Nitrile or latex coated gloves...discuss.

SouthSoundTree-

TreeHouser
I worked with another owner operator on these recent 3 cottonwoods. the guy said nitrile gloves all the way. I've been an Atlas blue and grey latex gripper gloves man for years.

Nitrile is somewhat more abrasion resistant and provide even more touch sensitivity that latex, inme. Cost more, but not a lot. Are not as warm, of the variety I've used anyway...very thin. I like them.

Atlas 370 is the brand and model I have liked.

Have always used the Atlas Fit 300 but might get some Atlas 370 PalmTech nitrile gloves in my next Treestuff order.

A new pair of Atlas Fit 300 come out every couple of weeks as the old ones start losing their grip for the SRT work. Seem to have 5 or more pair of old gloves floating around which I'll use for the non-SRT stuff until there are holes in the finger tips.

I like nitrile in summer for saw handling, running ropes, but not for climbing they tend to be a little slick. Atlas blue or wonder gloves for climbing in summer. Atlas grey for winter and I just picked up a dozen of this brand made in Japan great grip and very warm but not durable at all they last about half a week as far as the rubber coating goes. For heavy/fast rope running I like the Petzl belay gloves, pig skin I think.

Nitrile until it gets to cold. Then Atlas blue or gray thermal. Then leather when it's to cold for a fabric glove.

With the Atlas therma fit I get the the next size bigger and wear a thin polypro liner under them nice and toasty on the coldest of days.

...Atlas 370 is the brand and model I have liked.

Same here, Burham. Good grip and dexterity and they last longer than the blue latex. The only thing that will keep my hands reliably warm in winter work is holding them next to the running chipper muffler.

Tried all of those .....seems they always get jammed into hitch. Mostly don't wear gloves till it gets cold. Then I use some cheap north face bamboo glove liners inside a xxl leather glove.

I have only used latex gloves. I buy them in bulk form different online sources. We get them for about $1 a pair and we normally get 4 dozen pair at a time. They seem to last the same as wonder gloves but we toss them faster because we have so many.

I like nitrile in summer for saw handling, running ropes, but not for climbing they tend to be a little slick. Atlas blue or wonder gloves for climbing in summer. Atlas grey for winter ...

This matches my experience and preferences.

I'm loving these for the last few months.http://www.wondergrip.net/#!wg-318/c1qxw
Very very grippy but also sweaty as they are 100% waterproof. This is important to me when its cold as my hands are knackered from white finger. Cold and wet hands mean lots of pain when the circulation start to return for me:'(

Tried all of those .....seems they always get jammed into hitch. Mostly don't wear gloves till it gets cold. Then I use some cheap north face bamboo glove liners inside a xxl leather glove.

Where and how you grip the hitch is key to keeping gloves out of them. You have to pay attention, but it becomes second nature if you focus on the placement for a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This matches my experience and preferences.

I can see this.

I climb most of the time, so I like the grip. I never exclusively do ground work.

Nitrile don't seem to add 'grip strength' like latex. I feel like I exert a lot less force handling things with latex gloves. Nitrile might be good for hand protection in terms of scrapes.

I found some Nitrile gloves at the local nut and bolt shop...they seemed a bit stickier than the normal kind which are inevitably too slick. They worked pretty well and are cheaper than the Atlas grippys sold in the hardware store ($11 each in Oz for Atlas, $3 for the nitrile). If I cand find them I'll post what brand they are.
I usually order four or five pairs of Atlas grippys from TreeStuff with each order, they last about a month a pair. The sticky nitrile last at least as long if not a wee bit longer.

Only down side of the sticky nitrile is they are black and I end up with white hands and brown arms...not the fashion statement I like to make when not working...it's a girl thing I guess :)

The other thing about nitrile is I find they slip off my hands more easily, the Atlas are a cotton elastic base, so they hang on to my hands better.

I'm loving these for the last few months.http://www.wondergrip.net/#!wg-318/c1qxw
Very very grippy but also sweaty as they are 100% waterproof. This is important to me when its cold as my hands are knackered from white finger. Cold and wet hands mean lots of pain when the circulation start to return for me:'(

Blue, do you have a link on where to buy these in the UK pls? Couldn't seem to find one on the link you posted.

Blue, do you have a link on where to buy these in the UK pls? Couldn't seem to find one on the link you posted.
Ummm in a word, no. I get them from a local saw shop, pay 4quid a pair. I did google them but could only find them at a few eBay stores and they were nearly £7 a pair. There is a thermal version as well but couldn't find anyone who sells them:'(

I guess we could call this a glove thread! I've tried loads but keep coming back to good old soft leather, rancher/cowboy style. Let my hands breathe. Ruined after a day in the wet, but at a fiver a pop it's no tradgedy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
To get a month out of gloves. Sometimes its less than a day, but I do self-lower a lot, natural crotch or belay spool. At most, I'll suspect that I get a week out of a pair of atlas gloves. Cheaper than new hands, though.

Ummm in a word, no. I get them from a local saw shop, pay 4quid a pair. I did google them but could only find them at a few eBay stores and they were nearly £7 a pair. There is a thermal version as well but couldn't find anyone who sells them:'(

Bummer. Would you mind grabbng a few pairs and send them to South London and I can the paypal or bank transfer money plus postage and a couple of beers in it for you?

I'd like to try them and never seen them before. Andy Collins knows me quite well I hope he's vouch that I was trustworthy.

Rich (Rule)

A word of advice, by XL size if you have even normal size hands

Back