about the laundry bleach and water mix. It's hard to get respect in this thread.

I have used the bleach method with great success. I have also read that it doesn't work and its a myth. My thoughts are that the beach is really bad for your skin and it drys it out so much that the effects of the PI diminishes.

My fault for not reading the whole thing. Yea, man, it's spot on. Years ago I remember being drunk trying to talk to some girl forever outside and I got like 80+ mosquito bites (she was sober and wearing bug spray, probably laughing too). That's when I started doing the hot water thing. I'll try the bleach mixture next time after the hot water. Probably a little less harsh than using gas... :)

I guess you couldn't call it so much a respect thing...just for lack of a better word. It's just that I get the ivy bad, and the half and half bleach mix has really helped me out. For sure the bleach dries it out, but at least with the water it doesn't burn you.

Back