New Chipper for TreeCareLA, too!

Either way, once you buy a chipper you will be loving life! I remember starting off hand stacking in a pickup, then using a 6" old school chipper and now the 15" drum... life is good! I actually love coming down and chipping after climbing.

jp:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm no fan of chipping. But jobs taking en extra hour to account for stacking and chopping up brush, or having to pay another worker for the day, or having to dump brush daily instead of dumping chips once a week all suck way worse than having to come down from a tree and spend some time chipping!

love
nick

nick, maybe a whisper chipper would suit you well, those 6" chippers are a waste of time, if i was getting a 9" it would be a bandit with a diesel, or a 12 " bandit...but a 12 or 16" whisper chipper is cheap and effective with little maint.
if you want to try out a few, ive got a few of my old chippers at my friends outfit in santa ana, you can ask all the questions of them you want, maybe try pulling em around the block and see how they feel on your truck
i sold them to my friends....cal line in the bay area has nice used equip

nick, maybe a whisper chipper would suit you well, those 6" chippers are a waste of time

Au contraire, mon frere. I was of that mindset until I did a job with a buddy who had a Brush Bandit 6 incher, and lemme tell ya it made the nicest chips I'd ever seen. And it did the job for trimming, which was what we were doing. All the bigger stuff went in the dump trailer.

It was a cute, lil chipper. Tiny tires!

Look at this purchase for the long term, go bigger than you need. Minimum 9 inch machine. I think a drum is a much more effective chipper for a tree service.

... agreed about Drum vs Disc ... although discs make a nice uniform lanndscape quality chip, those Bandits are prone to infeed clogs beggining at the inside corner... wheras Carl is correct the Drum takes better advantage of a smaller chute by design

It seems that smaller chippers are typically disc. Is there a small 6-9" drum chipper?

Would the operators notice a difference between the two?

Drums don't make as nice of chips? Huh. Learn sumfin new evry day.

love
nick
.... sort of true, older style chuck and ducks will pass long stringy material at times... my 7 inch 1 knife drum with hydraulic feed makes landscape quality chips, never something that won't spread or shovel

For example, Vermeer 620 and 625 are disc, not drum. Bandit 65xp, 75 xp, 90xp and 95xp are disc.

Sharp knives and anvil, along with proper gap between the two, contribute to better chips.

I wonder if there is some correlation between drum size and chip "quality" . A larger drum will cut down the grain more, whereas a smaller drum will cross-cut more, right?.

Also when buying I figured the weight of the Disc itself, I bet my drum weighs less ... Morbark's pocket drum has me convinced ... I formerly had my heart set on a Disc for chip quality.... I keep a sharp knife, try to keep undesireables out of the infeed ... never adjust the anvil clearance as I am a knife swapper just makes a slightly different size chip dependant on knife wear and resultant clearance

... the funny thing is I routinely discharge landscape chips into the woods or off the road maybe down a bank ... sometimes I will sell a load of Apple or Sugar Maple chips, for the most part around here in a tight market I want to destroy top and limbs, haul what I have to ... stuff that won't fit into the Morbark goes on the Trailer

My chipper has it (Vermeer 1250) and it is a nice feature, but we only use it about 10 times per year. I thought it would be great but it really doesnt rotate as much as you would think. Its really not that useful. Unless of coarse, if you want to buy my chipper then it works great and is the best feature around.

The best part about that isn't so much about moving the feed table as it is being able to move the discharge chute, to distribute the chips.

My drum chipper makes exceptional chips, ours are usually the first gone at the local gardens when we dump. I think it has more to do with the knife sharpness and anvil adjustment than anything. The disc chippers tend to be heavier as well. The 990xp is a great small drum chipper, it's quite a bit smaller size wise than the other drums by bandit but can take in up to 12". Whatever size you get make sure you get plenty of horsepower on your DIESEL engine, don't go gas. I would want at least a 80hp for a 9" machine personally. My 1590 has a 140HP perkins and it is a hungry beast!

jp:D

So I finally got out to the dealers. Got it narrowed to two options. Morbark M8D vs the Terex/Woodsman 710.

710 has a 9x12 opening and the M8D has a 8x12 opening
710 is $23,000. M8D is $19,000 (painted in our custom color. Price does not include tax)
710 uses centrifugal clutch and M8D is direct drive. I only barely understand the difference.
The M8D is a morbark. The 710 is not.

For approx $5,000 more I can put a 38hp diesel on the M8D. The 710 can't get diesel.

Other than that, I don't know how else to differentiate these machines.

Where would you go now? What other info would you consider.

love
nick

I have a Bandit 200 xp. It will eat a 12" log. It only has a 89 hp Perkins, so it needs to be babied a bit when eating the big stuff. Don't short yourself on HP. I bought used and would again if I had to.2001 with 2500 hrs for 8500. Previously loved by a Bartlett line crew, it was fleet maintained and eats wood like a hungry cougar. Whatever you choose do not short yourself on Hp.

Back