The anatomy of crane picks

Can someone explain a shelf cut to me, and why/when I'd want to use it? What I've gathered is it's either a straight cut through with a dog tooth left or a V cut leaving a notch. My assumption was it's used to control motion when the wood's released. Is that correct?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can someone explain a shelf cut to me, and why/when I'd want to use it? What I've gathered is it's either a straight cut through with a dog tooth left or a V cut leaving a notch. My assumption was it's used to control motion when the wood's released. Is that correct?
on a horizontal limb, you make a level cut, then intersect with a vertical ish cut close to the trunk, basically cuts a limb off and leaves a "shelf" for it to sit on while the climber gets out of the way and the crane takes it away

Absolutely.
Kids bragging themselves up on the internet scare the shit out of me.
im not bragging myself up in any ways, if I was doing that do you think I would talk about my mistakes?

imagine if you will, you wake up and say to yourself "im gonna sound like the bestest tree guy today and im gonna look like im so good at this I can do no wrong" you wouldnt then post about the time you fell, or had something go horribly wrong, you would post what went perfect, I post what went wrong more often so people learn from my mistakes, believe me if I wanted to sound smart I would

But even when you post about that, it is made up shit.
"I fell 40 feet and landed on my saw"

Yep, right, we certainly all believe that.

But even when you post about that, it is made up shit.
"I fell 40 feet and landed on my saw"

Yep, right, we certainly all believe that.
I dont give a frig what you believe
it happened, I had the bruises to prove it, and had 4 people watch it happen

nothing I post here is made up

edit, you must think I fell on the choppy bit, no, I landed on the air filter cover, choppy bit in the ground, banged me up some but nothing too bad
hell, August fell a while back, it was 60 or 70 feet if I remember right, had cut his rope below his hitch and didnt realize, and zipped right off the end of his rope, bet you believe him...

"ive done a couple hundred trees that nobody else had the balls to touch"

All of that in in 4 years of active duty.
Man, climbers down your way sure must be a bunch of cowards.

Now, when you think back on it, wasn't it maybe more like a couple thousand?"

Who the Hell here do you expect to believe shit like that, Murphy2.................................?

how long ago was may? ive done a LOT of crane work since then, 20 or 30 full 10-12 hour days, some jobs where the crane operator shut us down because it was getting dark on us

"ive done a couple hundred trees that nobody else had the balls to touch"

All of that in in 4 years of active duty.
Man, climbers down your way sure must be a bunch of cowards.

Now, when you think back on it, wasn't it maybe more like a couple thousand?"
just a few hundred, even if I only did one tree per week for these 4 years, thats still around 200 trees if we account for taking some weeks off around the holidays, during peak busy season we are 4-6 days a week, 1 to 10 trees per day, we can average 30 trees per week, which is a lot after almost 50 weeks per year of work, so a few hundred trees is really not that hard to accomplish
believe it if you want or not, I shall be unbothered by your opinion

Sophomore, another compound word that combined the wisdom of sophistēs with the Greek word mōros, meaning “foolish" (wise fool). (Mōros is also the etymon of moron).

Know that at your age, for various reasons, you will think you know a lot more than you do, think you have more skill and better judgement than you do, and you will be thoroughly convinced of this.

Just know that you are wrong, and act like you don't know much, but want to learn. Add some humility to some of you posts to counter any cockiness that might be perceived. And know when to shut up.

Not everyone's advice will work for you, but seriously consider it none the less. Many people still learn something new even after decades of doing the same work.

just a few hundred, even if I only did one tree per week for these 4 years, thats still around 200 trees if we account for taking some weeks off around the holidays, during peak busy season we are 4-6 days a week, 1 to 10 trees per day, we can average 30 trees per week, which is a lot after almost 50 weeks per year of work, so a few hundred trees is really not that hard to accomplish
believe it if you want or not, I shall be unbothered by your opinion
And all of them trees that everybody else chickened out on.
Only you could tackle them.
I'll be sure to call on you next time I run into one that scares me.
Old and frail and out of touch with things that I am, that shouldn't take long.

"when you have a 395 or 880 hanging on your hip"

This kid climbs with a 880.
I think I've used one in a tree 2 times.
But then, of course, I don't have nearly his experience.
Must have some almighty big trees down his way.

You simply can't help yourself, can you kid?

And all of them trees that everybody else chickened out on.
Only you could tackle them.
I'll be sure to call on you next time I run into one that scares me.
Old and frail and out of touch with things that I am, that shouldn't take long.
never said only I could do them, I was just the only one that would do them
anyone is capable of anything they want, these guys all said "no way" and I said "sounds like a fun challenge"
That's being dangerous as all get out.
yeah thats why we stopped, I can see decent at night but I wont work once the sun goes past the horizon, there was still some light left when we stopped but after the crane bill was handed to me it was dark enough I needed a light to read it, we werent actively picking at midnight without lights...

"when you have a 395 or 880 hanging on your hip"

This kid climbs with a 880.
I think I've used one in a tree 2 times.
But then, of course, I don't have nearly his experience.
Must have some almighty big trees down his way.

You simply can't help yourself, can you kid?
nobody said I climb with an 880, I did however use it as an example of a big heavy saw in which case you want suspenders, 500i, 395xp all day long tho, ive come close to needing the 881 in a tree but rather not drag 30+ pounds of saw up when I can double cut with a 28" bar and make due

"these guys all said "no way" and I said "sounds like a fun challenge"

Do you ever even read the stuff you post and wonder what it is going to sound like on the other end?

No point in trying to make and use a 20-sided wheel.

People overcomplicate the shot out of things, slowing things down with the latest, greatest internet trend, then defend it to the death.

There is a time and place for everything.

I could use my springboard a lot and take a lot of pictures, and tell all how great it is. I think it could be useful for residential people, rarely. I haven't used it in over a year, maybe 2. Its basically a fancier version of a ladder--- something that makes you taller and gives you a place to stand. My biggest drop-off was about 5'--NOTHING TO WRITE HOME ABOUT.
It meant a quick 3 cuts at 10' to fell a dead tree in a ravine, over a wall instead of on it, avoiding an $9-1200 crane bill. Same old, same old, just starting 5' higher.

So many jokers are the best tree men they know, beating their chests about doing things everyone else is scared to do ( or has more judgment than to do).

Stop well in advance of getting to dangerous stuff.

Residential very rarely needs to be a dangerous as people make it.

Yes, minimise risk. Don't think "I think it will be ok". Move obstacles, or do whatever extra prep work will make the danger minimal. Sometimes I forget how easy it us to just unhook telephone wires instead of working around them.

exactly, nothing I do is as dangerous as people think it is, behind the scenes its all very well planned out and thought through
I see lots of sketchy shit day to do, of course I do some, but I try to do it in a somewhat controlled manner, id like to never damage anything or anyone, but there is always the chance something goes wrong so you MUST be ready for it

Murphy's law states that “Anything that may go wrong will go wrong.” so do your best to avoid stuff going wrong
"these guys all said "no way" and I said "sounds like a fun challenge"

Do you ever even read the stuff you post and wonder what it is going to sound like on the other end?
yeah, what I posted makes total sense to me, but English is my first language too
Yes, minimise risk. Don't think "I think it will be ok". Move obstacles, or do whatever extra prep work will make the danger minimal. Sometimes I forget how easy it us to just unhook telephone wires instead of working around them.
we get lines dropped all the time, too bad I usually have a schedule and the power company says "we might do that this week some time"

I assume you were born with two ears and one mouth. When interacting with the professionals on this forum you would be wise to use them in that order. When you piss off Stig you’re just hurting yourself not him.

for every message I post, I have read about 10-20 others

so yeah going off what you say, I should talk 5-10 times as much as I do... but I wont, waste of time, you guys only wanna hear what you want to hear and nothing but that

Wanna find something in a post of mine that tells you English is my 3rd language and show it to me?

Back