My first post retirement climbing instructor contract

Burnham

Woods walker
Just returned from a week in Alabama, hired back by the US Forest Service to instruct/evaluate/certify a mixed batch of new and experienced climbers and instructors. It was a great week, super weather, nice folks many of which I'd worked with in the past. It was fun to get the juices going again after a couple of years away. One of the really good parts was how comfortable and strong my artificial hip is for me climbing! Made pretty good moolah in the process :).

Here's a few pictures. First a couple or three of the training site on the Talladega NF. Some spur climbing and rappelling on the RQ3, which is always an eye opener vs. a standard eared rescue 8 for those who haven't tried one. And I got some climbers on the HH, sorta challenging to dial it in to the varied harnesses and bodies in a training venue, but it met with many wide smiles by and large.

Attachments

• Talladega 021.jpg
    Talladega 021.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 95
  • Talladega 020.jpg
    Talladega 020.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 95
  • Talladega 023.jpg
    Talladega 023.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Talladega 034.jpg
    Talladega 034.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Talladega 037.jpg
    Talladega 037.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Talladega 039.jpg
    Talladega 039.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Talladega 040.jpg
    Talladega 040.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Talladega 041.jpg
    Talladega 041.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Talladega 043.jpg
    Talladega 043.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Talladega 049.jpg
    Talladega 049.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Talladega 050.jpg
    Talladega 050.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 93
That is really great, Burnham.
The old circus horse still steps lively when the music plays, eh!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
:lol:

It was fun, that's a fact. I don't mind having my ego stroked a bit, like most people, and when terms like "an institution", "a legend", "one of a kind experience level", "the finest instructor we will ever see" get bandied about, I'll admit to a warm glow.

I didn't put up much of a fight when the SE regional climbing program coordinator called me up :D.

Excellent news Burnham. I have always taken something away from your posts, so a training seminar must have been stellar. I'm glad your hip was cooperating.

Hate I missed you, Burnham. Next weekend I'll be in Mentone with my sweetie for our 25th anniversary getaway. Prolly within 50 miles of where you were....maybe next time!

Whose camera was that?! Did you get your photography permit? :D Glad to see you making money!

Man, It's awesome that your hip is working a charm. Coolest pics I've seen in some time. I would love to have been there.

Willie: Is that Cannon in your avatar pic. a 51"? I just used one to fall a mondo Hazelnut stob, and I loved it. Man, I love milled bars.

Wow! Climbing, teaching, having fun and making money. Not bad for an old fart. :P.

Good to hear that things are going well for you, my friend.

Back