over pruned valley oak??

BOTS

TreeHouser
YEP, LOL!

I remember driving by about a year and half ago, after it was just hacked, and was shocked how much they removed....can you believe it
I thought, Hmmm, how long will it last?

Drove by it a couple weeks ago and yep, there it is, its a fuel wood tree now..lol

Im putting in a bid on removing it...its at a local Church

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
lol, thats funny Butch...... it was dying when the got done pruning ;)

I see a lot of other issues with that tree. The pruning was just a small part of it.
Valley oaks are good compartmentalisers .... But, they do not take kind to grade changes, compaction, over watering, mistletoe...................

Valley oaks have full green leaves on them right now...this feral pig is done!

Its sad, this tree was nice and full, (wish i had a pic so you could see it before hack) just needed a deadwood and a very few green branches removed....they removed WAY to many

Arborphobia... A lot of targets there.

I doubt the prune was the cause... just maybe the final straw.....
Personally.. I would have it tested for poisoning as well.. See if someone had it in for it due to the liability surrounding it.

It didn't help that a parking lot was put there, even if it was a long time ago. When it was pruned before, is it possible that they pruned mostly deadwood? I just have a hard time believing it was in good health before pruning.

Arborphobia... A lot of targets there.

I doubt the prune was the cause... just maybe the final straw.....
Personally.. I would have it tested for poisoning as well.. See if someone had it in for it due to the liability surrounding it.

does it really matter though? Poisoned or not, it still gets chipped. Not like there will be fingerprints on the bark!

It didn't help that a parking lot was put there, even if it was a long time ago. When it was pruned before, is it possible that they pruned mostly deadwood? I just have a hard time believing it was in good health before pruning.

Believe me, it was over pruned....this tree was nice and full like most of the valley oaks in my area.
A valley oak is also called a "weeping oak" the bottom tip branches will come down and touch the ground on a mature ones...

As a last ditch effort, I think i would cut the right side off at the base. Looking quite forlorn there in it's current state. Looks beyond repair.

Ive never seen a bad prune job kill a tree that fast. Ive seen many hard core topped trees last a long time after being butchered. I don't believe the pruning was the only culprit. That may have been the final straw if the tree was stressed over other factors. I would have expected that tree to sucker out hard after that prune job. Something else was certainly wrong.

I do agree that other factors were there as well, over prune just sent it home

Back