New Chipper for TreeCareLA, too!

NickfromWI

King of Splices
I see there are a couple threads on guys looking for new chippers. I have been following those threads, but thought I'd start one specific to what I'm looking for. As many of you know, I am very knaive in the way of machinery and engines. I change my own oil and check the fluids, but really I leave the rest to the mechanic.

Anyway, we are looking for our first chipper. I have used many (I've worked for about a dozen companies since 2001) types of chippers, but have never done a lick of maintenance on any chipper. Never changed a filter, changed oil, anything...other than putting fuel into it.

I want something not too beefy. We do a removal maybe once every other month. I honestly would be content with a 4" chipper and just rent on the occasions when we need a bigger one. But I'm going to hedge my bets a bit and look for something in the approx 9" cutting range. Most of the dealers around here are trying to get me to buy a 12" chipper. But these are the same type of guys that were telling me I needed a bigger chip truck and that the body must be made of steel. That turned out to not be the case.

For reference sake, here's the truck that will be towing it a GMC/Isuzu 4500.

joe jr 023.jpg

I am more interested in reducing wear on the truck, mileage, and maneuverability than I am raw power. Because I live in CA, it will be to my advantage to stay under 50 horsepower. That shouldn't be a prob looking at most of the chippers we are looking at.

Here is a spreadsheet of the ones we are currently researching. The office manager is doing the leg work on getting prices and what not. Right now used chippers are a very hot commodity in CA. Only certain chippers meet the requirements for air quality, and the used ones that do are quite expensive. We might end up with a brand new chipper. I am going to focus on what is the best 1 or 2 chippers for us, then we will try to find a used version of it that we can legally have. If I can't find it, I'll just get the new one. Even full priced, I should be able to have it paid off in a year no problem.

chipper info.png

My plan is to sorta compare all the numbers and pic the best one. I WANT the conehead, but I thought when I looked a month ago they had a smaller chipper. I called them and talked with some dude in Michigan about it...but now the smallest one I am seeing is 84 horsepower on a 12" or something like that. I like the idea of the conehead drum. It makes sense. However, as is, it doesn't look like they have one in the size range I need. I think I know which I prefer, but I wanted to throw it out to you guys.

Are there models I should add to the list? When you look at this list, which ones seem like they have NO business being in contention? What other factors should I consider other than HP and size?

Can't wait to stop renting! We are paying way too much and waking up way to early and rushing way too often to get back in time. I know the guys and gals that work with TreeCareLA will be SO happy when there is a chipper more consistently attached to the back of the truck!

love
nick

I think I mentioned my bias with Vermeer chippers when I was out there... I have just seen too many issues with them in recent years.

Nick when I worked for Pacific Tree Care in Calistoga they had two Morbark 6" drums with feed wheels. They were very light chippers and could handle an impressive amount of brush. A lot of jobs with tight access they were perfect. After having a smaller chipper and now having a larger 15" drum I personally wouldn't look back. I do a lot of fine pruning too, so that should say something. If I were looking at a chipper I wouldn't look any smaller than a 9", Bandit makes a really nice 990xp that is pretty light and reasonably price as well. THe 90xp disc chippers are also very good little machines for what they are. Good luck!

jp:D

I would narrow that list down to Morbark, Bandit, and Dosko. I wouldn't even consider Vermeer,

jp:D

After experiencing riding up 'the hill' along with you and Oscar in the cab and a light load, I would agree with Stephen's recommendation.
Go for a smaller, lighter one, and rent the large capacity for those infrequent larger-material takedowns.
Out here the 12" Morbark 290/Cummins diesel is great for our smaller chipper, but it would be an anchor on your truck.
My first girlfriend, err, chipper was a Morbark, and I have always been partial to them, but I've had great experiences with the Bandits and Coneheads, too.

Morbark or bandit is the way I would go. Not a big Vermeer fan at all for chippers, especially the smaller ones. Used a bc1000, even a brand new one almost, wasn't too impressed by it. Our Morbark model 17 is going on 18 or 19 years old and still chips like a champ. Heard some good things about woodsman, but since they've been taken over by Terex idk what has changed.

What dealer support do you have in your area? That'll be a huge factor for you it sounds like.

I love reading these threads on chippers. I'm in England and to hear you chaps saying that you wouldn't consider anything as small as 12" is hysterical for me.

A 12" chipper is very uncommon here with the most popular size being 6".
This is due to the costs of operating big trucks, licensing etc. Consequently most of us use trucks with a GVW of 3.5T which means a small chipper only.

The stuff you use is the stuff of dreams for us. I just wish you'd all put more photos on your threads here. We're big on photos on Arbtalk.

Cheers
Be safe.

OldMill,
At the risk of highjacking Nick's thread, here is the old Morbark 290 diesel I mentioned in the earlier post.
It was sitting in a construction company's yard in New Jersey because the owner was afraid to let his workers use it.
We got it for $3000US
Needed a radiator and the shock/dampener(bright yellow), and will need one hydraulic motor soon, but otherwise runs like a champ.

Morbark290a.jpg

Asking what chipper to get brings up the same debate everytime. It's just like Ford, Chevy or Stihl, Husky. The fact of the matter is that you need to get what's best for you with what's available. Support is huge, but if you find a killer deal on a chipper with no support, it might be a good idea to get that one.

In my situation, we pretty much decided on getting the 900 from Vermeer. We like that it's smaller and cheaper. Sure it's smaller and slower than the 1000 but it's also $10k cheaper. So for us the benefits out weigh the negatives. I guess things could change for us before we actually make the purchase, but that's what we decided on.

We are only looking at new chippers so I believe dealer support factors in more to deal with any warranty issues. On used chipper, I have found that a chipper is a chipper and we actually found cheaper service for our 1250 than Vermeer. If we were looking at used chippers, I would consider just about any make as long as it was what I wanted and it was a good price.

Nick,

I would buy the model of the size you can afford with all the bells and whistles. What I mean is go to the restaurant where you can afford drinks, appetizer, dinner and desert. Get the best brand and the best options in the size you know makes sense.

Hydraulic yoke (smashy smashy lever)
Curb feed
Winch
so on and so forth.

If you need a bigger capacity, which sounds infrequent, sub out the chipping to someone with a bigger machine.

Its actually nice for backing into tight spaces, you can 'steer' the chipper so to speak. You can push it about half way and then straighten it out, then the lever will let you skid the chipper in either direction.

It only turns one way to the right if you are facing the hopper/tray from the back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Regarding dealer locations, vermeer wins hands down. There is one in Compton...20 minutes away. Everyone else would be a 1.5hr drive, one way.

Honestly, emr's chipper is the one that looks most likely for us. Like he said, the price is great. The dealer is practically next door. And it's super tiny and maneuverable and somewhat affordable. If it breaks after the warranty, I'll just buy another one! (kidding, of course)

After we get all the prices I will look at the whole spreadsheet and see who wins. I'm thinking we will be able to buy this right after new years, depending on how much we save up.

Thats for helping me figure this out, dudes.

love
nick

... buying new should really diminish the close dealer service thing. New machines generally run great. I live in Vermont the dealer that sold (and delivered) is in Westbrook, Maine ... probably five hours towing, they have a smaller dealer in Palmer, Mass... probably two hours towing. I have never needed them other than parts orders and advice. Dealer offered to meet me halfway for anything crazy or pressing.

Back