MS201T

This will most certainly cause outrage in the industry. Even if its a good saw, the 200t has been the benchmark for climbing saws for sometime now.

Thinking I will grab another new one also. The older one I have (the one I had Brian fix) is on the shelf right now in a time out for giving me fits in a tree. :lol: Until I can tear into it anyway.. Probably just needs the exhaust cleaned out and a new carb.. I need to check the compression also to see if a top end might be in order. She has a lot of hours on her.
I bought a new one last year. Having three with the capability of being able to just rebuild them might very well be a good thing. An extra pound or so makes a big difference all day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think two on the shelf would be nice. One eventually use, then the other one bring to an auction in 30 years when climbing saws weigh 15lbs and retire off the profit.

Maybe Al and Timberwolf will figure out how to hog out all the useless stuff and make em scream for us.

And how much do the pollution from chainsaws amount to, compared to cars and trucks.
Or lawnmowers for that matter.

I think this is something worth researching before we point fingers and worthless government control. I was at a presentation about air quality once (i AM a tree hugger, afterall) and they gave the numbers of combined output of the countries saws, lawnmowers, blowers and weedwackers and it was very significant compared to output of cars. I don't remember the numbers, so I won't guess. But I remember sitting there thinking, "holy crap- no way."

That said- It's 2010. They can't figure out how to meet gov't guidelines AND make the saw LIGHTER?

Maybe this is a scam and it's just a way to temporarily bump up 200T sales!

love
nick

I think this is something worth researching before we point fingers and worthless government control. I was at a presentation about air quality once (i AM a tree hugger, afterall) and they gave the numbers of combined output of the countries saws, lawnmowers, blowers and weedwackers and it was very significant compared to output of cars. I don't remember the numbers, so I won't guess. But I remember sitting there thinking, "holy crap- no way."

That said- It's 2010. They can't figure out how to meet gov't guidelines AND make the saw LIGHTER?

Maybe this is a scam and it's just a way to temporarily bump up 200T sales!

love
nick

When you think of the big picture, saws are just a piss in Atlantic.

If you take a plane load of Stihl saws from Germany to US, or Husqvarna saws to US, I bet the plane use more fuel this ride than the saws do their entire lifespan.
Then you have trucks to distribute the saws to dealers. Customers that go get them in their cars....
When considering the consequent a product have on environment, manufacturing and run time is a factor over looked.
They make products using more material in them, often materials that is less friendly than 20 years ago. Engines that last a good deal less and often produce less work/amount of fuel to a much higher cost in purchase and service. This is the case of many "new generation" fresh air engines. Not to forget is development of the saws...
There are a lot of saws built and they need to be taken care of later. Some stuff used in saws today are not so good to have in circulation. I think particularly of the different types of exoust burners and heat plates in mufflers.

As for the saw industry the environmental thing is more marketing than anything else, a race to get most attention, not best product to best price.

There are much bigger issues to deal with that give more bang for the buck...
Next time the world leaders meet to discuss this perhaps it is taken more serious...

The hole worlds nation leaders discuss one thing for the first time ever! Most were there for 3-4 day's, Obama was there a afternoon.

This environmental discussion that is going right now is more about Money. What products to consume and marketing of these rather than solutions to a problem.

Recent events on island should show that no matter what we do there will be a lot of pollution. One (in comparison) tiny volcano let out more "crap" in a day than hole mankind did in a year. And this was one of all active today in sea and on land.

A decision is made that we should not use regular light bulbs here after 2010. We should instead use the environmentally correct ones that cost 10 times more to produce and leave a used product that is not so easy to recycle correct. They are more like a florescent light tube and burn lots of energy to start, but not so much once they are warm and going.

So unless we have hole house lit up all the time, we will not save much energy.

Of all the things that are pollutant why in the world the EPA has targeted small engines remains a big mystery to me .There are certainly bigger fish to fry than chainsaws and lawnmower engines I would think .

I agree with Magnus that the CFL light bulbs are an exercise in futlity .FWIF the last incandescent bulb maker in the US ceased production of same .Now you get Chinese bulbs which comes as no surprise given the way things have been going .CFL's by the way are not new at all .It's just that the more modern twisty shape gives them more surface area for illumination than the older self ballasted types of yesteryear .A reinvention of the wheel so to speak

Let me guess Magnus: You're really from the U.S., but we kicked you out for using your head too much. You're airplane delivery analogy practically made me laugh out loud.

There are also the container ships carrying saws and burning the sludge like bunker fuel with it's long list of pollutants....1000-2000 gallons per hour.

Let me guess Magnus: You're really from the U.S., but we kicked you out for using your head too much. You're airplane delivery analogy practically made me laugh out loud.

I think you might be correct! I am hanging pretty loose here too at times...
Best is if you just shut up and do as every one else with out thinking or try to understand.

On the bright side, I don't think it can be any worse than a 192t.

Oh I wouldn't panic just yet .Chances are the good old 200's could be around for another day or two at least .There might come a time though they would disappear from the North American market .

However several icons of the Stihl line up have gone abroad as far as sales but the parts are still available .I'm one who believes that as long as repair parts are available that any thing can be kept operational almost forever .Not all share in my view point though .:)

At least the 192t is light!

I have never ran a 192T. But that PH weight does look nice to a hacker like me that uses a top handle one handed most of the day trimming up trees and my forearms start to burn and feel it after a few hours of cutting. The 200T felt just right and the Solo 637T I replaced it with isnt near as fast, but well balanced one handed too.

I just dont know if I could one hand a 9lb plus TH saw very long safely and that might just be the REAL picture they are looking at. ;)

Good point, I think a lot of us kinda overlooked that.If i wanted a 9-10 pound climbing saw, I'd go back to climbing with either my 026 or my 55 husky.

Those of us who saw it coming when the do-gooders were all clamoring for government action 10-15 years ago tried to argue against it, but we were looked upon with disgust and pity because we weren't bright enough to see the bigger picture. :roll:

Back